Old February 4th 04, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Fatality at Balham?

Any idea what happened at Balham station today? No trains were
stopping there this morning and all services were severely delayed (up
to an hour or more). The announcements just mentioned a fatality
without giving any other details.

Chris

Old February 4th 04, 01:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Chris Small" wrote in message
Any idea what happened at Balham station today? No trains were
stopping there this morning and all services were severely delayed (up
to an hour or more). The announcements just mentioned a fatality
without giving any other details.

Chris

From BBC London "News in Brief"

Body found on tracks
A body has been found on the tracks at Balham railway station in south-west
London, it has been confirmed.
A spokesman for British Transport Police said the body was discovered about
0100 GMT on Wednesday.
The body has not yet been identified and it is not known whether the person
is male or female.
The station was closed on Wednesday morning while British Transport Police
investigated the incident.

Old February 6th 04, 05:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
PS PS is offline

Funny though, the night just before or just after this incident (should be
the same
day if converted to GMT) I was dreaming that "I was dreaming [i.e. I dreamed
another
dream when I was dreaming] at New Cross Gate with one of my friends" (with
the
station severely different from the real one, as I've never been to UK.).

My friend insisted on taking photos on the new ELL stock (Can't imagine!!?)
STANDING ON THE TRACK, and refuse to get onto the platform when I tried
to rescue him with my umbrella. I decided to flee at last and when I just
about to
get outside the station I saw a train approaching the track where my friend
would be.
When I "got up" for the first time, I switched on my computer and saw an
"one-under"
3D computer graphic, then I knew that my friend "was dead". Soon after I
was about
to leave the room I woke up "again", and this time I need to go to the
university for
lessons.

Of course, neither my friend and I was involved in any "one-under" accident
in UK,
as both of us are Hong-kongers and have never been to UK.

Henry wrote in message ...
"Chris Small" wrote in message
Any idea what happened at Balham station today? No trains were
stopping there this morning and all services were severely delayed (up
to an hour or more). The announcements just mentioned a fatality
without giving any other details.

Chris

From BBC London "News in Brief"

Old February 6th 04, 09:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Henry" wrote in message ...
"Chris Small" wrote in message
Any idea what happened at Balham station today? No trains were
stopping there this morning and all services were severely delayed (up
to an hour or more). The announcements just mentioned a fatality
without giving any other details.

Chris

From BBC London "News in Brief"

Body found on tracks
A body has been found on the tracks at Balham railway station in south-west
London, it has been confirmed.
A spokesman for British Transport Police said the body was discovered about
0100 GMT on Wednesday.
The body has not yet been identified and it is not known whether the person
is male or female.
The station was closed on Wednesday morning while British Transport Police
investigated the incident.

Male person, scene treated as a crime scene by BTP and body not
recovered until 1300 approx. The lack of a contingency plan by SCT for
the main lines being closed during the peaks meant services ran up to
180 mins late!
Old February 6th 04, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"CIG_BIG_CIG" wrote in message
om...

Male person, scene treated as a crime scene by BTP and body not
recovered until 1300 approx. The lack of a contingency plan by SCT for
the main lines being closed during the peaks meant services ran up to
180 mins late!

Which once again highlights how bloody disgraceful it is that nowadays the
police are permitted to cause disruption on such a scale to the general
public. Perhaps they should be forced to compensate all of those caught up
in their incompetence (as everyone else seems to be expected to these
days) - that might focus their minds to get the job done more quickly.
Bearing in mind that this incident allegedly occurred at around 01:00 the
railway should have been cleared and open for operation by 05:00 at the
latest.

Old February 7th 04, 06:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message

"CIG_BIG_CIG" wrote in message
om...

Male person, scene treated as a crime scene by BTP and body not
recovered until 1300 approx. The lack of a contingency plan by SCT for
the main lines being closed during the peaks meant services ran up to
180 mins late!

Which once again highlights how bloody disgraceful it is that nowadays the
police are permitted to cause disruption on such a scale to the general
public. Perhaps they should be forced to compensate all of those caught up
in their incompetence (as everyone else seems to be expected to these
days) - that might focus their minds to get the job done more quickly.
Bearing in mind that this incident allegedly occurred at around 01:00 the
railway should have been cleared and open for operation by 05:00 at the
latest.

Until, of course, its a member of your family that is the victim of the
suspicious death, when you would be asking why the police didn't do
everything possible at the scene to detect the offender. These things take
time, thats a fact of life.

regards

Baloo

Old February 7th 04, 09:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

--

"Baloo" wrote in message

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message

"CIG_BIG_CIG" wrote in message
om...

[...]

They don't seem to take this amount of time when it's a road accident.
Neither do they take so long on other European railways, four hours being
about the maximum. On SNCF, at least, a member of the equivalent of the
Coroner's staff will accompany the police/fire brigade (the latter cover all
first-line response ambulance duties) to the incident scenre to evaluate the
evidence.
Brian

Old February 7th 04, 10:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Male person, scene treated as a crime scene by BTP and body not
recovered until 1300 approx. The lack of a contingency plan by SCT for
the main lines being closed during the peaks meant services ran up to
180 mins late!

Which once again highlights how bloody disgraceful it is that nowadays the
police are permitted to cause disruption on such a scale to the general
public. Perhaps they should be forced to compensate all of those caught up
in their incompetence (as everyone else seems to be expected to these
days) - that might focus their minds to get the job done more quickly.
Bearing in mind that this incident allegedly occurred at around 01:00 the
railway should have been cleared and open for operation by 05:00 at the
latest.

Which would give people wanting to kill people / dispose of bodies a
very good reason to do so on the railways. "Oh, it'll be OK - the
police only have 4 hours to investigate this scene and pick up all the
forensics, so they'll never connect it to us".

Surely when investigating a crime, the police should be given all the
time that they need.
Old February 7th 04, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
DJO DJO is offline

"Matt Ashby" wrote in message
m...

Surely when investigating a crime, the police should be given all the
time that they need.

So why then when a road accident occurs they clear things up much quicker?

---

Old February 7th 04, 12:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Baloo" wrote in message

Until, of course, its a member of your family that is the victim of the
suspicious death, when you would be asking why the police didn't do
everything possible at the scene to detect the offender. These things take
time, thats a fact of life.

It's only in the last handful of years that it has taken anything like the
ludicrous amounts of time that it now takes to resolve such matters. That,
despite the significant advances in forensic technology and DNA testing etc.
that have been made. As other posters have noted: it doesn't take as long
anywhere else in Europe, it doesn't take as long to resolve a road incident
and it never used to take as long to resolve railway accidents or suicides
as it does now, suspicious or otherwise.