Old January 28th 04, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Default Cycle parking at stations

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:51:45 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
wrote:

Jack Tyson wrote:

If better, any tips on easily-reversible ways to make it look
rubbish..?

Leave some dirt on. Tape wraped around frame is a common ploy but then
people might then think the frame is better than it is! :-)

It's looking pretty dirty at the moment so that's good.

I shall bear in mind the double-edged-sword element of taping the
frame...

If quick release wheels instead of nutted, the skewers could be replaced
with security skewers that require a separate special key to operate.
Same kind of thing can be done with seatpost (depending on what fastening
system your bike can take).
I recommend these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3656547117

Sounds like a good idea but I've no idea how these would be fitted -
I'm afraid I hate repairing mechanical things. Is it difficult?

Good d-lock (eg. Kryptonite) and perhaps a cable lock in addition for the
wheels or frame.

These are the locks I have.

An Oxford Revolver Armoured Cable Lock, £30, which I use to secure the
frame -
Pictu http://www.oxprod.com/Bicycle/Revolvercycle.jpg
PDF spec: http://www.oxprod.com/pdf/revolverpdf.pdf

And a Decathlon "SP3" cable lock, £5, which I usually run through the
quick release saddle, quick release front wheel and the frame
Pic: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/product/400/344737b.jpg
Product page:
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ukstore/produit.asp?int_DeptId=269&int_DeptPereId=33054&in t_PfId=344737

Any opinions on their suitability for protecting my bike?

--
Jack

Old January 28th 04, 11:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Just zis Guy, you know?) wrote:

Say goodbye to station bike parking misery with New, Improved Brompton!
http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/

I'd agree with that; I've only locked mine once over the last three
months. The rest of the time it comes into shops / the pub / the office
with me.
Old January 29th 04, 06:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

Jack Tyson wrote:

Apologies for the cross-post but I felt this was relevant to both
groups.

I want to cycle to Vauxhall or Waterloo to pick up a train, on a daily
basis, and I wondered if anyone could comment on the cycle parking at
these stations.

Waterloo Station has official cycle parking - what's it like? Are
there usually spaces? Is it free? How secure is it?

Vauxhall Station has no official cycle parking. Is there anything
suitable nearby? How secure is it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
Jack

There will be cycle racks at Vauxhall on completion of the bus station.
The TfL website has some more info at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/streets/vauxhallX_cycling.shtml

Chris
Old January 30th 04, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:25:54 GMT, (Jack Tyson) wrote:

These are the locks I have.

An Oxford Revolver Armoured Cable Lock, £30, which I use to secure the
frame -
Pictu http://www.oxprod.com/Bicycle/Revolvercycle.jpg
PDF spec: http://www.oxprod.com/pdf/revolverpdf.pdf

And a Decathlon "SP3" cable lock, £5, which I usually run through the
quick release saddle, quick release front wheel and the frame

If £5 is what you think the bike's worth, fine.

My bike was ~£570.
Lock: £50
Chain: £35

Bear in mind that if it's left in the same place regularly for long
periods, a thief can take his time to look at the bike, see the lock,
order his tools and return at a convenient time.
--
Comm again, Mike.
Old January 30th 04, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london

wrote:

These are the locks I have.

An Oxford Revolver Armoured Cable Lock, £30, which I use to
:secure the )frame -
Pictu
http://www.oxprod.com/Bicycle/Revolvercycle.jpg
PDF spec: http://www.oxprod.com/pdf/revolverpdf.pdf

And a Decathlon "SP3" cable lock, £5, which I usually run through
:the )quick release saddle, quick release front wheel and the frame

If £5 is what you think the bike's worth, fine.

My bike was ~£570.
Lock: £50
Chain: £35

Bear in mind that if it's left in the same place regularly for
long periods, a thief can take his time to look at the bike, see
the lock, order his tools and return at a convenient time.

I think that would have to be quite an expensive bike (e.g. like yours)
to be worth that much effort though. I have a bike that's worth £150
and looks fairly new and non-dodgy. For quite a while I locked it up
regularly outside West Ham station using a lock that's probably 8 to 10
years old, looks rather grotty and probably isn't very safe. It was
often the only bike there and as far as I can tell no one ever made any
attempt to steal it. The most that ever happened was a few times
someone twisted the gear changers.

I expect that £35 worth of lock on a £200 bike locked up in Waterloo
with lots of other bikes is probably plenty.

--
message by Robin May, enforcer of sod's law.
Enjoy the Routemaster while you still can.

Crime is confusing.