Old February 8th 04, 11:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Queenstown Road

In message , Mait001
writes

However, in the case of the service (or lack of it to Wandsworth Town), it is
not only a joke but a fraud if the idea is to have 4 trains per hour! Off-peak,
the service may be 4 per-hour, but in evening peaks so often have I arrived at
Waterloo in recent years, to find either no trains listed to stop at Wandsworth
Town, or a 30 or 40 minute wait till the next one, that I now usually take the
first train to Clapham Junction, and then get a bus.

There are six trains an hour timetabled in the evening peak (4 via
Mortlake and 2 Hounslow loopers), although the service interval is a bit
uneven with a 15-minute gap after the 17:02 - probably due to the
pathing of the fast Windsor trains.

I can't say I have noticed cancellations or long delays on many
occasions over the last 10 years or so, although most services are very
crowded in the evening peaks. (I don't travel that line very often these
days, but my partner does and is rarely delayed).

--
Paul Terry

Old February 8th 04, 03:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Wouldn't it be better to call it the S-bahn? It's a term understood
over large parts of continental Europe; a short term, easy to read on
signs.

--
Clive Page

Yes, let's change our official language to German as well!

No doubt it's what our European masters have in store for us at some future
date.....

Marc.
Old February 8th 04, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

There are six trains an hour timetabled in the evening peak

I too believe in Father Christmas.

although the service interval is a bit
uneven with a 15-minute gap after the 17:02

I have often arrived around 6.30 or 7p.m to find not a SINGLE train listed to
stop at W.T.

And, cancellations of even those listed, when we are all already standing
jammed like sardines on platform 15 to 19, are too often to count.

The other day, we were actually on the train and an undubtedly desperate guard
announced that we would all be ready to go "whenever the driver puts in an
appearance". 15 minutes later (after everyone except me had left - I was too
fagged to get off and walk the whole aay back from the front of the train to
another platform) we did eventually set off.

Marc.
Old February 8th 04, 04:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive Page" wrote in message

Wouldn't it be better to call it the S-bahn? It's a term
understood over large parts of continental Europe;

But not in England! Using the green German S logo is a good idea, but it
should stand for something English, like "The Suburban".

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 8th 04, 08:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mait001
writes

There are six trains an hour timetabled in the evening peak

I too believe in Father Christmas.

You may do. When I travel on the SWT line from Waterloo to Mortlake or
Barnes Bridge (both services stopping at Wandsworth Town, although often
few folk alight there) I generally find the service excellent. I admit I
do sometimes regret forgetting the 15-minute service gap after the 17.02
- but thereafter the frequency is mostly 7-8 minutes.

I have often arrived around 6.30 or 7p.m to find not a SINGLE train listed to
stop at W.T.

I don't travel outward that late in the evening peak, but I am still
surprised given the good service intervals.

And, cancellations of even those listed, when we are all already standing
jammed like sardines on platform 15 to 19, are too often to count.

I don't travel often enough to count, but my partner only recalls one
serious incident in the last year (at West London junction just before
Clapham last month - even then it would have been quicker to wait it out
for 30 minutes than take the tube/bus to these parts!)

I don't know if your late travelling time in the evening peak leaves you
open to more delay problems than others, but I can only say that I find
the Overground Network between Barnes and Waterloo infinitely quicker
and more pleasant than being thrown around on our (albeit very frequent)
bus services to Hammersmith and then often suffering near-suffocation
and standing room only into the West End on the Piccadilly.

The much-despised ON can take as little as 20 minutes to the West Wnd
from here - with excellent refreshment facilities at Barnes if there
should be a short wait - and with almost always a seat on town-bound
services (often several hundred free seats off-peak, which I believe is
a main part of the ON initiative to improve).

I'm sorry if you don't find the same - I have to admit that I sometimes
find it annoying that so many trains on the two lines I use stop at
Wandsworth Town, given the few people that alight there - but such "give
and take" is surely necessary on London suburban services?

The other day, we were actually on the train and an undubtedly desperate guard
announced that we would all be ready to go "whenever the driver puts in an
appearance". 15 minutes later (after everyone except me had left -

Do you think the others might have spotted a better option?

I was too fagged to get off and walk the whole aay back from the front
of the train to another platform) we did eventually set off.

That's sad. Many people using a tube journey with a change (or a
bus/tube interchange) often walk further than the length of a few
carriages every day.

Do you think that walking is bad for you?

--
Paul Terry

Old February 8th 04, 10:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Clive Page" wrote in message

Wouldn't it be better to call it the S-bahn? It's a term
understood over large parts of continental Europe;

But not in England! Using the green German S logo is a good idea, but it
should stand for something English, like "The Suburban".

'the sub'

nice and snappy like

'the tube'

logo:

http://images.google.de/images?hl=de...=N&tab=wi&meta

sort of southern green too!

--
Mark

Old February 8th 04, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive Page" wrote in message

Wouldn't it be better to call it the S-bahn? It's a term
understood over large parts of continental Europe;

But not in England! Using the green German S logo is a good idea, but it
should stand for something English, like "The Suburban".

'the sub'

nice and snappy like

'the tube'

logo:

http://images.google.de/images?hl=de...=N&tab=wi&meta

sort of southern green too!

or 'swiftway' to avoid 'subway' confusion misery for American visitors

--
Mark

Old February 9th 04, 07:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mark Townend" wrote in message
"Mark Townend" wrote in message

http://images.google.de/images?hl=de...=N&tab=wi&meta

sort of southern green too!

Thanks, that is the green S I had in mind

or 'swiftway'

"The Swift"...

I *like* that.

It's making a promise.

It's making a promise they won't use 313s.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped