Old February 2nd 04, 08:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default tube lines south of the river

Either way, this won't be much of an issue for south/southeast London much
longer - as long as no one else tries to screw things up, the East London Line
extensions will be open in 2005 (?) and those parts of London will have tube
service. http://www.ellp.co.uk/route_map.htm is a map of what the line will
look like when it opens.

Hope I helped,

Brad

But the map shows that all the East London Line extensions will run
south or south-west from New X Gate and not south-east from New X.

So a large part of SE London will not get any improved services.

Old February 2nd 04, 09:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"The Only Living Boy in New Cross" wrote in
message
m...
One of the commonest explanations you hear for the lack of tube lines
south of the river is that the soil is unsuitable for the tunnelling
equipment in use in the early years of the 20th century. If that's
the case, though, how did the Morden end of the Northern Line get
built?

Have you been South of the river ??

Nasty place. Who wants to get to Streatham quicker, and as for
Woolwich...... urghhhh :-)

--
Edward Cowling - London - UK

Old February 2nd 04, 03:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin May wrote in message . 1.4...
(TheOneKEA) wrote the following in:
om

Either way, this won't be much of an issue for south/southeast
London much longer - as long as no one else tries to screw things
up, the East London Line extensions will be open in 2005 (?) and
those parts of London will have tube service.
http://www.ellp.co.uk/route_map.htm is a map of what the line will
look like when it opens.

I thought that the ELLE was going to be handed over to National Rail,
who will probably turn it into a North London Line style backwater with
1 frequently delayed train every few days or so.

Quite. As far as I can see the only reason LUL is interested in the ELL is
so it can eventually hand it over and get shot of a loss making line.

B2003
Old February 2nd 04, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(Gary Jenkins) wrote in message . com...
Either way, this won't be much of an issue for south/southeast London much
longer - as long as no one else tries to screw things up, the East London Line
extensions will be open in 2005 (?) and those parts of London will have tube
service.
http://www.ellp.co.uk/route_map.htm is a map of what the line will
look like when it opens.

Hope I helped,

Brad

But the map shows that all the East London Line extensions will run
south or south-west from New X Gate and not south-east from New X.

So a large part of SE London will not get any improved services.

Perhaps the ELL stakeholders would rather not trample on the DLR's parade....

Brad
Old February 2nd 04, 09:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
Quite. As far as I can see the only reason LUL is
interested in the ELL is so it can eventually hand it
over and get shot of a loss making line.

I heard a talk given by someone from the ELL project;
as I recall, he made it clear that the extended ELL
wouldn't be LUL run.

#Paul

Old February 3rd 04, 08:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote the following in:

Boltar wrote:
Quite. As far as I can see the only reason LUL is
interested in the ELL is so it can eventually hand it
over and get shot of a loss making line.

I heard a talk given by someone from the ELL project;
as I recall, he made it clear that the extended ELL
wouldn't be LUL run.

Why not though? Apart from the DLR, LU appear to be the only people who
know how to run a decent metro style train service in London. What's
the point in building a huge extension to the East London line if it's
just going to become another North London Line where trains are as
frequent as rain in the desert?

Who knows what the actual thinking behind it is. Though as with most things
these days I suspect its partly a case of "wouldn't it look good if..." and
then worry about minor details such as running a train service later. Its all
politics. A much cheaper way of making the ELL useful would have been to
extend the track all of 200 yards from shorditch to join up with the tracks
into Liverpool street and terminate the trains there so the people who use
the ELL regularly would have had someone useful to go to direct rather than
having to change at whitechapel all the time. But no, why spend a million
or so on a bit of track and signalling mods when you can spend 100 million
on a politicians wet dream that'll probably turn out as you say to be as
much of a turkey as the NLL.

B2003
Old February 3rd 04, 09:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Isn't there a lack of platform space at Liverpool Street?

Old February 3rd 04, 01:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jonn Elledge" wrote in message ...
"Boltar" wrote in message
om...
[...]

When they redesigned Liverpool Street they should have thought about
reinstating the link between the Metropolitan line and the main line
platforms and then run through services onto the East London Line.
Misses out the need for the St Mary's curve. I'm sure platform space
could be found.
Old February 3rd 04, 02:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jonn Elledge" wrote in message ...
"Boltar" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I'm sure they could squeeze in another few trains an hour. Anyway , BR were
quite happy to flog off Broad Street station so they couldn't have been short
of platforms in the 80s even if now there might be an issue plus up until
recently there was plenty of derelict land behind liverpool street that a
couple of new platforms could have been shoehorned into.

B2003