Old February 1st 13, 01:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default As expected, Geely buys London Taxi manufacturer

To no-one's surprise, Geely has bought the remains of LTI from the
administrator. More surprisingly, they say they intend to resume
production in Coventry for the UK market; left-hand drive markets will
continue to be supplied from Shanghai. As before, I assume most of the
components assembled in the Coventry factory will continue to come
from China.

What will be more interesting is if Geely invests in creating a more
modern, fuel-efficient and non-polluting successor to the old low-tech
London cab, which now has Mercedes Vito competition, with Nissan's
cheaper contender just round the corner.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-21290935

Old February 1st 13, 01:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 13:09:23 +0000
Recliner wrote:
production in Coventry for the UK market; left-hand drive markets will
continue to be supplied from Shanghai. As before, I assume most of the

I'm amazed their are any left hand drive markets. Who on earth would
voluntarily buy one of these fossils unless regulations forced it on them?

B2003

Old February 1st 13, 02:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 08:43:36 -0600,
wrote:

In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

To no-one's surprise, Geely has bought the remains of LTI from the
administrator. More surprisingly, they say they intend to resume
production in Coventry for the UK market; left-hand drive markets will
continue to be supplied from Shanghai. As before, I assume most of the
components assembled in the Coventry factory will continue to come
from China.

What will be more interesting is if Geely invests in creating a more
modern, fuel-efficient and non-polluting successor to the old low-tech
London cab, which now has Mercedes Vito competition, with Nissan's
cheaper contender just round the corner.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-21290935

Their representative interviewed on Radio 4 before lunch (You and Yours?)
said they would be developing modern successor to the TX4. Not sure I
believed him.

Yes, I heard the interview and had the same reaction. I suspect that
he doesn't really know, as the development work would be approved and
happen in China, not Coventry. But I didn't think the hydrogen waffle
was very credible. LPG fuel seemed a better bet, but either way, I
don't think they'll be allowed to use diesel for much longer.
Old February 1st 13, 06:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 08:43:36 -0600,
wrote:

In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

[...]

Is anything happening about electric taxis? Apart from Velotaxis
(electrically assisted pedal tricycles) that is.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old February 1st 13, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 08:43:36 -0600,
wrote:

In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

[...]

I don't think they have a useful range, and also cost far too much.
Old February 1st 13, 08:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 01/02/2013 13:09, Recliner wrote:
To no-one's surprise, Geely has bought the remains of LTI from the
administrator. More surprisingly, they say they intend to resume
production in Coventry for the UK market; left-hand drive markets will
continue to be supplied from Shanghai. As before, I assume most of the
components assembled in the Coventry factory will continue to come
from China.

What will be more interesting is if Geely invests in creating a more
modern, fuel-efficient and non-polluting successor to the old low-tech
London cab, which now has Mercedes Vito competition, with Nissan's
cheaper contender just round the corner.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-21290935

I wonder if Ratan was interested?
Old February 1st 13, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

" wrote:
On 01/02/2013 13:09, Recliner wrote:
To no-one's surprise, Geely has bought the remains of LTI from the
administrator. More surprisingly, they say they intend to resume
production in Coventry for the UK market; left-hand drive markets will
continue to be supplied from Shanghai. As before, I assume most of the
components assembled in the Coventry factory will continue to come
from China.

What will be more interesting is if Geely invests in creating a more
modern, fuel-efficient and non-polluting successor to the old low-tech
London cab, which now has Mercedes Vito competition, with Nissan's
cheaper contender just round the corner.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-21290935

I wonder if Ratan was interested?

Ratan Tata has retired, but if Tata was interested in the London taxi
market, it'd launch a new model, perhaps based on the new Range Rover. Why
would it want to acquire the superannuated assets of LTI? Geely really was
the only likely buyer, given the previous relationship between the
companies.
Old February 1st 13, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

http://www.frazernash.co.uk/news/story.asp?pageID=1358
Old February 1st 13, 09:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Basil Jet) wrote:

On 2013\02\01 18:50,
wrote:

Is anything happening about electric taxis? Apart from Velotaxis
(electrically assisted pedal tricycles) that is.

http://www.frazernash.co.uk/news/story.asp?pageID=1358

Vairy interesting...

--
Colin Rosenstiel