Old June 11th 13, 01:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TV Alert: BBC2 -- Running London's Roads

From: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b02yyh1c

Quote:
London's population has grown by a million in the last ten years. The
city's roads are full up - yet 8 of out 10 journeys by londoners are by
still by road. This means that 25,000 Transport for London workers now face
a daily battle to keep the capital moving. Every morning, 8,500 buses carry
six million passengers - double the number carried by the underground.
6,000 control them and the rest of road traffic, whilst 2000 dedicated
police keep the roads clear by racing to incidents large and small. This is
all overseen by the biggest traffic control centre in the world, which,
unbeknownst to most of us, orchestrates our journeys every day.

Filmed over a year, this six-part series from the makers of The Tube is the
story of the individuals who keep the system working - from nightbus
drivers to roadmenders to the controllers running it all. But it's also the
story of our capital now, as the city expands faster than ever.

The first episode reveals a city constantly on the verge of gridlock and
follows the TFL staff who try to keep the city moving.

At the Blackwall Tunnel, the most crucial mile of road in the whole city,
tow truck driver Sean has to deal with a pregnant motorist who can not face
driving through the tunnel. Meanwhile in the central control room, operator
Chris has to cope with multiple accidents blocking the roads on a single
Friday night. On the ground, Gurkha roadmender Indra faces abuse about his
pothole repairs. Finally, one typical rush hour morning, a helicopter
crashes into a crane near a busy interchange. Can the roads team stop the
city grinding to a halt?

Old June 11th 13, 08:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 20:31:04 -0500, Recliner

From: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b02yyh1c

Quote:
Filmed over a year, this six-part series from the makers of The Tube is the
story of the individuals who keep the system working - from nightbus
drivers to roadmenders to the controllers running it all. But it's also the
story of our capital now, as the city expands faster than ever.

Part 1 of 6 on BBC2, Tuesday 18/6/13 at 2100.
Old June 11th 13, 11:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 08:31:04PM -0500, Recliner wrote:

At the Blackwall Tunnel, the most crucial mile of road in the whole city,
... Finally, one typical rush hour morning, a helicopter
crashes into a crane near a busy interchange. Can the roads team stop the
city grinding to a halt?

Over-hyped much!?!?!

--
David Cantrell | Cake Smuggler Extraordinaire

You can't spell "slaughter" without "laughter"
Old June 11th 13, 07:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

From:http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b02yyh1c

Quote:
Filmed over a year, this six-part series from the makers of The Tube is the
story of the individuals who keep the system working - from nightbus
drivers to roadmenders to the controllers running it all. But it's also the
story of our capital now, as the city expands faster than ever.

Part 1 of 6 on BBC2, Tuesday 18/6/13 at 2100.

The hype consistently misuses the word "City", when the writer means
County or Region. The City of London has a population of 7.3
THOUSAND. It had considerably less before the Barbican was
constructed.
Old June 11th 13, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

From:http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b02yyh1c

Quote:
Filmed over a year, this six-part series from the makers of The Tube is the
story of the individuals who keep the system working - from nightbus
drivers to roadmenders to the controllers running it all. But it's also the
story of our capital now, as the city expands faster than ever.

Part 1 of 6 on BBC2, Tuesday 18/6/13 at 2100.

The hype consistently misuses the word "City", when the writer means
County or Region. The City of London has a population of 7.3
THOUSAND. It had considerably less before the Barbican was
constructed.

I see no incorrect references to the "the City". The lower case "city"
means the whole of London to any sensible person, which may not include Mr
Auer Hudson. I don't think the programme or the audience is interested in a
pedantic rehearsal of the various historical county structures that make up
modern London, just how the clogged traffic is kept flowing. It's a story
about London's traffic, not its historic local government structures.

Old June 11th 13, 10:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2013-06-11 01:31:04 +0000, Recliner said:

At the Blackwall Tunnel, the most crucial mile of road in the whole city,

I was stuck in a jam on the northern approach yet again today. I see
Boris was slammed (in the Standard I think) for failing on another
river crossing - apart from the cable car.

E.

Old June 12th 13, 04:07 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastender[_4_] View Post
On 2013-06-11 01:31:04 +0000, Recliner said:

At the Blackwall Tunnel, the most crucial mile of road in the whole city,

I was stuck in a jam on the northern approach yet again today. I see
Boris was slammed (in the Standard I think) for failing on another
river crossing - apart from the cable car.

E.
It's quite right that Boris Johnson should be criticised for the additional delays
in the north bound approach to the Blackwall Tunnel. He was Mayor when
TfL installed those new traffic lights at the end of Zetland Street and is
therefore responsible for the additional congestion, air pollution and bad
temper resulting from this act of vandalism.