Old June 22nd 13, 12:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Freedom Pass - eligibility?

In message , at 11:23:49 on
Sat, 22 Jun 2013, Recliner remarked:
I would not be surprised to either see the national scheme scrapped
altogether, or associated with some proof (via your tax return) that
you have actually retired, at some point before 2017.

How would my tax return show whether or not I've actually retired? I'm not
even sure myself!

Any income from employment or self-employment. (Or perhaps, any "taxable
income", which would give people their personal allowance as pocket
money).

But pensions are taxable income.

Not in the sense of "income from employment". I recommend you read the
HMR&C guidance on the matter.
Old June 22nd 13, 12:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:21:00 on
Sat, 22 Jun 2013, Recliner remarked:
They just don't seem to understand the concept of someone who
lives comfortably off their investments.

It's called "independently wealthy" and several questionnaires do
recognise the concept.
Old June 22nd 13, 01:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
06:32:50 on Sat, 22 Jun 2013,
remarked:
I would not be surprised to either see the national scheme scrapped
altogether, or associated with some proof (via your tax return) that
you have actually retired, at some point before 2017.

How would my tax return show whether or not I've actually retired? I'm
not even sure myself!

Any income from employment or self-employment. (Or perhaps, any
"taxable income", which would give people their personal allowance as
pocket money).

Is being a councillor employment? Different bits of government seem to
have different opinions. It doesn't have any hours for Child Tax Credit,
for example, it disqualifies from JSA but it is taxed like employment
income.

I thought many councillors (Cambridge in particular) only claimed
expenses. They aren't income.

Cambridge councillors are paid the same as all other councillors, Basic
Allowances which are the same for everyone and Special Responsibility
Allowances for additional responsibilities. Although there is one element of
Special Responsibility Allowance which one councillor is refusing to take at
present for special reasons, they are paid automatically, with no element of
claiming.

The main Cambridge difference is that most councillors receive at least some
Special Responsibility Allowance, especially opposition councillors, unlike
in many Tory and Labour councils where very few opposition councillors get
anything. That was the case when the City Council was Labour controlled too,
so it's not entirely a party point.

What's your salary (for want of a better term) from being a Councillor?

The total allowances I receive are below the income tax threshold, even
before that threshold was so generously increased at the instance of the
Liberal Democrats in the Coalition government. The only councillors whose
allowances might taken them over that threshold would be party group leaders
and members of the executive who have substantial part-time work commitments.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old June 22nd 13, 04:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:39:16
on Sat, 22 Jun 2013, remarked:

The total allowances I receive are below the income tax threshold

Which I don't think should be enough to disqualify you in a hypothetical
future system which tried to restrict the 'Twirly-card" to genuine
retirees.
Old June 23rd 13, 10:05 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recliner[_2_] View Post

Exactly. I now describe myself as retired, as I stopped working about
18 months ago. But I'm years away from drawing my state pension, and
haven't touched any of my private pensions yet either. I'm not
unemployed, as I have no interest in working, for myself or anyone
else, and I've never drawn any state benefits. I know that when I fill
in surveys, they don't have any classification that fits me, as they
only seem to recognise 'retired' to mean someone who's drawing a
pension. They just don't seem to understand the concept of someone who
lives comfortably off their investments.
Good tactics, sir! The longer you defer claiming your state pension, the more
you will receive each week when you do claim it. I'm playing the same game myself!
Old June 23rd 13, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 13:32:07 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 11:23:49 on
Sat, 22 Jun 2013, Recliner remarked:
I would not be surprised to either see the national scheme scrapped
altogether, or associated with some proof (via your tax return) that
you have actually retired, at some point before 2017.

How would my tax return show whether or not I've actually retired? I'm not
even sure myself!

Any income from employment or self-employment. (Or perhaps, any "taxable
income", which would give people their personal allowance as pocket
money).

But pensions are taxable income.

Not in the sense of "income from employment". I recommend you read the
HMR&C guidance on the matter.

But didn't you suggest that the eligibility might be based on any
"taxable income", which would include pensions?
Old June 23rd 13, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 13:35:16 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 11:21:00 on
Sat, 22 Jun 2013, Recliner remarked:
They just don't seem to understand the concept of someone who
lives comfortably off their investments.

It's called "independently wealthy" and several questionnaires do
recognise the concept.

Not the ones I seem to get. In any case, I wouldn't call myself
wealthy, just that I have enough to generate enough dividend income to
live on comfortably.