Old May 12th 14, 04:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default District Line trains crashed into each other

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...l?icn=ticker-2

Old May 12th 14, 05:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Basil Jet" wrote in message

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...l?icn=ticker-2

" Kevin Bootle, LU's District line Manager said: "On 1 May two
trains came into slight contact with each other while they were
travelling between East Putney and Southfields stations,
ascertaining very minor damage.

Yes indeed Kevin, "ascertain" certainly sounds a lot more
impressive than "sustain" does it not ? It's even got two
more letters. Shame it means something totally different
though. Care to ascertain what that is ?

michael adams

Old May 12th 14, 05:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12/05/2014 18:26, michael adams wrote:

"Basil Jet" wrote:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...l?icn=ticker-2

" Kevin Bootle, LU's District line Manager said: "On 1 May two
trains came into slight contact with each other while they were
travelling between East Putney and Southfields stations,
ascertaining very minor damage.

Yes indeed Kevin, "ascertain" certainly sounds a lot more
impressive than "sustain" does it not ? It's even got two
more letters. Shame it means something totally different
though. Care to ascertain what that is ?

The Standard story is AFAICS the only one in which that wording appears,
so I wouldn't rule out it being their doing.
Old May 12th 14, 05:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Basil Jet" wrote:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...l?icn=ticker-2

" Kevin Bootle, LU's District line Manager said: "On 1 May two
trains came into slight contact with each other while they were
travelling between East Putney and Southfields stations,
ascertaining very minor damage.

Yes indeed Kevin, "ascertain" certainly sounds a lot more
impressive than "sustain" does it not ? It's even got two
more letters. Shame it means something totally different
though. Care to ascertain what that is ?

The Standard story is AFAICS the only one in which that wording appears, so I wouldn't
rule out it being their doing.

Then who's to say the reporter's name wasn't Kevin as well, then ?

If I was betting on it, I would say its a straight copy and paste
of a press release, written by yet another Kevin in the LT
PR department, assuming they have one.

michael adams

Old May 12th 14, 06:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

If I was betting on it, I would say its a straight copy and paste
of a press release, written by yet another Kevin in the LT
PR department, assuming they have one.

TfL press releases are online -
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media...es?intcmp=4536 Nothing
there.

My bet would be on the manager being put in the frame to speak about the
incident when the new broke yesterday - quite possibly at short notice.
I don't blame an operational manager for misusing a word. I'd much
rather have an operational manager who can manage the operations than
manage the media. And even if he's had some media training I can well
imagine the struggle not to say something like "it was just a bloody
scrape - a bit like what Ed Balls didn't even notice in the car park -
and while of course it shouldn't have happened the union are making too
much of it"
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old May 12th 14, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

A friend of mine has a bronze award certificate from an LUL manager thanking her for her assistance with a customer "who could of made the wrong choice with her life."

Of course, spellcheckers would very rarely pick up errors like those.
Old May 12th 14, 07:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Watching LUL spelling and grammar is a bit like watching a train wreck.
Old May 12th 14, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote on 12 May 2014 17:20:41 ...

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...l?icn=ticker-2

Dear me, District Dave's forum has banned all discussion about this
thankfully mild collision, and all u.t.l can do is debate the wording of
the press release/report.

The scrape occurred between East Putney and Southfields, on a section of
the District Line that used to be part of Southern Region BR. I
understand that LU now manage the stations, but that the signalling is
still operated by Network Rail. The key question, since it is alleged
that the incident was caused by movement of the track, is who now
maintains the track. LU (ex-Metronet) or Network Rail? And if the
latter, is it as a subcontractor to LU or as owner of the track?
--
Richard J.
Old May 12th 14, 10:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Offramp wrote:
Watching LUL spelling and grammar is a bit like watching a train wreck.

(ahem) I think you mean a train minor side-scrape ;-)

Nick
Old May 12th 14, 10:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Offramp" wrote

A friend of mine has a bronze award certificate from an LUL manager
thanking her for her assistance with a customer "who could of made the
wrong choice with her life."

Of course, spellcheckers would very rarely pick up errors like those.

But they might.

Spill Chucker's have improved.

Thus doing a little light proofreading (Google Docs so a browser) ‘straight
forward’ was flagged for attention, and indeed ‘straightforward’ was
intended, yet all three words are valid alone.

'principle' and 'principal' one day ?

--
Mike D