Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 20th 04, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
A H A H is offline

Default Queenstown Road

"Mait001" wrote in message

But the Scots (notionally anyway) chose to give up their sovereignty to

the
English Parliament and become part of the United Kingdom. So what's wrong
with returning it to them?

Because we will all be the weaker for it. The weaker you make the United
Kingdom, the more divisions that are created, the more ripe we are for
domination by others, such as the E.U. or other hostile bodies.

Personally, I find the idea of an English parliament just as abhorrent as

Scottish or Welsh one. The small price we pay for having a single

Parliament is
a theoretical loss of sovereignty to the Scots or Welsh, but the benefits

we
all enjoy from being united are, for example, shown by the ability to

withstand
foreign invasion, and freedom of movement within the U.K. Cross-subsidy is
another benefit.

Marc.

In a roundabout way you are right. We are much better united than divided.

The Scottish Parliament, Welsh Assembly and Northern Ireland Assembly have
been a complete disaster (and waste of money). Many people in Scotland and
Wales now long for the 'good old days' of rule from Westminster because the
Edinburgh and Cardiff gravy trains are complete jokes and only people living
within a few miles of either city are still in favour of the new
arrangements. People in Glasgow, for instance, have seen Edinburgh puff
itself up and feather its own nest, at the expense of the rest of Scotland.
The United Kingdom is much better united than divided. Devolution has been a
complete disaster (and I speak as a Scotsman living in England).