Old November 16th 13, 05:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Piccadilly line 'bustitution' to Heathrow this weekend

On 16/11/2013 13:56, Neil Williams wrote:

At least in most other countries
transport touts are not officially condoned by the airport and are kept
out of the way.

Ever been to Sofia or Bucharest?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old November 16th 13, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 18:49:38 +0000, Arthur Figgis
wrote:
Ever been to Sofia or Bucharest?

Bucharest yes. There were touts but they weren't in the terminal.
We didn't feel overly hindered going to find the bus, though
information was lacking and it was rather guesswork, particularly
how to pay (kiosks near, but often not at, stops).

But that was the old rathole Baneasa. Otopeni (on the way back)
looked better managed.

Neil

--
Neil Williams. Use neil before the at to reply.
Old November 16th 13, 06:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2013-11-16 17:56:24 +0000, Mizter T said:

It sounds like at Paddington you headed straight to the Circle &
District line platforms

Correct.

Best to head to the H&C & Circle platform - no need to change in order
to get to KXSP (plus the option of the H&C to Whitechapel - though that
does feel as though it'd going out of the way somewhat, but I guess it
probably wouldn't take that much longer).

Another option I always forget about. Had i thought, I would have gone
to Whitechapel. It was partly because I flew out of Gatwick and back
into Heathrow - one usually plans the outbound route rather more.

No coat?! Sounds like you were coming back from exotic climes...

Lisbon. Where it was indeed warm and sunny.

E.

Old November 16th 13, 06:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 19:22:08 on
Sat, 16 Nov 2013, Paul Corfield remarked:
Why doesn't TfL send out "tube touts", or make more of an effort to
publicise its service?

At this point I should simply say "LU and TfL do not own Heathrow
Airport" and leave you to draw the obvious conclusions about what is
and is not feasible in the environs of the Airport.

That seems fair enough. Although TfL could build partnerships with
airlines, especially when it comes to the information pages at the end
of the in-flight magazine.

I don't want to see people paying more than they need to, but the tube
can be very confusing for the first time visitor and at least HEx is
simple.

Oh come on. The Tube or Underground is world famous and is very easily
researched. It features prominently in any half decent guide book
about London just as the Subway does for New York or the MTR does in
Hong Kong. Guide books usually provide a simple explanation as to how
to navigate the relevant mass transit system.

Only for road-warriors. The majority of travellers don't do that kind of
research (partly because they've found in the past that it's often
wildly out of date).

I can think of places with much worse airport access via mass transit
than London!

So can I. Which makes travellers more wary, on balance.

Yes the network is large and extensive but it is not impossible or
nearly impossible to use. Witness the legions of tourists trekking
their way round the Tube system in the central area and on trains to
and from Heathrow!

Tourists. I rest my case.
Old November 16th 13, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16/11/2013 19:36, Roland Perry wrote:

[...]

I don't buy into the above assertion that the majority of passengers
arrive at Heathrow blind as to their onward travel plans from the airport.

I can think of places with much worse airport access via mass transit
than London!

So can I. Which makes travellers more wary, on balance.

Yes the network is large and extensive but it is not impossible or
nearly impossible to use. Witness the legions of tourists trekking
their way round the Tube system in the central area and on trains to
and from Heathrow!

Tourists. I rest my case.

Eh - not least because this rather contradicts your comment above about
"road-warriors" being the informed variety of traveller.

Heathrow says "leisure travellers" made up 70% of passengers at the
airport in 2012:
http://www.heathrowairport.com/about-us/company-news-and-information/company-information/facts-and-figures

(Before you say it, yes I understand that doesn't mean that 70% are
tourists coming to visit London.)

Old November 16th 13, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:08:38 on Sat, 16 Nov
2013, Mizter T remarked:

I don't buy into the above assertion that the majority of passengers
arrive at Heathrow blind as to their onward travel plans from the
airport.

Nor are the patrons of Heathrow Express a majority either[1]. Having
spent years trekking round the world on business I'm confident that my
comments are correct.

Some stats:

97% repeat travel rating.
96% recommend us to colleagues and friends.

Both of which rather debunk the "as soon as we get to Paddington we'll
realise the tube was a better option".

Business (69%) and leisure (31%) travellers.
93% overall satisfaction

[1] They are doing quite nicely on about 8% (16k daily from 191k)

Old November 17th 13, 10:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Ever been to Sofia or Bucharest?

Bucharest yes. There were touts but they weren't in the terminal.

They were last year! Having checked the usual travel sources for gen
before going, we pre-booked a cab, which I can recommend, if only for it
taking about 30 min to the city rather than about three weeks by bus or
having to negotiate the lack of information, spiked pits etc to reach
the rumoured train.

I've heard that Belgrade airport is taxi bandit country.

Apparently Budapest airport has now given in and actually started
selling "travelcards", rather than just tourist passes which include
transport.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old November 17th 13, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2013-11-16 14:19:21 +0000, Neil Williams said:

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 14:01:17 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:
Are landside buses allowed to use the airside tunnel?

Don't think so.
Neil

I think it was stopped years ago after a typically alarmist press
headline revealed that terrorists could get airside by catching the
bus. At that time Green Line 724 (I think) and at least one ordinary LT
bus service used the tunnel.

Old November 17th 13, 10:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2013-11-16 11:18:43 +0000, Paul Corfield said:

Or via Whitechapel - 1 change to the H&C. Slow but a lot less palaver.

I always forget about that. Anyway, Circle line came first at Edg Rd -
it was freezing and I had no coat.

It sounds like at Paddington you headed straight to the Circle &
District line platforms - these days with the 'tea-cupped' Circle line
that's only ever going to get you one stop to the east (i.e. Edgware
Rd) before you need to change.

Best to head to the H&C & Circle platform - no need to change in order
to get to KXSP (plus the option of the H&C to Whitechapel - though that
does feel as though it'd going out of the way somewhat, but I guess it
probably wouldn't take that much longer).

Heading for the H&C platform requires you to walk most of the way back
to Heathrow these days.

Old November 17th 13, 11:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 11:58:05 +0000, Ken Wheatley
wrote:

Heading for the H&C platform requires you to walk most of the way

back
to Heathrow these days.

Only if you go to the concourse first. You can go straight there
from any platform.

Neil

--
Neil Williams. Use neil before the at to reply.