Old June 19th 13, 05:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roy Roy is offline

Default authentic english village near London

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:42:57 AM UTC-4, antoine wrote:
Dear readers,

in a few days I will be in London for a short visit. My wife never was in
England and I would love to show her something of the old rural England.
Where should I go for an one day visit in an ancient english village?
Thank you for a tip.

Eynsford in Kent is a pretty little village, with a number of interesting attractions nearby: Eynsford Castle, Lullingstone Castle and Lullingstone Roman Villa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eynsford
--
Roy

Old June 19th 13, 06:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thank you Paul and thanks to all for the great suggestions.
(This is why I love England and the English)
Yes I am the same Antoine of other posts.
Now I have a lot to read.
Have a good night!
Old June 19th 13, 06:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2013-06-19 15:48:37 +0000, Recliner said:

With two of the best restaurants in the UK (for a while, the Fat Duck was
ranked the best in the world)

The Good Food Guide still says the FD is 'the experience of a lifetime'
- it's the only one with a score of 10 for cooking in the 2012 guide at
least. The Waterside Inn gets 7, Hind's Head 4.

For a less painful wallet experince but still a nice village-style
experinece by the river Cookham is nice - there's also an Indian,
Maliks, in the GFG there.

E.

Old June 19th 13, 08:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19/06/2013 05:42, antoine wrote:
Dear readers,
in a few days I will be in London for a short visit. My wife never was in
England and I would love to show her something of the old rural England.
Where should I go for an one day visit in an ancient english village?
Thank you for a tip.

May I suggest St. Reatham near Croydon.
Old June 19th 13, 09:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19/06/2013 05:42, antoine wrote:
Dear readers,
in a few days I will be in London for a short visit. My wife never was in
England and I would love to show her something of the old rural England.
Where should I go for an one day visit in an ancient english village?
Thank you for a tip.

The further from London the better, if you want something other than
commuter-land or retire-to-the-country-land.

Sussex could be a possibility - train to Berwick (being careful not to
end up on the Scottish border) and then the local bus (or a bit of a
walk) to the Cuckmere Valley area:
http://www.cuckmerebuses.org.uk/index.htm

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old June 20th 13, 01:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 04:42:57 +0000, antoine wrote:

Dear readers,
in a few days I will be in London for a short visit. My wife never was
in England and I would love to show her something of the old rural
England. Where should I go for an one day visit in an ancient english
village? Thank you for a tip.

Hambleden, but it might be a bit far and a bit too rural. It's between
Marlow and Reading. There's a few nice little villages round there sort
in the Wycombe/Henley/Marlow/Stokenchurch triangle.

--
Mike P
Old June 20th 13, 06:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 01:07:20 on Thu, 20 Jun
2013, Mike P remarked:
Hambleden, but it might be a bit far and a bit too rural. It's between
Marlow and Reading. There's a few nice little villages round there sort
in the Wycombe/Henley/Marlow/Stokenchurch triangle.

Difficult to get to by public transport, but there's always the
fictional "Dibley" (Turville). http://goo.gl/maps/Cs3ZU

Returning to the Shalford idea, you can walk from there to Bramley (and
back), along a disused canal and rail alignment:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/51165220
Old June 20th 13, 11:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 07:48:05 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 01:07:20 on Thu, 20 Jun
2013, Mike P remarked:
Hambleden, but it might be a bit far and a bit too rural. It's between
Marlow and Reading. There's a few nice little villages round there sort
in the Wycombe/Henley/Marlow/Stokenchurch triangle.

Difficult to get to by public transport, but there's always the
fictional "Dibley" (Turville). http://goo.gl/maps/Cs3ZU

Returning to the Shalford idea, you can walk from there to Bramley (and
back), along a disused canal and rail alignment:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/51165220

Actually, "Dibley"or "Midsomer"
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midsom...ming_locations) is
a good idea. I suspect visitors would rather see the modern TV version
of a classic English village than the typically rather less photogenic
reality (outside the Cotswolds).
Old June 20th 13, 02:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I'd also like to thank posters for their suggestions.
Old June 20th 13, 04:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 07:48:05 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 01:07:20 on Thu, 20 Jun
2013, Mike P remarked:
Hambleden, but it might be a bit far and a bit too rural. It's between
Marlow and Reading. There's a few nice little villages round there sort
in the Wycombe/Henley/Marlow/Stokenchurch triangle.

Difficult to get to by public transport

It is, sadly (or thankfully if you're a local), however I wonder if the
OP is able to hire a car? It would likely be cheaper for a day than PT
around these parts, and there's many such places to see within an hours
drive of "London" in any direction.

--
Mike P