Old February 4th 14, 01:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The Tube Strike - Last weapon for the average working guy?

The Tube Strike - Last weapon for the average working guy?
http://politicasanctuarium.weebly.co...rking-guy.html

--
Edward Cowling North London UK
http://twitter.com/gnilwoce

Old February 4th 14, 02:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Edward Cowling" wrote:
The Tube Strike - Last weapon for the average working guy?
http://politicasanctuarium.weebly.co...rking-guy.html

I wouldn't have described Mr Robert Crow as an average working guy.
Old February 4th 14, 02:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message

, at 09:05:22 on Tue, 4 Feb 2014, Recliner
remarked:
The Tube Strike - Last weapon for the average working guy?
http://politicasanctuarium.weebly.co...rking-guy.html

I wouldn't have described Mr Robert Crow as an average working guy.

Nor are tube train drivers, who earn more than twice the average salary
(52k vs 26k).
Old February 4th 14, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04/02/2014 15:22, Roland Perry wrote:

The Tube Strike - Last weapon for the average working guy?
http://politicasanctuarium.weebly.co...rking-guy.html

I wouldn't have described Mr Robert Crow as an average working guy.

Nor are tube train drivers, who earn more than twice the average salary
(52k vs 26k).

Though other LU workers might fit the bill better (ticket office and
station staff) - one could argue the upcoming strike is more about them
and their future.
Old February 4th 14, 03:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
On 04/02/2014 15:22, Roland Perry wrote:

The Tube Strike - Last weapon for the average working guy?
http://politicasanctuarium.weebly.co...rking-guy.html

I wouldn't have described Mr Robert Crow as an average working guy.

Nor are tube train drivers, who earn more than twice the average salary
(52k vs 26k).

Though other LU workers might fit the bill better (ticket office and
station staff) - one could argue the upcoming strike is more about them and their future.

Are they objecting mainly to the reduction of jobs, or the change in their
nature (ie, out among the pax, not hiding in the office)? I see that TfL
already has 450 applications for voluntary redundancies (of the target
750), so there should indeed be no need for compulsory redundancies.

Old February 5th 14, 11:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(Recliner) wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
On 04/02/2014 15:22, Roland Perry wrote:

The Tube Strike - Last weapon for the average working guy?

http://politicasanctuarium.weebly.co...trike-last-wea
pon-for-the-average-working-guy.html

I wouldn't have described Mr Robert Crow as an average working guy.

Nor are tube train drivers, who earn more than twice the average salary
(52k vs 26k).

Though other LU workers might fit the bill better (ticket office and
station staff) - one could argue the upcoming strike is more about
them and their future.

Are they objecting mainly to the reduction of jobs, or the change in their
nature (ie, out among the pax, not hiding in the office)? I see that TfL
already has 450 applications for voluntary redundancies (of the target
750), so there should indeed be no need for compulsory redundancies.

I am bemused by this. Does anyone have the ticket office usage figures over
the last decade? I can't believe they haven't fallen pretty sharply. And
station staffing is going to be maintained as demonstrated on Overground,
just not in booking offices, isn't it?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old February 5th 14, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
In article
,
(Recliner) wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
[...]

I think it's something like 3% of passengers now using the ticket offices,
so most really are pretty much redundant (and closed most of the day
anyway, outside the centre). But the unions also don't like the fact that
many of the quieter stations will become single-manned, with a mobile
supervisor covering half a dozen stations.
Old February 5th 14, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:02:13 on
Wed, 5 Feb 2014, Paul Corfield remarked:

this is a "must win" dispute for TfL or else they are
in dire trouble in a couple of years time.

Some figures from the news today: the strike has cost £250m and the
projected savings are £50m a year.
Old February 5th 14, 03:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:02:13 on
Wed, 5 Feb 2014, Paul Corfield remarked:

this is a "must win" dispute for TfL or else they are
in dire trouble in a couple of years time.

Some figures from the news today: the strike has cost £250m and the
projected savings are £50m a year.

I assume that projected cost is to the customers and London business in
general, not TfL, which probably profits from the strike (saved wages, much
higher bus revenues, no refund on Travel cards or season tickets).