London Banter

-   -   Heathrow Connect and Oyster (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13381-heathrow-connect-oyster.html)

Richard January 23rd 13 08:00 PM

Heathrow Connect and Oyster

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 07:57:58 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 16:46:51
on Sun, 20 Jan 2013, remarked:

Premium (extra cost) services to airports are very much the norm.

Examples? No premiums to the last two European airports I've used.

There's a premium on the metro to Madrid airport [...]

....although it doesn't apply to any "period" tickets, including the
tourist n-day tickets. When I used it the premium would have been one
euro, not much but still quite controversial there.

As you hint, there's no premium that I can remember on the suburban
trains, which like in Barcelona have a relatively infrequent service
to the airport.

RENFE avoid needing to declare a premium for Barcelona airport by
tweaking the zone boundaries to put it in zone 4. I only found out
recently that the transport authority's zones are different, and the
*very* reasonable one-zone fare is enough to get there on their
tickets. Eventually we'll be able to get the metro there, to a
station that like many Spanish main-line stations' metro stops will
leave you *just* outside where you want to go. Territorial disputes?

Richard.

tim..... January 24th 13 11:59 AM

wrote:

In message , at 16:46:51
on Sun, 20 Jan 2013, remarked:

Premium (extra cost) services to airports are very much the norm.

Examples? No premiums to the last two European airports I've used.

There's a premium on the metro to Madrid airport [...]

...although it doesn't apply to any "period" tickets, including the
tourist n-day tickets. When I used it the premium would have been one
euro, not much but still quite controversial there.

only be the cheapskates who thought that they could get away without paying
it!

tim

Roland Perry January 24th 13 12:13 PM

Heathrow Connect and Oyster

In message , at 12:59:45 on Thu, 24
Jan 2013, tim..... remarked:
There's a premium on the metro to Madrid airport [...]

...although it doesn't apply to any "period" tickets, including the
tourist n-day tickets. When I used it the premium would have been one
euro, not much but still quite controversial there.

only be the cheapskates who thought that they could get away without
paying it!

There are vending machines at the airport station (before you get to the
barriers) which sell the supplement. In the grand scheme of things, one
Euro more on a foreign trip is neither here nor there.

tim..... January 25th 13 09:12 AM

Heathrow Connect and Oyster

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 12:59:45 on Thu, 24 Jan
2013, tim..... remarked:
There's a premium on the metro to Madrid airport [...]

...although it doesn't apply to any "period" tickets, including the
tourist n-day tickets. When I used it the premium would have been one
euro, not much but still quite controversial there.

only be the cheapskates who thought that they could get away without
paying it!

There are vending machines at the airport station (before you get to the
barriers) which sell the supplement.

I know

I had a "fun" hour there once watching all the people who thought that they
cheated the system by getting a "normal" ticket look at the exit checks with
horror (as normally in Madrid there are none).

In the grand scheme of things, one Euro more on a foreign trip is neither
here nor there.

I agree

didn't stop them trying to avoid it though

tim