Old October 28th 13, 08:52 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Storm St Jude...

In message , at 09:33:24 on Mon, 28 Oct
2013, Graeme Wall remarked:
ps. I'm getting "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable" from the NationalRail
site now.

I can get the journey planner page

It's right on the edge, some bits working and some not. I got the SWT
amended service announcement (which is what failed earlier) when I tried
again just now:

"No trains will run before 11:00 at the earliest, and in some cases this
may be significantly later. "

"There will be no service between:

Ascot and Ash Vale
Salisbury and Bristol
Virginia Water and Weybridge
Windsor & Eton Riverside and London Waterloo

"A very limited service will run later today between:

Aldershot and Guildford
Chessington branch
Hampton Court branch
Shepperton branch

"All other routes will run to revised timetables.

but it hangs when I try and get a train from Southampton. Presumably
can't cope with the load.

Not helped by having failed to turn off all the advertising and other
nonsense, which is pretty basic stuff for days like today.

FCC, on the other hand, admit their server wasn't coping, and have
activated their contingency plan:

"We are currently experiencing severe technical issues with the
performance of this website and as such have reverted to an emergency
homepage."

Old October 28th 13, 09:25 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:35:17 on Mon, 28 Oct
2013, tony sayer remarked:
In the north of Cambs, the highest wind speed is at 9am (under the Met
Office's 3hr granularity). 26mph gusting 45mph, which is quite a bit
lower maximum than for London (eg 33/60 at Heathrow at 6am).
==========================

I really wouldn't take that as gospel - the UKMO warnings system tends
to be a few hours out of date.

A remarkably accurate prediction though... both the timing and the wind
speeds (see below).

It's OK, I went and did my errands, the ones people were advising
against, and didn't encounter any bad weather. Back home now.

I came back via Cambridge by car, very little traffic. Winds about 20/35
according to the chart for yesterday, below. No rain.

Not to bad up here in Cambridge peaked at 50 knots just before 8 this
morning.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/dtg...raph.cgi?today

Old October 28th 13, 09:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 08:35:35 on Mon, 28
Oct 2013, Graeme Wall remarked:
Network Rail tweets: "16 trees on the line in Wessex,

Essex?

32 in Kent, 11 in Sussex, 37 in Wessex,

Or is that Essex?

I'd plump for the 16 being Essex.

No, I think they mean Wessex (basically the SWT network) as
Kent/Sussex/Wessex are the three routes that the old Southern Region is
divided into for Network Rail management purposes.

Peter Smyth

Old October 29th 13, 06:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 28/10/2013 22:58, Peter Smyth wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 08:35:35 on Mon, 28
Oct 2013, Graeme Wall remarked:
Network Rail tweets: "16 trees on the line in Wessex,

Essex?

32 in Kent, 11 in Sussex, 37 in Wessex,

Or is that Essex?

I'd plump for the 16 being Essex.

No, I think they mean Wessex (basically the SWT network) as
Kent/Sussex/Wessex are the three routes that the old Southern Region is
divided into for Network Rail management purposes.

If you notice Wessex was mentioned twice and Essex not at all. It was
reasonable to assume one of them was a typo.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old October 29th 13, 07:02 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 22:58:59 on Mon, 28 Oct
2013, Peter Smyth remarked:
Network Rail tweets: "16 trees on the line in Wessex,

Essex?

32 in Kent, 11 in Sussex, 37 in Wessex,

Or is that Essex?

I'd plump for the 16 being Essex.

No, I think they mean Wessex (basically the SWT network) as
Kent/Sussex/Wessex are the three routes that the old Southern Region is
divided into for Network Rail management purposes.

If the 16 is Wessex, what region had 37 trees down?

Old October 29th 13, 08:09 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote on 29 October 2013 08:02:10 ...
In message , at 22:58:59 on Mon, 28 Oct
2013, Peter Smyth remarked:
Network Rail tweets: "16 trees on the line in Wessex,

Essex?

32 in Kent, 11 in Sussex, 37 in Wessex,

Or is that Essex?

I'd plump for the 16 being Essex.

No, I think they mean Wessex (basically the SWT network) as
Kent/Sussex/Wessex are the three routes that the old Southern Region is
divided into for Network Rail management purposes.

If the 16 is Wessex, what region had 37 trees down?

According to SWT, "nearly half of the more than 100 fallen trees which
have affected the UK rail network have come down on tracks used by South
West Trains services". So it's likely that 37 was the Wessex figure.
--
Richard J.

---

Old October 29th 13, 09:25 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:09:32 on Tue, 29 Oct 2013,
Richard J. remarked:
Network Rail tweets: "16 trees on the line in Wessex,

Essex?

32 in Kent, 11 in Sussex, 37 in Wessex,

Or is that Essex?

I'd plump for the 16 being Essex.

No, I think they mean Wessex (basically the SWT network) as
Kent/Sussex/Wessex are the three routes that the old Southern Region is
divided into for Network Rail management purposes.

If the 16 is Wessex, what region had 37 trees down?

According to SWT, "nearly half of the more than 100 fallen trees which
have affected the UK rail network have come down on tracks used by
South West Trains services". So it's likely that 37 was the Wessex
figure.

I agree that the southwest was reportedly one of the worst-hit regions.

Is that another vote for the "16" being Essex?
Old October 30th 13, 05:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

If anyone is interested to see an objective summary of the storm's
development and progress then please see:

http://www.geologywales.co.uk/storms/autumn13b.htm

NB This is a rather large blog post starting off with a number of unrelated
phtos etc. But if you jump about 2/3 of the way down to the section that
starts 'So to the major storm of October 28th...' and just before the
weather maps you'll find the analytical details that relate to the storm.
It's semi-technical but still fairly readable by any interested lay person.
(Link originally posted in uk.sci.weather)

JGD

Old October 30th 13, 06:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 13:13:57 +0000, Mizter T
wrote:

Sounds like it could get ugly.

Some TOCs are planning on running an amended timetable (East Coast,
c2c), others have one up their sleeves, ready to go (or not go, as the
case may be).

This afternoon might be a good time to go out and enjoy the splendid
autumn colours - in southern Britain at least - might not have any
autumnal leaves left on the trees come tomorrow, indeed might have fewer
trees as well.

No Southern trains apparently until 0900 or 1000.

No SWT trains until at least 0800 and some services won't operate at
all.

No declaration from South Eastern but warnings of doom.

SE covered themselves in Glory - not

They canceled all of their trains on most of their routes [1] but forgot to
update the live timetable properly (doesn't that happen automatically?)

So people turned up at the station, often by taxi from adjacent stations
saying, I've even told by NRE that the 10:28 from here is running, only to
find out that it wasn't

tim

[1] Ashford to St P was the only service for most of the morning