London Banter

-   -   Rotherhithe tunnel (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/13457-rotherhithe-tunnel.html)

[email protected] March 19th 13 08:48 AM

Rotherhithe tunnel

I'm wondering what genius decided to put a width restriction in the tunnel.
Was it to deliberately case immense traffic jams or was it just for a laugh?

--
Spud

David Walters March 19th 13 09:14 AM

Rotherhithe tunnel

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 09:48:05 +0000 (UTC), d wrote:
I'm wondering what genius decided to put a width restriction in the tunnel.
Was it to deliberately case immense traffic jams or was it just for a laugh?

It seems TfL did and they give some of their reasons at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/27385.aspx

[email protected] March 19th 13 09:31 AM

Rotherhithe tunnel

wrote:
I'm wondering what genius decided to put a width restriction in the tunnel.
Was it to deliberately case immense traffic jams or was it just for a laugh?

It seems TfL did and they give some of their reasons at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/27385.aspx

Hmm.

"The tunnel is now over 100 years old "

And what? For a tunnel in london thats comparatively young.

"will significantly reduce the risk of vehicle collisions,"

Translation: It'll reduce the traffic flow to a trickle.

" spillage of flammable materials, and fires in the tunnel."

Translation: This is our pretend "real" reason for doing it but we know its
BS and we know you knows its BS but there's nothing you can do about it and
we don't care anyway.

So there's already pressure on thames river crossings in the east and
TfL just go and make it even worse. Seriously, there should be a medal for
an organisation this stupid.

--
Spud

Basil Jet[_3_] March 19th 13 09:41 AM

Rotherhithe tunnel

On 2013\03\19 10:31, d wrote:

So there's already pressure on thames river crossings in the east and
TfL just go and make it even worse. Seriously, there should be a medal for
an organisation this stupid.

There is...
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...s-8532139.html

eastender[_4_] March 19th 13 10:03 AM

Rotherhithe tunnel

On 2013-03-19 10:31:15 +0000, d said:

So there's already pressure on thames river crossings in the east and
TfL just go and make it even worse. Seriously, there should be a medal for
an organisation this stupid.

There was a jam on the A13 this morning before the tunnel approach that
delayed me in the area.

But I expect you have to weigh up early teething with jams when there
are accidents.

E.

[email protected] March 19th 13 10:15 AM

Rotherhithe tunnel

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 11:03:34 +0000
On 2013-03-19 10:31:15 +0000, d said:

So there's already pressure on thames river crossings in the east and
TfL just go and make it even worse. Seriously, there should be a medal for
an organisation this stupid.

There was a jam on the A13 this morning before the tunnel approach that
delayed me in the area.

But I expect you have to weigh up early teething with jams when there
are accidents.

Its a width restriction so its not going away anytime soon and so neither
will the jams. All that will happen is people use another crossing and so
the jams get worse there too. The blackwall tunnel approach is going to end up
absolutely stuffed. Not that TfL will care, they'll probably paint it as a
success.

--
Spud

eastender[_4_] March 19th 13 10:23 AM

Rotherhithe tunnel

On 2013-03-19 11:15:22 +0000, d said:

Its a width restriction so its not going away anytime soon and so neither
will the jams. All that will happen is people use another crossing and so
the jams get worse there too. The blackwall tunnel approach is going to end up
absolutely stuffed. Not that TfL will care, they'll probably paint it as a
success.

TFL say only an average of 103 per day out of 33,000, or 0.3% of
vehicles are affected. It only takes one of these though to hit
something in the tunnel to cause bigger problems.

E.

[email protected] March 19th 13 10:31 AM

Rotherhithe tunnel

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 11:23:11 +0000
On 2013-03-19 11:15:22 +0000, d said:

Its a width restriction so its not going away anytime soon and so neither
will the jams. All that will happen is people use another crossing and so
the jams get worse there too. The blackwall tunnel approach is going to end

up
absolutely stuffed. Not that TfL will care, they'll probably paint it as a
success.

TFL say only an average of 103 per day out of 33,000, or 0.3% of
vehicles are affected. It only takes one of these though to hit
something in the tunnel to cause bigger problems.

Its not the number affected thats the problem - its everyone else crawling
at a snails pace through the absurdly narrow restriction. They would have been
doing 20-30mph at that point , now they'll be doing 2 or 3mph. Way to go TfL.

--
Spud

Robin9 March 19th 13 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 136593)
d wrote:
[...]

It isn't stupidity. It's malice and mischievousness, and it has been since TfL was first established.

This vandalism of a major road route is merely the latest in a long, long line.

[email protected] March 20th 13 10:37 AM

Rotherhithe tunnel

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 17:17:13 +0000
Robin9 wrote:
;136593 Wrote:
So there's already pressure on thames river crossings in the east and
TfL just go and make it even worse. Seriously, there should be a medal
for
an organisation this stupid.

It isn't stupidity. It's malice and mischievousness, and it has been
since TfL was first established.

I wouldn't put it beyond the bounds of reason to assume that causing
gridlock is a cynical way of getting people onto public transport. And
hence more money in TfLs coffers.

--
Spud