Old February 10th 04, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Fault

"Anon" wrote in
:

Well it looks like a general problem with readers, given that 1 or 2
readers were out of order today at Finchley Central and all were out
this morning at Old Street

None of the sensors are out of order at Finchley Central. The hazard
tape has been put on one as the gates are reversible but are also kept
in the open position.
Lots of Oyster card users were therefore using the wrong sensor and
not validating their tickets. The hazard tape is put there to
encourage them to use the one that is set for entry.

Not very obvious though. Why can't the gates when set to open accepts cards
from both ends?

Today at Finchley Central there was a fault with another part of the
gate which made it close down. Unfortunately the person who came to
fix it did not have a clue what he was doing.

Saying that there are still a lot of 70 and 94 errors. I am thinking
maybe there is a faulty batch of Oyster Cards.

I thought my card was faulty but some weeks it seems to work, others not.

Alternatively because
the customer does not have to wait for the gate to open maybe everyone
is going through too quickly and confusing the gate.

You are hardly goint to be popular retrying and holding people up waiting
for green when the gate is open.

My advice is to use the validator by the ticket office

Why don't they ever use the gates at Finchly Central? Surely there were
aware of the other exit when they spent several thousands installing them.

Also, when the revenue inspectors are holding up everyone at the stairs,
why can't they switch the gates on and check people's tickets at the
station road exit.

Old February 10th 04, 09:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Not very obvious though. Why can't the gates when set to open accepts
cards
from both ends?

The question has been asked but I think that Oyter would want to discourage
staff from leaving gates open and so would not invest in such an upgrade.

Why don't they ever use the gates at Finchly Central? Surely there were
aware of the other exit when they spent several thousands installing them.

The original plan was to have gates at both entrances. This became
impossible for many reasons. Instead of sorting out the problem this
solution was forced onto management. It is impossible to find out exactly
who was at fault and those involved are no longer around.
At present it is deamed unsafe to have the gates working properly because of
the limited amount of space in the ticket hall.
There will however be a new risk assessment made and hopefully the
conclusion to this is that something more positive than leaving tens of
thousands of pounds of equipment unused will be sought.

Also, when the revenue inspectors are holding up everyone at the stairs,
why can't they switch the gates on and check people's tickets at the
station road exit.

To have a proper revenue exercise it would take at least two inspectors at
station road and three in the ticket hall. Without the use of the gates I
think it would create chaos.

Old February 11th 04, 06:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Anon wrote:

There does seem to be a fault with the oyster system.

Today a customer with a Zones23 travelcard made a journey from Camden Town
to Finchley Central and was charged £1.70 for the trip. The price should
have been £1.00.

Hmm. I got charged £1 (from my Pre-Pay balance of £0.00) for a single
journey from Whitechapel to Stepney Green[*], despite my Oyster having a
Z1234 annual on it. Only found out when I tried to get home...
[*] I didn't fancy getting drenched...