Old February 8th 14, 10:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New TfL site in beta

There's a new TfL site in beta testing at http://beta.tfl.gov.uk
They're asking for feedback (link at top right of home page), and my
initial impression is that they certainly need lots of feedback. The
new Journey Planner results are presented appallingly, merging the
current levels 1, 2 and 3 into a sprawling mess.

I like the current TfL site presentation. It's generally logical, and
makes good use of the screen. The new one seems to require endless
scrolling of widely spaced lines. Usability badly degraded is my
initial impression.
--
Richard J.

Old February 9th 14, 04:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
There's a new TfL site in beta testing at http://beta.tfl.gov.uk
They're asking for feedback (link at top right of home page), and my
initial impression is that they certainly need lots of feedback. The new
Journey Planner results are presented appallingly, merging the current
levels 1, 2 and 3 into a sprawling mess.

I like the current TfL site presentation. It's generally logical, and
makes good use of the screen. The new one seems to require endless
scrolling of widely spaced lines. Usability badly degraded is my initial
impression.
--
Richard J.

I'm an infrequent user of the website. It might also be relevant to say
I'm using a 1920x1080 display and Firefox.

On first impressions I quite like the new layout. I'm not sure about the
graphic that informs me "we're working on it" but at least the whole thing
doesn't go blank and leave you wondering. The only real issue I had was
that when I clicked on a route to see details I couldn't close it until I
went to the header and clicked there which wasn't terribly intuitive for me.

Old February 9th 14, 05:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On first impressions I quite like the new layout. I'm not sure
about the graphic that informs me "we're working on it" but at least
the whole thing doesn't go blank and leave you wondering. The only
real issue I had was that when I clicked on a route to see details I
couldn't close it until I went to the header and clicked there which
wasn't terribly intuitive for me.

I'm using Firefox and a 1920x1200 display and I still found the vertical
spacing absurdly large. I've told them so; and also asked if they have
consulted the RNIB etc as ISTM the font was much "lighter" than before
(which IIRC reduces readability for partially sighted people).

Of course IMLE that counts for little with grapic designers looking to
provide eg "a fresher, more vibrant style in keeping with a changing
dynamic". And who probably now develop their designs on 30" WXQGA (ie
2560x1600)
monitors and pitch them to management using WQXGA projectors.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old February 9th 14, 06:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:37:00 on Sun, 9 Feb 2014,
Robin remarked:
I'm using Firefox and a 1920x1200 display and I still found the vertical
spacing absurdly large.

I'm using Firefox and a 1024 x 1280 screen [yes, it's in portrait mode]
and this site *still* occupies two whole screens-full vertically.
Old February 9th 14, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message

"Richard J." wrote in message
[...]

from LHR (T123) to Vic in 43 minutes (on the tube) pretty impressive, I wish
I could manage that in real life

Though sometimes it suggest HeX in 38 minutes.

But, of course, both of these times assume that I am standing on the
platform, bst as these two options start from platforms at least 5 minutes
apart both can be possible.

And whilst there's an option to turn off national rail, there's no option to
turn off premium priced rail. An "oyster" only and/or "fare applicable to
capping" options would be nice.

And it tells me there's delays due to engineering works on the Picc -
between South Harrow and Uxbridge. Why do I need to know this?

Finally, I assume that the "current location" only works if you are on
public Wi-Fi or 3G and not on fixed line BB.

If they can't determine your location it would be nice if the result of
trying was a box telling you so, not just "nothing"

tim

Old February 9th 14, 09:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In some varieties the Journey Planner recognizes when one has entered a postcode, in some others it is totally baffled by a postcode.
Old February 10th 14, 06:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 22:04:44 on Sun, 9 Feb
2014, tim..... remarked:
Finally, I assume that the "current location" only works if you are on
public Wi-Fi or 3G and not on fixed line BB.

If you are using private wifi (with a broadcast, and hence public, SSID)
it could know too. In fact I think all it normally takes is for your
laptop to have its wifi switched on, and be able to "see" some SSIDs,
even if the connectivity being used is BB.
Old February 10th 14, 01:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 07:48:56 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 22:04:44 on Sun, 9 Feb
2014, tim..... remarked:
Finally, I assume that the "current location" only works if you are on
public Wi-Fi or 3G and not on fixed line BB.

If you are using private wifi (with a broadcast, and hence public, SSID)
it could know too. In fact I think all it normally takes is for your
laptop to have its wifi switched on, and be able to "see" some SSIDs,
even if the connectivity being used is BB.

Yes, it works from my iPad, but not from my cable-connected PC (both
using the same wireless router).
Old February 12th 14, 03:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

In message , at 22:04:44 on Sun, 9 Feb
2014, tim..... remarked:
Finally, I assume that the "current location" only works if you are on
public Wi-Fi or 3G and not on fixed line BB.

If you are using private wifi (with a broadcast, and hence public, SSID)
it could know too. In fact I think all it normally takes is for your
laptop to have its wifi switched on, and be able to "see" some SSIDs,
even if the connectivity being used is BB.

Yes, it works from my iPad, but not from my cable-connected PC (both
using the same wireless router).

I wonder if it's linked to GPS in devices like a mobile phone/iPad? When I
use my desktop which is wired to my BT broadband various websites that try
and guess my position seem to think I'm almost anywhere between Somerset and
London; it varies day to day.