Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 27th 04, 06:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
A H A H is offline

Default Queenstown Road

"Arthur Figgis" ] wrote in message
On 21 Feb 2004 18:30:38 GMT, (Mait001) wrote:

That's your opinion, but a remote Scotsman is (in my opinion) still more

likely
to share my language than someone from abroad.

How about someone from the Gaelic-seaking Hebrides and an Irishman
from (non-Irish speaking except maybe in school) Dublin?

I can understand many Dutchmen speaking English as a second language
better than I can many Britons speaking it as their first. I've found
it easier to ask for help from staff at Utrecht Centraal than at
Clapham Junction...

Try asking asking many people in the 'sarf east' directions: "Awight mate,
raahnd 'ere, fird on the wight, stwait dahn, fird on weft"........

Currency & economy

This has never been true. The economy in the North is nothing like the
economy in the South.

There may be variations in the economy, but we share a currency AND a

unified
economic policy e.g. interest rates etc.

Spain and Finland share a currency. They even have the same bank
notes, so no "Scottish pound note" problems.

The ""Scottish pound note" problems" is only a *problem* if you are a little
Englander who fails to realise that Scottish bank notes are *legal tender*
throughout the UK. People in Scotland have accepted 'English' bank notes
without fuss (or ignorance) for centuries, no holding up to the light and
with a dismissive "nah, only accept English notes mates" comments if you
present an English bank note in Scotland. Scottish notes are therefore only
a 'problem' to some English people (usually in the south), a little bit of
education might help - on the other hand I've experienced numerous English
people (especially London taxi drivers) who don't have any problem with
Scottish notes, some even say "I think they look better, I'll take
barrowloads of Scottish notes, nuffink wrong with 'em".

Vive la United Kingdom!