Old April 4th 14, 02:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Crossrail to Reading

On Thu, 03 Apr 2014 07:05:56 -0500,
wrote:

In article ,

(Aurora) wrote:

On Wed, 02 Apr 2014 12:50:59 +0100, David Cantrell
wrote:

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 06:29:21PM -0700, Aurora wrote:
On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 20:44:10 +0000, Robert
wrote:
Other hot news - there will be no toilets in the trains, nor any
specific accommodation for bicycles[1]: Crossrail is only in the
business of moving people.
Trains sans water closets from Reading to London are unacceptable.

Why not?

The expected journey time from Liverpool St to Maidenhead (the lookup
thingy on the Crossrail website doesn't know about Reading yet, although
the maps do) is 49 minutes. That's pretty much exactly the same as
Aldgate East to Wimbledon on the District Line.

The District Line would not be one's route of choice if travelling
between those stations.

How would you travel between those points, then?

Fair question councillor: My preferred route would be District Line
to Monument, or bus to Bank, then Waterloo and City to Waterloo. At
Waterloo there are clean public conveniences. And, I can stop by WH
Smiths for a Railway Magazine, some candy, and any other supplies.

Should there be a wait for a train to Wimbledon, or, I decide to break
my journey for longer than necessary, there is now an excellent sports
bar upstairs. I might stop for a sandwich and a drink.

The thought of a long, crowded, noisy, hot, subterranean journey along
most of the southern half of the Circle is unattractive in the
extreme.

--

http://www.991fmtalk.com/ The DMZ in Reno

Old April 4th 14, 02:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Thu, 03 Apr 2014 22:29:57 +0100, Mizter T
wrote:

On 03/04/2014 19:31, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 17:01:09 on Thu, 3 Apr 2014,
Mizter T remarked:

I'm used to comparison with journeys to East Putney/Putney. The
via SWT fares are higher. I expect that is not so in the case of
Wimbledon.

It is the case.

Are we assuming everyone wants the cheapest journey, irrespective of how
long it takes, or the facilities[tm] available on the trains?

I wasn't assuming anything along those lines, merely addressing Colin's
question (or rather erroneous expectation) with regards to the fares.

For such a journey the fares will undoubtedly be a consideration for
some though, especially given the fact there's not a huge time saving in
going via Waterloo/SWT.

It's not quite the same as some of the cheaper route options which avoid
zone 1 (which exist on London Overground), where the extra journey time
can be rather more than 10 minutes.

Re the facilities issue - there are no loos on the class 455 trains
which provide the bulk of the Waterloo to Wimbledon service. Such
facilities exist at the aptly named Waterloo, of course.

Elegant phrasing indeed.
--

http://www.991fmtalk.com/ The DMZ in Reno
Old April 4th 14, 10:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Aurora) wrote:

On Thu, 03 Apr 2014 07:05:56 -0500,

wrote:

In article ,

wrote:
[...]

Each to their own then. The Monument/W&C interchange is pretty tortuous IME.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old April 4th 14, 12:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,

*Subject:* London Crossrail to Reading
*From:* Paul Corfield
*Date:* Fri, 04 Apr 2014 11:00:13 +0100

On Fri, 4 Apr 2014 10:26:35 +0100, "Peter Masson"
wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
.. .

On Thu, 03 Apr 2014 18:34:26 -0500,

wrote:

I seem to remember running into that problem trying to do Highbury

and
Islington to Clapham Junction too.

You shouldn't run in to that problem because there are only 3 fares.

The default fare is on the TfL tariff and is priced avoiding Zone 1
regardless of which way round you go - via Peckham or via Willesden.
As there are through trains there is no way that TfL can determine
which route you took which is why the Overground fare is route
agnostic for Highbury - Clapham Junction.

Even though, if you go via Peckham Rye you do go through Zone 1 at
Shoreditch High Street.

Absolutely. Short of checking you at precisely the moment the train
is in zone 1 what can they do? Providing you have touched in and have
a positive PAYG balance or a valid Travelcard and positive PAYG
balance what can they do? You're entirely within the rules and it's
TfL's decision to have one fare on Overground services regardless of
direction. It's impossible to impose an intermediate validation
requirement when there is a through train service.

You would be in trouble if you had a paper Travelcard season without
Zone 1 on it and were checked while within Zone 1. Clearly the system
cannot charge you an extension fare on exit when using paper tickets.
It's irrelevant with One Day Travelcards as there no versions which
exclude Zone 1.

