Old November 18th 13, 05:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Piccadilly line 'bustitution' to Heathrow this weekend

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 17:18:20 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:
Although I'm not sure whether the Paddington mainline platform

level
counts as "street". So much information and yet no unambiguous

answer to
the question!

Per my other post there is a lift up on P1 and a ramp on P11-12.

Neil

--
Neil Williams. Use neil before the at to reply.

Old November 18th 13, 05:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17/11/2013 16:46, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:25:32 on Sun, 17
Nov 2013, tim...... remarked:
I don't recall reducing the number of taxis at the airport ever being
an "objective".

Then you weren't aware of the reason then. It's all about reducing
carbon

For an airport, is this not in "bird urinating in the ocean" territory?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old November 18th 13, 06:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17/11/2013 16:45, tim...... wrote:

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 16/11/2013 13:56, Neil Williams wrote:

At least in most other countries
transport touts are not officially condoned by the airport and are kept
out of the way.

Ever been to Sofia or Bucharest?

Yes, did you have a point to make?

from a simple observation, the absence (or presence) of taxi touts
cannot be used to ascertain the authorities attitude to same, but could
be the result of the observer's misunderstanding on the local supply and
demand for such services

Assuming there has not been a complete collapse of law and order, their
open presence can be assumed to be as result of the authorities (or
on-the-ground representatives of those authorities) tolerating them.
Even if the airport website has lots of warnings about not using them.

(I noticed that at King's Cross in ye olde days the kind of things that
the area was known for were always just outside railway property, and
got rapidly removed if they strayed across)

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old November 18th 13, 06:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18/11/2013 11:10, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
11:46:03 on Mon, 18 Nov 2013, Neil Williams
remarked:

Even management?

Define management.

Ours do. Blanket no business class policies are becoming more common.

Yup.

Yes, there is a trend, but still push back from those who claim that
flying for the best part of a day economy is a, err, false economy as it
knocks you out from being able to do any useful business the day you
arrive and quite possibly the day after as well.

Should such people be doing something involving that kind of travel -
wouldn't it be like someone who can't cope with varying sleep patterns
doing a shift-based job?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old November 18th 13, 06:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18/11/2013 07:38, Roland Perry wrote:

The business class seats are filled by someone though. More likely real
businessmen.

On holiday, using loyalty wotsits from all the travel they've done in
steerage?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old November 18th 13, 06:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18/11/2013 17:17, tim...... wrote:

I can't agree with the assertion that people think that 90% of metro
systems are "unsafe".

Certain cities in the US are going to be the exception here, not the rule.

A while ago I was on Thameslink next to two USians discussing public
transport. One was from some obscure place and thought big city
transport was highly dangerous and hence using Thameslink was a massive
novelty to him, while the other was from New York and laughed at him,
insisting it was safe on the subway as long as you did sensible things
like know where the exits are and get the heck out if anything looked
like turning dodgy.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old November 18th 13, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18/11/2013 07:46, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
21:23:48 on Sun, 17 Nov 2013, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
Only for road-warriors. The majority of travellers don't do that kind
of research (partly because they've found in the past that it's
often wildly out of date).

I don't believe that (either that it is, or that readers think that it
is)

Yes, in an older guide, the ticket prices might have changed but
nothing else of significance will.

You may have been lucky. Most travellers find all sorts of major
changes, one of the most significant being whether they've actually
finished building that last stage of the metro out to the airport yet.

As a pretty regular traveller who is used to visitors seeing his
bookshelves and asking if he works for Rough Guide, Lonely Planet or
Bradt, I've never found that this is a major issue; in fact it is one
thing they almost always get right.

You are clearly one of the road warriors of which I spoke. You are the
exception.

But in a good position to judge the likelihood of a guide being wildly
out of date.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old November 18th 13, 07:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18/11/2013 07:48, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at
18:36:44 on Sun, 17 Nov 2013, Neil Williams
remarked:
APD business class transatlantic is £166.

That's a very special class of business traveller these days.

Nope, the Higher Rate is £332.

In APD terminology, "standard rate" covers first/ business class,
"reduced rate" covers economy, and "higher rate" is new and covers
private jets - so APD for a transatlantic business class flight is
indeed £166.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/apd.htm
Old November 18th 13, 07:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18/11/2013 14:32, Basil Jet wrote:

On 2013\11\18 07:54, Roland Perry wrote:
[...]
All we are discussing is whether HEx's relatively small share of the
market will disappear when Crossrail starts, and I don't believe it
will. Crossrail is much more likely to abstract business from the tube
(London facing) and private cars (Thames Valley facing).

Is "steaming" still a regular occurrence on the services that call at
Hayes & Harlington?

Not like you to exaggerate.

I haven't heard reports of any such problems for ages.

If H&H and the other stations on the line become managed by TfL
Crossrail then they'll get ticket gates and be staffed during opening
hours (along with getting spruced up and properly cared for), which as I
think the LO takeover of the NLL shows does rather improve the general
ambience and feeling of security.
Old November 18th 13, 07:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:24:56 on Mon, 18
Nov 2013, tim...... remarked:

have you carried a 50lb suitcase

I once maxed out my 20Kg allowance and the result is almost
unmanagable,

few people will be doing this, I assure you

And I can assure you that they do. That's one reason cases have wheels
on.