Old March 14th 14, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Plans approved to open Mail Rail 'secret Tube' as ride

On 14/03/14 19:15, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 14/03/2014 18:18, Phil wrote:
Roland Perry writes:

In message , at 16:42:17 on Thu, 13

When I get a card from the Royal Mail, I just stop off at the delivery
office on my way to work and get my stuff. As long as you are there
before 9:30 when they go out delivering, they are happy to help. Or you
can go in the afternoon at the time on the card.

My local office insist you wait 24 hours from the time on the card.

Mine closes at 1400 hours so you have no choice but to wait until the
next day.

Old March 14th 14, 07:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

It was a dark and stormy night when Graeme Wall
wrote in article
r7...
On 14/03/2014 18:18, Phil wrote:
Roland Perry writes:

In message , at 16:42:17 on Thu, 13
Mar 2014, Phil Cook remarked:
I find the courier firms are far superior to RM for customer
service. They actually answer the phone when you ring the number
on the card to say they have a package for you but you were out.
They will leave in the porch or elsewhere if you wish.

RM usually don't leave items in porches because of the risk of theft.

Can descend into farce. I had a parcel delivered at my front door last
week by one of the minor couriers, where the chap said I didn't need
to sign for it because he'd already logged it as "left in back
garden". It wasn't clear if this was a one-off error on his behalf, or
a widespread form of expediting delivery without bothering to discover
if the householder was actually at home.

Royal Mail offer me a far better service, and don't inconvienience the
neighbours. The neighbours are old and take looking after things
seriously and worry.

When I get a card from the Royal Mail, I just stop off at the delivery
office on my way to work and get my stuff. As long as you are there
before 9:30 when they go out delivering, they are happy to help. Or you
can go in the afternoon at the time on the card.

My local office insist you wait 24 hours from the time on the card.

24 hours? You were lucky. We have to wait 48 hours before we can collect
our parcel and take it home to our shoe box in t'middle o't'road.
--
Grebbsy McLaren

Old March 14th 14, 08:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 14/03/2014 18:18, Phil wrote:
Roland Perry writes:

[...]

My cards always say 48h but as often as not packets will be in the
office toward the end of the next day.
Old March 14th 14, 09:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 2014\03\14 20:55, Grebbsy McLaren wrote:

snip

Bloody hell! Where have you been for the last ten years?
Old March 14th 14, 09:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 14/03/2014 18:18, Phil wrote:
Roland Perry writes:

[...]

You've got a shoe box, luxury, we had to make do with a jamjar.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail

Old March 15th 14, 12:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 14/03/2014 19:15, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 14/03/2014 18:18, Phil wrote:

When I get a card from the Royal Mail, I just stop off at the delivery
office on my way to work and get my stuff.

My local office insist you wait 24 hours from the time on the card.

The waiting time before collection is dependent on when the mail gets
back to the callers office. When I was in delivery I used to write an
actual time in instead of the wait X hours. Suggesting 24 hours is
probably an insurance against you arriving before they have got the
item back and put it on the shelf, which is most annoying for both you
and the callers office staff. Some delivery rounds finish at places
other than the callers office.
--
Phil Cook
Old March 15th 14, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

It was a dark and stormy night when Basil Jet
wrote in article ...
On 2014\03\14 20:55, Grebbsy McLaren wrote:

snip

Bloody hell! Where have you been for the last ten years?

What, someone remembers me?! Gosh.

Not on Usenet, is the short answer. Not particularly through my own
choice, but inertia rules O
--
Grebbsy McLaren

Old March 15th 14, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 13/03/2014 14:54, Tim Watts wrote:
On 13/03/14 14:29, Dave Jackson wrote:
On 13/03/2014 10:21, Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
For me the main annoyances are the need to put yourself under
virtual house arrest when expecting a delivery and it still doesn't come

Amazon will now deliver to local shops in some areas. I've used that
service amnd found that it works very well. An email is sent to you when
the item is ready for collection, take some ID and sign for it. In my
case the shop is a dawn-to-dusk type place.

Other supply companies are available.

Amazon Lockers kick ass too - just need to have more of them -
especially at main London railway stations (bringing the thread back on
topic). Their lack of appearance at places like Charing Cross is very
conspicuous.

It would be extremely convenient to grab your package prior to getting
your homeward bound train as you'll probably have a car or be within
easy walking distance at the other end.

Also be nice to grab smaller items on the way into work too.

That's one prospective use of the additional space at stations once TfL
shuts all ticket offices, isn't it?
Old March 15th 14, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 13:40:45 on Sat, 15 Mar
2014, " remarked:

Also be nice to grab smaller items on the way into work too.

That's one prospective use of the additional space at stations once TfL
shuts all ticket offices, isn't it?

Yes it is, but I wouldn't hold my breath that things would be there in
time for people to grab them on the way to work (unless they were also
there to not-be-grabbed on the way home the previous day).

This is the main problem with the Royal Mail's current business model:
what they deliver "today" is generally too late for the normally
employed to do anything about it until "tomorrow".