Old February 8th 04, 05:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Watford Junction Travelcard question

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 21:24:13 +0000, "Alan J. Flavell"
wrote:

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, David Biddulph wrote:

"Phil" wrote in message
To answer the original question the person who wishes to travel 10
times from boundary six to Watford and backon the same day would buy
the travel card
and not spend £30 on CDRs

I thought that a one day travelcard only allowed one return journey from the
station outside the zones,

Correct. On arrival back at the starting point, the whole ticket's
validity technically ceases (even if one somehow went to London again
later the same day).

and that it was only within the London zones that
one was allowed unlimited travel?

But not after having used the return portion.

Of course, whether this can be enforced in practice is a different
question. But if there's an automatic barrier, then it's reported
that it swallows the ticket after the return leg, which came as a
surprise to some.

It does, I have to be especially careful at Luton AP as I need my
ticket for expenses!!

Keith J Chesworth
www.unseenlondon.co.uk
www.blackpooltram.co.uk
www.happysnapper.com
www.boilerbill.com - main site
www.amerseyferry.co.uk

Old February 8th 04, 05:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Keith J Chesworth wrote:

Of course, whether this can be enforced in practice is a different
question. But if there's an automatic barrier, then it's reported
that it swallows the ticket after the return leg, which came as a
surprise to some.

It does, I have to be especially careful at Luton AP as I need my
ticket for expenses!!

I know the feeling!

At Edinburgh the other day I was behind a chap who was trying to
retain his ticket instead of it being collected by the barrier man: he
seemed to be getting a long lecture about the importance of asking for
a receipt when purchasing the ticket, as he had no right to retain the
ticket itself. Towards the end of the lecture (I must admit I swerved
across to one of the other barrier staff as it was taking far too
long) I saw that the barrier man tore the ticket across fairly
violently, and handed the remains back to the aggrieved passenger.

I handed in my outward ticket without fuss, intending (if push came to
shove) to argue the toss with the return half.

Unusually, on the way back, not only was the ticket not checked on the
train (there had been no check on entering the platform at Ed., but
that's normal), and no ticket check on leaving the platform at Gla.
Queen Street, so I still had an unmarked (SDR return half) ticket.
There were however information leaflets on the train warning that
automatic barriers will soon be in operation, and repeating the advice
to ask for a receipt at time of purchase if needed.