Old October 6th 13, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Driverless Trains

wrote in message ...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ditioning.html

what's all the bolliox about no connecting door, like Siemens have just
invented this.

Other countries have had this for ages

tim

Old October 6th 13, 12:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/10/2013 12:34, tim...... wrote:

wrote in message ...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ditioning.html

what's all the bolliox about no connecting door, like Siemens have just
invented this.

Other countries have had this for ages

How many of those are "in use on the London Underground"? London's tube
(sic) lines haven't had wide walk-through gangways, not even on the new
Victoria line trains.

I'm disappointed that the DM hasn't picked up that this would make it
easier for foreign beggars to move through the train...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old October 6th 13, 12:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim......" wrote:
wrote in message ...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ditioning.html

what's all the bolliox about no connecting door, like Siemens have just invented this.

Other countries have had this for ages

Yes, but they've never been available on our small diameter Tube trains.
You need articulated trains to make it possible with narrow body shells. Of
course, it's much easier with full-size trains, even without articulation,
which is why the
S stock and 378s have them.
Old October 6th 13, 01:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
"tim......" wrote:
wrote in message
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ditioning.html

what's all the bolliox about no connecting door, like Siemens have just
invented this.

Other countries have had this for ages

Yes, but they've never been available on our small diameter Tube trains.

I don't see why "our" is significant.

If you are trying to say it isn't available on small diameter Tube trains,
then you are wrong

Copenhagen has them and that is most definitely not a large profile tunnel

So what's new here, other than it being new to the UK?

You need articulated trains to make it possible with narrow body shells.

But that's not new either.

All we have here is current technology being brought to the UK 10 years
(plus) after other countries have got it

what's to shout about (from a technology pov)?

tim

Old October 6th 13, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim......" wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message
"tim......" wrote:
wrote in message ...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ditioning.html

what's all the bolliox about no connecting door, like Siemens have just invented this.

Other countries have had this for ages

Yes, but they've never been available on our small diameter Tube trains.

I don't see why "our" is significant.

It's based on a press release about possible future London Tube trains.
It's not a survey on world Metro systems.

If you are trying to say it isn't available on small diameter Tube
trains, then you are wrong

Copenhagen has them and that is most definitely not a large profile tunnel

Are they articulated?

So what's new here, other than it being new to the UK?

You need articulated trains to make it possible with narrow body shells

..

But that's not new either.

All we have here is current technology being brought to the UK 10 years
(plus) after other countries have got it

what's to shout about (from a technology pov)?

This is based on a press release to tell Londoners about their possible
future trains. It's not an engineering research journal.

Old October 6th 13, 02:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/10/2013 14:06, tim...... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message

"tim......" wrote:
wrote in message
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ditioning.html

what's all the bolliox about no connecting door, like Siemens have
just invented this.

Other countries have had this for ages

Yes, but they've never been available on our small diameter Tube trains.

I don't see why "our" is significant.

People wanting to get around London generally won't care about elsewhere.

Maybe TfL could try this approach? "We've shut down the Piccadilly line.
People trying to get to Heathrow shouldn't be upset, after all there is
a perfectly good metro in Copenhagen".

If you are trying to say it isn't available on small diameter Tube
trains, then you are wrong

Copenhagen has them and that is most definitely not a large profile tunnel

It's not London tube profile either, from what I remember. More like DLR.

So what's new here, other than it being new to the UK?

On that basis the newspapers may as well not report anything - what is
new apart from the new stuff? (in the specific case of the Daily Mail,
them choosing not to report anything ever again might not be a bad thing).

It is a proposal for a brand new model of train, meeting requirements
which are unique to London in a way which has not been done before.

You need articulated trains to make it possible with narrow body shells.

But that's not new either.

All we have here is current technology being brought to the UK 10 years
(plus) after other countries have got it

what's to shout about (from a technology pov)?

Nowt. Railways were pretty much sorted by about 1830, so nothing to see,
move along now.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old October 6th 13, 05:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/10/2013 12:32, tim...... wrote:

wrote in message ...
On 05/10/2013 13:18, Richard J. wrote:
Roland Perry wrote on 05 October 2013 09:54:35 ...
In message , at 23:51:57 on Fri, 4 Oct
2013,
" remarked:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-Tube-future-2

1st-century-vision-London-train-goes--offering-30-space-air-conditioning

.html

That has to be the ugliest front end on a train ever devised.

I don't find it particularly ugly, quite elegant in a way, but what I
find odd is that this driverless train doesn't appear to let passengers
sit at the front, as on the DLR and the Paris Metro driverless trains.

I was also wondering about that and hope that this mock up will not
turn out to be the way of things.

The Nuremberg U-Bahn's U-3 line also allows passengers front views.

So does Copenhagen

tim

All the UTO trains on which I have travelled do have front views.
Old October 6th 13, 05:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/10/2013 12:34, tim...... wrote:

wrote in message ...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ditioning.html

what's all the bolliox about no connecting door, like Siemens have just
invented this.

Other countries have had this for ages

tim

First saw it on Berlin U-Bahn's U5, a.k.a. the East German line, in 1999.
Old October 6th 13, 05:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/10/2013 13:36, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 06/10/2013 12:34, tim...... wrote:

wrote in message
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ditioning.html

what's all the bolliox about no connecting door, like Siemens have just
invented this.

Other countries have had this for ages

How many of those are "in use on the London Underground"? London's tube
(sic) lines haven't had wide walk-through gangways, not even on the new
Victoria line trains.

Didn't plans for the 09ts stipulate walk-through? If so, then what happened?
Old October 6th 13, 05:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/10/2013 14:06, tim...... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message

"tim......" wrote:
wrote in message
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ditioning.html

what's all the bolliox about no connecting door, like Siemens have
just invented this.

Other countries have had this for ages

Yes, but they've never been available on our small diameter Tube trains.

I don't see why "our" is significant.

If you are trying to say it isn't available on small diameter Tube
trains, then you are wrong

Copenhagen has them and that is most definitely not a large profile tunnel

Brescia as well as they use the exact same rolling stock.