Old May 2nd 08, 07:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default If Boris does win as now expected

....what might be the effect on TfL's ability to press on with all the major
projects, given that Ken seems so much of a motivator?

Paul S

Old May 2nd 08, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On May 2, 12:49*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
...what might be the effect on TfL's ability to press on with all the major
projects, given that Ken seems so much of a motivator?

Paul S

Probably not good.

What I want to know is how a county, OK region, of seven million
people could have such an abysmal choice of candidates?
Old May 2nd 08, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 2 May 2008 13:02:28 -0700 (PDT), Solario
wrote:

On May 2, 12:49*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
...what might be the effect on TfL's ability to press on with all the major
projects, given that Ken seems so much of a motivator?

My guess is that those which are contractually committed will continue
e.g. ELLX and DLR. I'm much less certain about Crossrail as I expect
someone, somewhere will seek to reopen the funding package in order to
exert some leverage. I wouldn't be surprised to see Superlink try again
- Mr Schabas posted something in response to a recent article in the
Standard.

I certainly doubt the DfT will give Boris ELLX Phase 2 on a plate and I
expect the Southern franchise "split" will stop dead in its tracks too.
There are already dire reports emerging about its attractiveness to the
private sector anyway due to the impact of Thameslink project
disruption. Why would DfT want to fund Ken's spec for Inner London
services if he's not around any more? Why would Boris want to spend the
money either given he's all about value for money (i.e. cuts) rather
than the output in terms of better service.

The real issues that bother me are funding for Metronet once within TfL
and just what work will go ahead and also the future of the bus network.
The utter nonsense of Boris's bus policy could result in hundreds of
millions of pounds being wasted on achieving next to nothing. I'd much
rather that what money there is is spent on improving the network. The
other shock people will get is bus cutbacks in West London if Boris
scraps the westward CC zone and also the next fares revision. I don't
recall hearing a word about Boris's policies on LU and Bus fares -
prepare to be shocked come January next year.

Probably not good.

What I want to know is how a county, OK region, of seven million
people could have such an abysmal choice of candidates?

I'm actually more disappointed at what an utterly dreadful, lacklustre
and irrelevant campaign it was. Very little of substance or importance
was discussed (IMO) and I had 3 leaflets through my door and no
canvassers at all. They all deserve a bloody great big kick up the
arse if they think they can get away with a few soundbites and photos in
the Standard as the sum total of their involvement with voters who have
to go to work for a living.

--
Paul C

Old May 2nd 08, 08:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 2 May 2008 13:02:28 -0700 (PDT), Solario
wrote:

On May 2, 12:49 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
[...]

I guess a lot depends on the small number of permanent staff at the GLA, and
the transport commisioner etc. They'll need to brief Boris on the facts of
all the projects - just like when Government changes and all the manifesto
proposals get 'calmed down' by the civil service. I was also thinking
though of the treasury tightening the purse strings - National Government
aren't renowned for flashing the cash in the 'blue' parts of the country are
they...

Paul S

Old May 2nd 08, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On May 2, 1:43*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 2 May 2008 13:02:28 -0700 (PDT), Solario
wrote:

On May 2, 12:49*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
[...]

Very succinct. I cannot argue with any of your points.

This is a sad day for London.

Then again, I can remember the election of Horace Cuttler. Not to
mention the abolition of the GLC.

So given time, London should bounce back.

Old May 2nd 08, 09:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:

I guess a lot depends on the small number of permanent staff at the GLA, and
the transport commisioner etc. They'll need to brief Boris on the facts of
all the projects - just like when Government changes and all the manifesto
proposals get 'calmed down' by the civil service.

Johnson says that TfL senior management is paid too much and needs to be
shaken up. If I were them, I would be looking for new jobs.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old May 2nd 08, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit

On May 2, 2:13*pm, Michael Hoffman wrote:
Paul Scott wrote:
I guess a lot depends on the small number of permanent staff at the GLA, and
the transport commisioner etc. They'll need to brief Boris on the facts of
all the projects - just like when Government changes and all the manifesto
proposals get 'calmed down' by the civil service.

Johnson says that TfL senior management is paid too much and needs to be
shaken up. If I were them, I would be looking for new jobs.
--
Michael Hoffman

The man sounds clueless.

This is a time of great opportunities for London. Boris sounds like
just the guy to miss them.

Old May 2nd 08, 09:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

http://london-underground.blogspot.c...rom-boris.html
--
Michael Hoffman
Old May 2nd 08, 10:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 02 May 2008 22:39:19 +0100, Michael Hoffman
wrote:

Michael Hoffman wrote:
Paul Scott wrote:

I guess a lot depends on the small number of permanent staff at the
GLA, and the transport commisioner etc. They'll need to brief Boris on
the facts of all the projects - just like when Government changes and
all the manifesto proposals get 'calmed down' by the civil service.

Johnson says that TfL senior management is paid too much and needs to be
shaken up. If I were them, I would be looking for new jobs.

http://london-underground.blogspot.c...rom-boris.html

Yet more cheap politics in order to grab a headline. If LU loses Tim
O'Toole as a result of a Boris mayoralty then that would be a complete
travesty. He's the best MD we've had in the more than 20 years I've
been with LU.
--
Paul C

Old May 2nd 08, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Johnson says that TfL senior management is paid too much and needs to be
shaken up. If I were them, I would be looking for new jobs.

I wonder what that means for a certain LUL manager who posts in this
newsgroup :-|