London Banter

-   -   Oyster and interchange with DLR confusion (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1386-oyster-interchange-dlr-confusion.html)

Londoncityslicker February 4th 04 01:23 PM

Oyster and interchange with DLR confusion

Can anyone confirm the interchange arrangements between the Tube and
DLR (and indeed other railways) and what the charges are. It's not too
clear.

An example journey.

Blackfriars to Blackwall.
I take the the District line from Blackfriars to Tower Hill.
Swiping in and out at both stations. Oyster deducts a zone 1 single
fare.
I then join the DLR at Tower Gateway to Blackwall. Swiping in and out
at both again. This time what is deducted?

The total fare for the entire journey should be £2.00 ie
the zone 1-2 fare. However I don't think it is.

This is unfair as if I bought a printed ticket. I could do this
journey for £2.20 With Oyster I pay more.

This also applies to similar journeys where there are seperate
stations.
Such as at Shadwell with the connection to the East London line.

So how does it work and how much do I pay?

ANDY

Robin Mayes February 4th 04 03:20 PM

Oyster and interchange with DLR confusion

"Londoncityslicker" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Tower Hill / Gateway *should* be an out of station interchange.

Check how much you're being deducted by using one of the big ticket machines
or ask a ticket office, when they're not too busy for a printout. If you're
being overcharged, contact the Oystercard helpdesk.

K February 4th 04 04:26 PM

Oyster and interchange with DLR confusion

On 4 Feb 2004 06:23:22 -0800,
(Londoncityslicker) wrote:

Can anyone confirm the interchange arrangements between the Tube and
DLR (and indeed other railways) and what the charges are. It's not too
clear.

So how does it work and how much do I pay?

I asked this (well similar - I was asking about changing at Heron
Quays/Canary wharf DLR to Jubilee Line) a few weeks ago. I don't know
whether you have to validate at the exit DLR station when you are
going to go into a tube. I, too thought it would charge you twice.

J. Public February 4th 04 04:54 PM

Oyster and interchange with DLR confusion

I had a similar thing with Kings X, when doing Baker Street to Belsize Park.

i.e.
Swipe in at Baker Street
Swipe out of the circle line at Kings X
Swipe back in to the NPV at Kings X
Swipe out at Belsize Park

If you look on the machine, it said my first journey was free, and charged
me correctly for my second bit, so I guess they've thought of this
situation, and it's OK.

Interesting one to ponder though - what would happen if you went from a zone
5 station in to kings cross, then out to a zone 2 station. Perhaps it makes
the cheapest fare the free one.

JP

Robin Mayes February 4th 04 06:07 PM

"J. Public" wrote in message
I had a similar thing with Kings X, when doing Baker Street to Belsize

Park.

i.e.
Swipe in at Baker Street
Swipe out of the circle line at Kings X
Swipe back in to the NPV at Kings X
Swipe out at Belsize Park

If you look on the machine, it said my first journey was free, and charged
me correctly for my second bit, so I guess they've thought of this
situation, and it's OK.

Interesting one to ponder though - what would happen if you went from a

zone
5 station in to kings cross, then out to a zone 2 station. Perhaps it

makes
the cheapest fare the free one.

Because of the station layout the gates at Kings Cross accept you leaving
and re-entering as it's a designated out of station interchange.

If you travel in from zone 5 and exit at a zone 2 station, going via zone 1,
you'd be charged a single fare for zone 5 to zone 1.

Jason February 10th 04 12:13 PM

(Londoncityslicker) wrote:
Can anyone confirm the interchange arrangements between the Tube and
DLR (and indeed other railways) and what the charges are. It's not too
clear.

So how does it work and how much do I pay?

Recently did this weekend journey with Pre-Pay Oyster:

Touched in at Leyton (Central Line)
Changed at Stratford to North London Line without crossing a barrier.
Touched out at Custom House NLL on DLR readers.
Charge: £1

Touched in at Custom House DLR.
Changed at Canning Town to Jubilee Line without crossing a barrier.
Touched out at Jubilee Line barrier and main gate barrier at
Stratford.
Charge: £1

For this journey it was all pretty straingth forward and was charged
correctly.

Cheers,

Jason.