Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 20th 04, 07:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
A H A H is offline

Default Queenstown Road

"Jonn Elledge" wrote in message
"Mait001" wrote in message

I'd guess it's because they're Conservatives, e.g. content with the

status
quo. This includes the unwritten constitution which centralizes all

power
in
the Crown, and therefore in the government at Westminster. Therefore

moving
power to Edinburgh is just as offensive as moving power to Brussels -
because it detracts from the Sovreignty of Parliament.

Jonn

Nicely put, Jonn, although I personally find power being sent to

Brussels
as
FAR more offensive than power being sent to Edinburgh or Cardiff.

Personally, I
see no problem with the English being governed largely by Scottish M.P.s

in the
Cabinet (as is the position now) since they are nominally loyal to the

Crown.

Ah, that's my problem you see - I feel no loyalty to the Crown whatsoever.

feel that democracy and self-determination are the closest we can have to
exrpessions of public interest, so if a majority of Scots want their own
Parliament - or even independence - I believe they should have it.

What I don't agree with is multiple layers of overlapping government, or

the
abolition of local authorities on the whim of the government of the day
(e.g. the GLC). I'd like to see a legally entrenced federal system of some
sort, which clearly delineates powers.

I absolutely agree with that.

With the cabal in Strasbourg, there is neither a theoretical nor

practical
prospect of ever removing them, since the majority come from other

countries,
of whose electorate none of us in the U.K. can ever be part.

I agree that the EU suffers from a severe democratic deficit; but I think

we
do need elected international bodies to allow checks on the power of
multinationals or bodies like the WTO.

I appreciate that you may not think of yourself as a European; but I

suggest
that there is a significant minority of Scots who wouldn't think of
themselves as British either.

Jonn

There are also a significant number of Scots who DON't want to be ruled from
small town Edinburgh (i.e. people in the west/north/south of Scotland) who
regard the 'Scottish Parliament' as being a joke which only looks after the
Edinburgh area). They want to be part of the UK, governed from London -
because they can see the bigger picture. Only people living within the (very
small) Edinburgh area are still in favour of the Mickey Mouse (and
ridicuously expensive) Edinburgh 'Scottish' Parliament. It is the same in
Wales (and presumably Northern Ireland).