Old June 23rd 13, 08:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default authentic english village near London

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 19:03:52 on Sat,
22 Jun 2013, Graham Harrison
remarked:
Take the train from Paddington to Castle Cary.

Hmm, that's not exactly near London (over £100 in fares) nor is an
overnight stop outside London in the brief, as far as I can tell.

If we are planning a "tour of England" we should start from scratch.

Which is why I said "a different solution" and using advance tickets would
reduce your fare significantly. Even using walk up fares Bath is on the
permitted route so you don't need three tickets.

Old June 23rd 13, 10:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:54:21 on
Sun, 23 Jun 2013, Graham Harrison
remarked:
Take the train from Paddington to Castle Cary.

Hmm, that's not exactly near London (over £100 in fares) nor is an
overnight stop outside London in the brief, as far as I can tell.

If we are planning a "tour of England" we should start from scratch.

Which is why I said "a different solution"

It's actually a "different problem".

and using advance tickets would reduce your fare significantly.

Not that significantly, especially as we are probably quite close to the
date of the trip. But they were the £100 I referred to. Also beware the
lack of flexibility, which can be an issue when on holiday.

Let's pick 2nd July (Tuesday week): Cheapest ticket for morning travel
is £21.50; Castle Cary to Bath, no APs, £11.70 single.

3rd July coming back mid afternoon: looking better, some £20.50's

So that's £53.70, or ahem £107.40 the pair.

You might chop a fiver off for choosing a less convenient train times.

Even using walk up fares Bath is on the permitted route so you don't
need three tickets.

Sure, but walk-up fares will be £163 (2xSVR - the super offpeak has such
big blackout periods it's of no practical use to this trip).

[Plus another £100 for staying one night in Bath, I assume he's already
paid for his accommodation in London. Also, it's awkward walking around
with overnight luggage, I wouldn't expect Castle Cary to have a left
luggage facility]