London Banter

-   -   Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13369-daily-telegraph-150-fascinating-tube.html)

Robin9 January 10th 13 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recliner[_2_] (Post 135404)
The Telegraph has compiled a list of 150 "Tube facts" to go with the
anniversary. Most will be known to the well informed members of this group,
but some may not be, and some are bound to be disputed. Here's their list:

17. The London Underground manages about 10 per cent of all green spaces in
London.

Can point 17 be true? How are they defining "London?" Just Central London?
And is that the number of individual green spaces and not the acreage?
Presumably they are excluding Epping Forest, Hampstead Heath, Mitcham
Common, Wanstead Flats etc.

Roland Perry January 10th 13 12:16 PM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

In message , at 11:10:49 on
Thu, 10 Jan 2013, David Walters remarked:

125. Nineteen stations just use lifts.

They have stairs as well.

A list I've been looking for but haven't been able to find is stations,
or platforms really, that don't have publicly accessible stairs.

I've always understood that every station with "only" lifts also has
emergency stairs (that may not be well signposted for regular use). And
also some stations still have the stairs despite now being fitted with
escalators (TCR springs to mind).

Then there's another set of stations with stairs in between the
escalators. Marble Arch as an example?

Recliner[_2_] January 10th 13 12:29 PM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 22:48:23 -0800 (PST), Offramp
wrote:

On Jan 9, 10:27*pm, Recliner wrote:

134. In cockney rhyming slang, the London Underground is known as the Oxo
(Cube/ Tube).

News to me!

And to me too, but even more remarkably, to Bob Crow (on the Daily
Politics show).

Mr Crow was a surprisingly pleasant guest, who turned out to agree
with Boris on transport matters such as Crossrail 2. He didn't do too
well on the LU 150 quiz (he obviously hadn't read this thread or the
Telegraph). Oddly, the only politician he criticised was the Labour
transport minister who he said had shut the Ongar line (the politician
in question is rather more famous for her previous career, Glenda
Jackson). In fact, of course, it was closed in 1994, during the Major
administration. Is Bob becoming a closet Tory?

David Walters January 10th 13 01:03 PM

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 13:16:08 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:10:49 on
Thu, 10 Jan 2013, David Walters remarked:

125. Nineteen stations just use lifts.

They have stairs as well.

A list I've been looking for but haven't been able to find is stations,
or platforms really, that don't have publicly accessible stairs.

I've always understood that every station with "only" lifts also has
emergency stairs (that may not be well signposted for regular use). And
also some stations still have the stairs despite now being fitted with
escalators (TCR springs to mind).

I think that is true but some stations have escalators and no fixed
stairs, assuming everything is working. The stairs at Angel still seem to
be present but I think I'd cause a disturbance if I exited the platforms
that way.

If you have a desire to avoid lifts and escalators then a lot of the
underground is off limits and it is very hard to plan a route with
available information.

Basil Jet[_3_] January 10th 13 01:53 PM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

On 2013\01\10 09:08, Roland Perry wrote:

28.The station with the most escalators is Waterloo with 23.

I wonder how that's counted, for example there are two which are
arguably part of the National Rail station, plus another two very close
by, that used to travel up to the Eurostar Concourse.

58. The total number of lifts on the Underground, including four stair
lifts, is 164.

Same question really. How many of the lifts at Kings Cross/St Pancras
are deemed to be "On The Underground" and how many are part of the
National Rail infrastructure.

Simple, who owns them, who pays to clean them, who pays to repair them.
There's nothing arbitrary about this.

Robin[_4_] January 10th 13 02:05 PM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

snip Oddly, the only politician he criticised was the Labour
transport minister who he said had shut the Ongar line (the politician
in question is rather more famous for her previous career, Glenda
Jackson). In fact, of course, it was closed in 1994, during the Major
administration. Is Bob becoming a closet Tory?

Possibly depends on the meaning of "shut"? I thought services stopped
running in 1994 but that it was not until 1998, when Glenda Jackson was
the junior Minister with responsibility for transport in London, that
the line was sold.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Recliner[_2_] January 10th 13 02:17 PM

"Robin" wrote:
snip Oddly, the only politician he criticised was the Labour
transport minister who he said had shut the Ongar line (the politician
in question is rather more famous for her previous career, Glenda
Jackson). In fact, of course, it was closed in 1994, during the Major
administration. Is Bob becoming a closet Tory?

Possibly depends on the meaning of "shut"? I thought services stopped
running in 1994 but that it was not until 1998, when Glenda Jackson was
the junior Minister with responsibility for transport in London, that
the line was sold.

Ah, that explains it. But it had been formally closed before then, hadn't
it?

[email protected] January 10th 13 02:25 PM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at 11:10:49
on Thu, 10 Jan 2013, David Walters remarked:

125. Nineteen stations just use lifts.

They have stairs as well.

A list I've been looking for but haven't been able to find is stations,
or platforms really, that don't have publicly accessible stairs.

I've always understood that every station with "only" lifts also has
emergency stairs (that may not be well signposted for regular use).
And also some stations still have the stairs despite now being fitted
with escalators (TCR springs to mind).

Then there's another set of stations with stairs in between the
escalators. Marble Arch as an example?

How many stations don't have at least one flight of stairs as well as
escalators between street and platform?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry January 10th 13 03:09 PM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

In message , at 14:53:31 on
Thu, 10 Jan 2013, Basil Jet remarked:
58. The total number of lifts on the Underground, including four stair
lifts, is 164.

Same question really. How many of the lifts at Kings Cross/St Pancras
are deemed to be "On The Underground" and how many are part of the
National Rail infrastructure.

Simple, who owns them, who pays to clean them, who pays to repair them.
There's nothing arbitrary about this.

But do he people counting them (for press articles like this) use that
criteria?

Roland Perry January 10th 13 03:44 PM

Daily Telegraph: 150 fascinating Tube facts

In message , at 09:25:16
on Thu, 10 Jan 2013, remarked:

How many stations don't have at least one flight of stairs as well as
escalators between street and platform?

I don't know. (Needs more research)

Can't recall any stairs at Kings Cross/St Pancras deep tube for example.
(Assuming we mean real stairs not frozen escalators).