Old October 2nd 14, 07:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Underground on Wednesday, 1 October,2014.

Wednesday, 1 October was not a good day for London Underground.
Paddington signal failure about 0700 and "a person on the line" to
Hammersmith (Hammersmith & City) about 1100. Does that mean "one under"?

A train failure at Tottenham Court Road before 0700 resulted in no
Central Line service between Liverpool Street and Marble Arch until
about noon.
Alternative reports of emergency engineering works made me guess the
failed train hit something. Loss of the Central line seemed to overload
the westbound Jubilee. I boarded the fourth arriving train at London
Bridge about 0830. ;(

I suppose the day continued in kind.

The failure rate seems much lower than it was about 5 years ago. Double
failures are now rare. 40% delay improvement claims seem pessimistic.
--
Walter Briscoe

Old October 2nd 14, 07:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Walter Briscoe wrote:
Wednesday, 1 October was not a good day for London Underground.
Paddington signal failure about 0700 and "a person on the line" to
Hammersmith (Hammersmith & City) about 1100. Does that mean "one under"?

I don't think so. More likely to mean a reported trespasser, I think?

A train failure at Tottenham Court Road before 0700 resulted in no
Central Line service between Liverpool Street and Marble Arch until
about noon.
Alternative reports of emergency engineering works made me guess the
failed train hit something.

It's happened before on the Central Line.

Loss of the Central line seemed to overload
the westbound Jubilee. I boarded the fourth arriving train at London
Bridge about 0830. ;(

Peak-time Jubilee line services are packed in Central London even when
nothing goes wrong. They really do need those extra trains, to run a more
frequent service.

I suppose the day continued in kind.

The failure rate seems much lower than it was about 5 years ago. Double
failures are now rare. 40% delay improvement claims seem pessimistic.

TfL certainly claims that the service is much more reliable these days.
Old October 2nd 14, 08:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:52:31 on Thu, 2
Oct 2014, Walter Briscoe remarked:
A train failure at Tottenham Court Road before 0700 resulted in no
Central Line service between Liverpool Street and Marble Arch until
about noon.
Alternative reports of emergency engineering works made me guess the
failed train hit something.

Before or after it failed? (I think things have dropped off trains in
the past).
Old October 2nd 14, 08:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:52:31 on Thu, 2
Oct 2014, Walter Briscoe remarked:
A train failure at Tottenham Court Road before 0700 resulted in no
Central Line service between Liverpool Street and Marble Arch until
about noon.
Alternative reports of emergency engineering works made me guess the
failed train hit something.

Before or after it failed? (I think things have dropped off trains in the past).

Yes, driving motors came loose on 92TS a few years ago, and at least one
fell off, derailing the train:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2786565.stm

There was also an incident in July 2007 when a train derailed after hitting
some materials that had been badly stowed in a cross passage after weekend
maintenance:
http://www.raib.gov.uk/cms_resources...8_Mile_End.pdf
Old October 2nd 14, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:01:47 on
Thu, 2 Oct 2014, Paul Corfield remarked:
A train failure at Tottenham Court Road before 0700 resulted in no
Central Line service between Liverpool Street and Marble Arch until
about noon.
Alternative reports of emergency engineering works made me guess the
failed train hit something. Loss of the Central line seemed to overload
the westbound Jubilee. I boarded the fourth arriving train at London
Bridge about 0830. ;(

I suppose the day continued in kind.

The failure rate seems much lower than it was about 5 years ago. Double
failures are now rare. 40% delay improvement claims seem pessimistic.

It is reported on the District Dave blog that an engineering hours
move of the preserved Cravens unit (back from the EOR) resulted in
damage to the conductor rail. The first service train had several of
its shoes knocked off by the misaligned track. That train was then
stranded. Getting the train out of the way and then repairing the
conductor rail is what took the time. Not the first time this sort of
thing has happened (i.e. damaged conductor rail knocking current shoes
off trains).

Doesn't bode well for future moves for the Cravens unit. I wonder who
will get the bill for that episode?

Old October 2nd 14, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 11:01:47 +0100
Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 08:52:31 +0100, Walter Briscoe
The failure rate seems much lower than it was about 5 years ago. Double
failures are now rare. 40% delay improvement claims seem pessimistic.

It is reported on the District Dave blog that an engineering hours
move of the preserved Cravens unit (back from the EOR) resulted in

Thats interesting. Did it get hauled from Ongar all the way by rail? I
thought some track north of Epping had been lifted to seperate the 2
railways. Aside from that I'd imagine it would be in pretty ropey condition
anyway having not been used for 20 years.

--
Spud

Old October 2nd 14, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
Jarle Hammen Knudsen wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

It is reported on the District Dave blog that an engineering hours
move of the preserved Cravens unit (back from the EOR) resulted in

Thats interesting. Did it get hauled from Ongar all the way by rail? I
thought some track north of Epping had been lifted to seperate the 2
railways.

Apparently not. The unit was successfully moved to the EOR from
Ruislip depot.

From IanVisits:

" Incidentally, as the railway link between Epping and the EOR railway
has been severed, that means three tube trains and two locomotives
will be traveling by road to get to the heritage line. "

http://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2014...sed-tube-line/

But previous posts here have said that it was moved entirely by rail, with
stop blocks removed and points clipped at Epping. I wonder which is
correct?

Actually, thinking about it, it must have been entirely by rail. Had it
been moved by road, it would have obviously gone straight from Ruislip to
the EOR, with no need to traverse the Central Line tunnels through London.