Old July 1st 14, 07:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default How was the Fulwell Open Day?

In article
,
(Recliner) wrote:

wrote:
In article

,
(Recliner) wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message

,
at 14:20:44 on Mon, 30 Jun 2014, Recliner
remarked:
Was the West Ham siding the only part of the route you couldn't have
done until recently on a C stock service train with a Travelcard (or
a more comfortable, probably less crowded S stock train today)?

Yes, but it as more about being on the very last C-stock train's trip
before it was scrapped.

And of course running non-stop, which was most noticeable in the
Paddington area after lunch when the platforms were full of obviously
very frustrated normal passengers waiting far too long for a service
train.

Yes, I can see the amusement in the non-stop element, but personally I
find it hard to get excited about the last journey on a fairly mundane
train. I wouldn't go as far as Boltar, but I don't mourn their
departure, as I much prefer their replacement. However, I suppose it
might be different if I'd been a regular commuter on C stock trains.

I used to take quite long journeys on C stock at times, typically
from Edgware Road to East Putney. I didn't dislike it and there was
more to see on the journey than on deep-level tube alternatives. I
prefer D stock because it has some transverse seats but the short
benches weren't too bad an alternative.

Gone, but not forgotten: guess which stock the BBC has used to illustrate
a pending strike story?

The media are hopeless like that. A Cambridge News story yesterday about
delays on FCC at Royston had a picture of a GA class 379 which never go near
there.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old July 1st 14, 09:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message

, at 01:45:38 on Tue, 1 Jul 2014, Recliner
remarked:
Of course, when new, the C stock was all-transverse seating, like the A
stock. Unlike the A stock, it lost that feature when refurbished. Despite
the change, the capacity didn't grow,

Seating capacity? There's room for more people standing in the new arrangement.

Yes, that's why they did it. People are more likely to "move right down
inside the car" now.

According to literature they gave out the original style had a narrow
aisle that people rarely stood in (I could foresee getting trapped
and/or trapping the seated pax).

But the narrow bench seats between the arm rests are, I think, slimmer
than before, so very often only one person will be sitting in each pair
of seats.

I noticed that - on the final leg the chap sat next to me kept on
spilling over into my personal space. Of course, no-one at all will sit
on them again.

Depot open day PhilD London Transport 0 June 16th 09 08:57 AM
Nice day for a day off Martyn Dawe London Transport 0 September 28th 07 12:24 PM
Christmas Day and Boxing Day Rail Summary Barry Salter London Transport 1 December 9th 05 08:39 PM
No congestion charge on Christmas Day or New Years Day David FitzGerald London Transport 3 December 3rd 04 02:51 PM
Staff with the J Door Open [email protected] London Transport 1 August 7th 03 10:19 AM