Old January 14th 14, 01:43 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil Jet[_3_] View Post
On 2014\01\12 12:31, Robin9 wrote:
and Willesden Junction which is in Harlesden.

Nowadays, Willesden is just a suburb some distance from Willesden
Junction, but prior to the 1960s, Willesden was a borough of Middlesex
which included the half of LB Brent which is east of the River Brent,
and so Willesden Junction was in MB Willesden.
Thank you. At last I understand the anomaly.
Old January 16th 14, 08:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Which UK railway station names do you feel are anomalous?

On Monday, 13 January 2014 22:06:16 UTC, Mizter T wrote:

I'm fairly sure Clapham Junction was so named because it was deemed more

upmarket than a Battersea derived name. (Same rationale with Willesden Jn.)

Loughborough Junction isn't in Loughborough, either.
Old January 16th 14, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Offramp wrote on 16 January 2014 09:42:46 ...
On Monday, 13 January 2014 22:06:16 UTC, Mizter T wrote:

I'm fairly sure Clapham Junction was so named because it was deemed more

upmarket than a Battersea derived name. (Same rationale with Willesden Jn.)

Loughborough Junction isn't in Loughborough, either.

But it was near Loughborough House, the home of Lord Loughborough.
--
Richard J.
Old January 16th 14, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
01:42:46 on Thu, 16 Jan 2014, Offramp remarked:
I'm fairly sure Clapham Junction was so named because it was deemed more
upmarket than a Battersea derived name. (Same rationale with Willesden Jn.)

Loughborough Junction isn't in Loughborough, either.

It's on Loughborough Rd, though. see "Oxford Rd station, Manchester".

And next to Loughborough Park.