Old April 21st 13, 03:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default And the trains ran on time under Mussolini

On 2013-04-21 07:04:32 +0000, Roland Perry said:

In message , at 07:32:54 on Sun, 21 Apr
2013, Martin Edwards remarked:
The characters in EastEnders do not speak cockney, for example, but
North London.

Appropriate, given that it's filmed near Watford.

Which no-one would consider to be North London, where I come from, so
far as accents go. At one time I could certainly distinguish North
London from East London from Islington from South London and so on. I'm
not sure I can any more.

Old April 21st 13, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message 2013042116080759774-ken@birchangercom, at 16:08:07 on Sun,
21 Apr 2013, Ken Wheatley remarked:

The characters in EastEnders do not speak cockney, for example, but
North London.

Appropriate, given that it's filmed near Watford.

Which no-one would consider to be North London, where I come from,

"North of Watford" means nothing then?

so far as accents go.

Do they have 'Hertfordshire accents' (whatever that is).

At one time I could certainly distinguish North London from East London
from Islington from South London and so on. I'm not sure I can any
more.

At one time I could place a person from Manchester (metro area) within a
few miles (eg Oldham va Rochdale vs Bolton). That was before people
became more mobile, of course.