London Banter

-   -   Bus Routes. (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1398-bus-routes.html)

Kat February 6th 04 01:16 PM

Bus Routes.

I'm fine at showing people best routes to use on the Underground but
does anyone have any ideas about the most useful ten/twenty bus routes
to learn?
The ones I know well are, 279, 253, 29, 8 (plus 25 and other local ones)
TIA
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Ian Jelf February 6th 04 02:06 PM

Bus Routes.

In message , Kat
writes
I'm fine at showing people best routes to use on the Underground but
does anyone have any ideas about the most useful ten/twenty bus routes
to learn?
The ones I know well are, 279, 253, 29, 8 (plus 25 and other local ones)
TIA

For East-West transport across Central London I find the 11 and 9
especially useful, rather "plugging a gap" not filled by the tube.

Add the 15 and 25 to that list.

The 13 is another useful link for the same reason, from Strand/Charing
Cross/Trafalgar Square to Oxford Street. (I know that the Bakerloo
does much the same job but I often find people prefer to use the bus if
they're not familiar with London. Some might find that odd but it
allows a journey to become a sightseeing experience, too and a
surprising number of visitors have an apparent fear of going on the
Tube.)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for

Helen Deborah Vecht February 6th 04 04:00 PM

Bus Routes.

Kat typed

I'm fine at showing people best routes to use on the Underground but
does anyone have any ideas about the most useful ten/twenty bus routes
to learn?
The ones I know well are, 279, 253, 29, 8 (plus 25 and other local ones)
TIA

Where are you based? I have an almost encyclopaedic knowledge of my
local buses but few emerge from the 'other side' of Central London.

The longish haul buses are probably most useful (let's hope the routes
don't get chopped or split...)
13 Aldwych to Golders Green
82 Victoria to North Finchley
113 Edgware to Oxford Circus
207/607 Uxbridge to Shepherds Bush
16 Cricklewood to Victoria, 32 Edgware to Kilburn Park, N16 Edgware to
Victoria

You can see where I'm coming from...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Steve Peake February 6th 04 10:26 PM

Bus Routes.

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:16:37 +0000, Kat wrote:

I'm fine at showing people best routes to use on the Underground but
does anyone have any ideas about the most useful ten/twenty bus routes
to learn?
The ones I know well are, 279, 253, 29, 8 (plus 25 and other local ones)
TIA

Well it depends where your going!

The maps at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/bus_maps.shtml are quite handy
though.

Steve

Kat February 7th 04 01:45 AM

Bus Routes.

In message , Helen Deborah Vecht
writes
Kat typed

I'm fine at showing people best routes to use on the Underground but
does anyone have any ideas about the most useful ten/twenty bus routes
to learn?
The ones I know well are, 279, 253, 29, 8 (plus 25 and other local ones)
TIA

Where are you based? I have an almost encyclopaedic knowledge of my
local buses but few emerge from the 'other side' of Central London.

The longish haul buses are probably most useful (let's hope the routes
don't get chopped or split...)
13 Aldwych to Golders Green
82 Victoria to North Finchley
113 Edgware to Oxford Circus
207/607 Uxbridge to Shepherds Bush
16 Cricklewood to Victoria, 32 Edgware to Kilburn Park, N16 Edgware to
Victoria

You can see where I'm coming from...

Thanks Helen; that's exactly the sort of info I'm after.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Joe February 7th 04 10:29 PM

Bus Routes.

"Kat" wrote in message
I'm fine at showing people best routes to use on the Underground but
does anyone have any ideas about the most useful ten/twenty bus routes
to learn?
The ones I know well are, 279, 253, 29, 8 (plus 25 and other local ones)
TIA

Prehaps the Ex-StationLink routes (is it 205 & 207)
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For Train Information, The Latest News & Best photos around check out the

Dave Newt February 8th 04 04:15 PM

Bus Routes.

Kat wrote:

I'm fine at showing people best routes to use on the Underground but
does anyone have any ideas about the most useful ten/twenty bus routes
to learn?
The ones I know well are, 279, 253, 29, 8 (plus 25 and other local ones)
TIA

One of my faves:

19

Finsbury Park
Highbury
Angel
Tott Ct Rd
Picc Circ
Piccadilly
Hyde Park COrner
Knightsbridge
Sloane Square
Battersea

John Rowland February 8th 04 04:33 PM

Bus Routes.

"Dave Newt" wrote in message

One of my faves:

19

Finsbury Park
Battersea

My favourite is the 309, because it goes from London's most polluted estate
(by Abbott Road) to the London Chest Hospital.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Robin May February 8th 04 08:34 PM

Bus Routes.

"John Rowland" wrote the
following in:

"Dave Newt" wrote in
message ...

One of my faves:

19

Finsbury Park
Battersea

My favourite is the 309, because it goes from London's most
polluted estate (by Abbott Road) to the London Chest Hospital.

The dirty minded school children's favourite is the 69. I never would
have though my local bus route could cause so much amusement until I
witnessed it.

--
message by Robin May, enforcer of sod's law.
The Hutton Report is a whitewash! Long live the BBC!

Crime is confusing.

Kat February 8th 04 09:02 PM

Bus Routes.

In message , Robin May
writes

The dirty minded school children's favourite is the 69. I never would
have though my local bus route could cause so much amusement until I
witnessed it.

Thanks for all your ideas; I'm making a note of them.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.