Old February 11th 14, 02:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Tube strike off

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-26130165

A second planned 48-hour strike by Tube workers has been suspended after
unions reached a deal with London Underground.

The TSSA and RMT unions have agreed to pause the industrial action, which
was due to start at 21:00 GMT, so that further talks can take place with
LU.

A 48-hour strike last week caused major disruption across the capital.

Talks to resolve the dispute, which centres on the closure of all 260 Tube
ticket offices and 960 job cuts, have been held at conciliation service
Acas.

LU said it had proposed two months of intensive talks with the unions,
starting on Wednesday.

A station-by-station review will also take place, which Tube bosses said
could result in some ticket offices remaining open.

'Unnecessary disruption'

RMT general secretary Bob Crow said the union had received proposals to
halt the implementation of the job cuts, which gave the union the
opportunity to discuss the changes "away from the pressure cooker".

"We now have a golden opportunity to look again in detail at all of the
concerns we have raised about the impact of the cuts on our members and the
services that they provide to Londoners.

"That is exactly what we have been calling for throughout this dispute."

Mr Crow added that the strike action would be back on if there was "any
further attempt to impose change from above".

A TSSA spokesman said: "We have now agreed a process where all our serious
concerns over safety and job losses will be seriously addressed through the
normal channels.

"We are obviously pleased that we have agreed this process, which will
allow us to suspend our strike immediately, and cancel it later when the
agreement reaches us in a formal document."

TfL has claimed its proposals - which do not involve compulsory
redundancies - would save £50m a year.

LU managing director Mike Brown said he welcomed the suspension.

"We have always said that we want the unions to engage fully with us, to
help shape our proposals for the future of the Tube.

"The hard work of both the LU and union negotiating teams and the progress
we have made at Acas over the last few days means we can do that without
further unnecessary disruption to Londoners."

-----

So it looks like some of the bigger stations will retain their ticket
offices after all?

Old February 12th 14, 03:02 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recliner[_2_] View Post

So it looks like some of the bigger stations will retain their ticket
offices after all?
If that comes about, the strike will be seen by many to have been justified.

I note that the mooted cost savings from closing ticket offices varies wildly,
from £50 million, mentioned above, to £350 million.
Old February 13th 14, 07:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:02:23 on Wed, 12
Feb 2014, Robin9 remarked:

I note that the mooted cost savings from closing ticket offices varies
wildly, from £50 million, mentioned above, to £350 million.

Is the latter "over n years", a ruse often employed to make numbers
larger.
Old February 13th 14, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 09:31:59AM -0600, Recliner wrote:

Mr Crow added that the strike action would be back on if there was "any
further attempt to impose change from above".

Or, translated, "we're gonna go on strike if management try to manage".

So it looks like some of the bigger stations will retain their ticket
offices after all?

That was always the plan anyway, I thought.

"There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza."
"WHAT MAKES YOU SAY THERE IS A HOLE IN YOUR BUCKET?"
Old February 13th 14, 12:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell wrote:
On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 09:31:59AM -0600, Recliner wrote:

Mr Crow added that the strike action would be back on if there was "any
further attempt to impose change from above".

Or, translated, "we're gonna go on strike if management try to manage".

So it looks like some of the bigger stations will retain their ticket
offices after all?

That was always the plan anyway, I thought.

No, they were all to close. A handful of Gateway stations would retain a
travel advice office.

Old February 18th 14, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 07:50:33AM -0600, Recliner wrote:
David Cantrell wrote:
On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 09:31:59AM -0600, Recliner wrote:
So it looks like some of the bigger stations will retain their ticket
offices after all?

That was always the plan anyway, I thought.

No, they were all to close. A handful of Gateway stations would retain a
travel advice office.

Which would have been able to sell tickets, which makes it a ticket
office even if it has a fancy name.

Did you know that shotguns taste like candy canes? Put the barrel in
your mouth and pull the trigger for an extra blast of minty goodness!
Old February 18th 14, 02:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:45:41
on Tue, 18 Feb 2014, David Cantrell remarked:
A handful of Gateway stations would retain a
travel advice office.

Which would have been able to sell tickets, which makes it a ticket
office even if it has a fancy name.

Do they sell travel tickets?

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/SME/ht...es/1809-001896
3.html
Old February 18th 14, 03:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18/02/2014 15:13, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 13:45:41
on Tue, 18 Feb 2014, David Cantrell remarked:
A handful of Gateway stations would retain a travel advice office.

Which would have been able to sell tickets, which makes it a ticket
office even if it has a fancy name.

Do they sell travel tickets?

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/SME/html/NRE_EUS/objectvalues/1809-0018963.html

The current TfL Travel Information Centres (of which that is one) issue
and top-up Oyster, and also sell paper Day Travelcards. UIVMM they don't
sell single journey tickets (i.e. a single Tube journey).

See:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14432.aspx
Old February 18th 14, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:06:01 on Tue, 18 Feb
2014, Mizter T remarked:
A handful of Gateway stations would retain a travel advice office.

Which would have been able to sell tickets, which makes it a ticket
office even if it has a fancy name.

Do they sell travel tickets?

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/SME/html/NRE_EUS/objectvalues/1809-0018963.html

The current TfL Travel Information Centres (of which that is one) issue
and top-up Oyster, and also sell paper Day Travelcards. UIVMM they
don't sell single journey tickets (i.e. a single Tube journey).

Would they be able to "load" a 16-25 Railcard onto an Oyster?

That's the reason I went to that particular office in the first place;
but the size of the queue, and the fact that they seemed to be serving
about one person every five minutes, made us decide to walk to Euston
Square station instead. Where there was no queue at all.
Old February 18th 14, 04:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18/02/2014 16:53, Roland Perry wrote:

[...]
A handful of Gateway stations would retain a travel advice office.

Which would have been able to sell tickets, which makes it a ticket
office even if it has a fancy name.

Do they sell travel tickets?

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/SME/html/NRE_EUS/objectvalues/1809-0018963.html

The current TfL Travel Information Centres (of which that is one)
issue and top-up Oyster, and also sell paper Day Travelcards. UIVMM
they don't sell single journey tickets (i.e. a single Tube journey).

Would they be able to "load" a 16-25 Railcard onto an Oyster?

Yes - see:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/18343.aspx#tkt-tab-panel-3