If you travel from Highbury to Wandsworth Road then that is priced via
Zone 1 as they assume you travel via Peckham. The only cheaper
alternative is to travel via Stratford and touching the pink validator
there and then resuming the ELL at Whitechapel or Canada Water (no
requirement to touch there as, of course, you could simply jump off an
overground train, touch, and get back on having gone via SHS anyway!).

That's the trouble. I was actually going to Putney, not Clapham Junction I
now recall, and that has no Highbury fare not via Zone 1 even though that
was the way I went. I'd touched the pink validator at Willesden Junction too.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 4th 14, 11:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Fri, 04 Apr 2014 07:15:41 -0500,

wrote:

That's the trouble. I was actually going to Putney, not Clapham Junction
I now recall, and that has no Highbury fare not via Zone 1 even though
that was the way I went. I'd touched the pink validator at Willesden
Junction too.

Well yes you would be caught by that. The alternative is to go on the
Overground to West Brompton, change to the District and touch the pink
validator on the interchange route and then alight at East Putney
(closeish to Putney but possibly not as convenient for you). That is
a defined route in the Fares Finder. You have to comply with the Fare
Finder in terms of where to change and touch. You can't invent your
own route validator touches as it won't align with the ticket routing
and charging logic held by gates or validators at the exit station.

East Putney would have been as good as Putney as it happens. It didn't occur
to me to change at West Brompton for some reason. I think I actually wanted
to travel by LO to Clapham Junction.

Are you saying that touching the pink validator at Willesden Junction
wouldn't be good enough to prove a not-via-Zone 1 route between Highbury &
Islington and East Putney? How on earth are passengers meant to know they
have to touch a particular pink validator?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 5th 14, 12:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Fri, 04 Apr 2014 18:22:31 -0500,

wrote:

Are you saying that touching the pink validator at Willesden Junction
wouldn't be good enough to prove a not-via-Zone 1 route between Highbury
& Islington and East Putney? How on earth are passengers meant to know
they have to touch a particular pink validator?

Yes that is exactly what I am saying.

TfL have defined the default and alternative routes and fares in the
Single Fare Finder. Some origin and destination pairs only have one
default fare. Clearly adjacent stations or all stations in zone 1
will typically have just 1 fare. As you spread out from Zone 1 and in
particular touch where the Overground network comes into play then the
number of routes can increase. If you travel through Zone 1 on PAYG
and travel on NR routes and NR termini and change to the tube then
you'll pay a higher fare than if just using the tube network was an
option. As I have shown in previous posts even where route options
exist on the rail network TfL may not have specified any alternative
fares. This means you're charged for Zone 1 even if you do not travel
through it.

Passengers have to check the single fare finder to avoid falling foul
of the system. You must comply with the route and validation
requirements are set out by TfL - especially if you want to pay a
lower fare.

I have lost count of the times when I have had to check using a
smartphone whether the route I wanted to take, even when in the zones
I hold on my Oyster Card, was valid and what the validation rules
were. The old TfL website was very smartphone unfriendly on the Single
Fares Finder and it could be very frustrating trying to find the
requisite information. I have yet to test out the new site whilst "on
the move". Ironically the new Fares Finder does not have Wandsworth
Road Overground station in it.

If you have a Travelcard valid in Zone 1 then route options tend not
to be an issue. If you are using PAYG and are willing to pay for Zone
1 then there's nothing to worry about.

But why does touching on the pink validator at Willesden Junction not prove
a route avoiding zone 1 has been used between Highbury and Islington and
Clapham Junction? I thought that was the point of pink validators?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 5th 14, 01:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Fri, 04 Apr 2014 19:41:08 -0500,

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Because there is a through train service from Highbury to Clapham and
TfL do not set pink validator touches at locations where people would
have to get off a train in order to comply. The pink validators at
Will Jnc are on the walking interchange route between the Watford Line
and the NLL / WLL and are used to register non Z1 trips using those
routes.

The point here, and please don't shoot the messenger, is that TfL
define the touches they expect to see in order to trigger the reduced
fare. I assume that the fare tables used by gates define the location
codes the gate will expect to see in the Oyster card journey history
data.

Thanks for the explanation. The system isn't exactly transparent.

I was in fact interchanging at Willesden Junction because I got there on a
Richmond train.

So, when I goto West Dulwich next week, there is no point in looking for a
far avoiding Zone 1 because there won't be one? It says "Some journeys are
charged via Zone 1 irrespective of the route taken" in the single fare
finder. I'm going to get a paper Day Travelcard on this occasion and avoid
any hassle.

--
Colin Rosenstiel