Old February 7th 04, 11:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Station Close, Finchley Central

Hi all,

Has Finchley Central station been relocated from the Station Close area? Did
the station's name change when it was relocated? TIA.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 7th 04, 06:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Anon" wrote in message

what does your message mean

Explained below.

"John Rowland" wrote in message

Has Finchley Central station been relocated
from the Station Close area?

Station Close is a small road off Station Road in Finchley. Its angle is
reminescent of station approach roads across the country, but it is not
particularly near the station. This makes me think that the station used to
be here, but has been moved to its current site.

Did the station's name change when it was relocated?

Was the old station called "Finchley" and did it acquire the name "Central"
when it was moved?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 7th 04, 08:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:

"Anon" wrote in message

what does your message mean

Explained below.

"John Rowland" wrote in
message

Has Finchley Central station been relocated
from the Station Close area?

Station Close is a small road off Station Road in Finchley. Its angle is
reminescent of station approach roads across the country, but it is not
particularly near the station. This makes me think that the station
used to
be here, but has been moved to its current site.

Did the station's name change when it was relocated?

Was the old station called "Finchley" and did it acquire the name
"Central"
when it was moved?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

No, the station has always been in the same place. Station Close is not
shown on the 1895 O/S map, so I'm not sure when it was added. I assume
it's called station Close because it's off Station Road. In 1895, Station
Road was the only road running parallel to the railway line, and there
were no buildings shown on the railway side of the road. There is
nothing on that map that looks as if it could have been anything that
later became Station Close. There is a foot exit from the Bridge at
Finchley to Station Road, and this is also shown on the 1895 map.

Roger
Old February 8th 04, 09:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I am not 100% but wasn't the original name for the station 'Church End'

Old February 8th 04, 09:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
snip

Was the old station called "Finchley" and did it acquire the name "Central"
when it was moved?

I understand that the station used to be called "Finchley Church End" or
even just "Church End". I'm not quite sure where I found that out. Are
there any links to old maps?

Old February 8th 04, 10:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 19:56:35 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote:

"Anon" wrote in message

what does your message mean

Explained below.

"John Rowland" wrote in message

Has Finchley Central station been relocated
from the Station Close area?

Station Close is a small road off Station Road in Finchley. Its angle is
reminescent of station approach roads across the country, but it is not
particularly near the station. This makes me think that the station used to
be here, but has been moved to its current site.

Did the station's name change when it was relocated?

Was the old station called "Finchley" and did it acquire the name "Central"
when it was moved?

According to Leboff ('London Underground Stations', Ian Allen, 1994):

"Opened as 'Finchley & Hendon' on 22 August 1867 by the GNR. The
station was renamed 'Finchley' on 1 February 1872 and the
track/platform layout altered two months later to allow through trains
to High Barnet. Its title was changed to 'Finchley (Church End)' on 1
February 1894, and the station was finally given its current name on 1
April 1940. The track layout was latered and the platforms extended
at their southern end in advance of the commencement of Northern Line
serviuces on 14 April 1940, when the line was extended from East
Finchley to High Barnet."

The current station building is the original GNR one, and Station
Close is much too far south to have been affected by the
platform-extentsions in 1940. Take a look at the aerial view from
www.multimap.co.uk:

http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cg...ze=small&lang=

You can see that Station Road is not perfectly straight and it does
"bulge" away from the track line quite considerably, hence Station
Close (roughly central on the photo) could be "fitted" in.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk
Old February 8th 04, 11:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...

snip

Thanks to Nick, romix and others for the great replies.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 8th 04, 03:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 12:07:59 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Hi all,

Has Finchley Central station been relocated from the Station Close area? Did
the station's name change when it was relocated? TIA.

David Leboff's book confirms my view that is is still the original
Great Northern station. I am not clear whether the relative status of
the entrances was changed at some point however..

AS a tube station it has always been Finchley but ion steam days it
was Finchley and Hendon and then Finchley Church End.
--
Peter Lawrence
Old February 8th 04, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Lawrence wrote:

snip
AS a tube station it has always been Finchley but ion steam days it
was Finchley and Hendon and then Finchley Church End.

I may be wrong but I thought I'd seen an old tube map with "Church End"
on. Any links to old maps?