London Banter

-   -   New Tax Discs (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1408-new-tax-discs.html)

Nigel February 9th 04 04:43 PM

New Tax Discs

Does anyone know what information the bar-code on the new style Tax
Discs stores and who has access to reading the code.

Nigel

John February 9th 04 07:07 PM

New Tax Discs

I guess that the bar code is merely a unique identifier which when it is
recorded with the bar code on the application form forms a valuable record
of personal details and the source of the disc.. The two codes together
would prove that the disc is genuine

--

Regards

John

"Nigel" wrote in message
Does anyone know what information the bar-code on the new style Tax
Discs stores and who has access to reading the code.

Nigel

---
All of my outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Martin Rich February 10th 04 08:07 AM

New Tax Discs

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 17:43:10 GMT, (Nigel) wrote:

Does anyone know what information the bar-code on the new style Tax
Discs stores and who has access to reading the code.

If you get a tax disc at a post office, the counter attendant scans
the bar code before giving you the disc. When I got my new bar-coded
and starred tax disc I was surprised to be given my renewal form back
with the disc. So it would appear that scanning the bar-code is used
for some sort of record keeping, which was previously achieved by
retaining the renewal form.

Incidentally, something that I'd often wondered, and somebody here
might know. Do the London bus operators (and, for that matter,
anybody else with a big fleet of vehicles) just send somebody down to
the post office every month with a whole pile of tax disc renewal
forms and a company cheque? Or is there some more streamlined process
for bulk renewal?

Martin

Barry Salter February 10th 04 12:58 PM

New Tax Discs

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:07:15 +0000, Martin Rich
wrote:

Incidentally, something that I'd often wondered, and somebody here
might know. Do the London bus operators (and, for that matter,
anybody else with a big fleet of vehicles) just send somebody down to
the post office every month with a whole pile of tax disc renewal
forms and a company cheque? Or is there some more streamlined process
for bulk renewal?

Looking at the DVLA website, it seems there's some form of Electronic
Re-Registration process for Fleet operators, though it doesn't go into
specifics.

It is, of course, also possible that the poor old Office Junior could
get sent to the Post Office with a suitably large cheque (current rate
for most double deckers being £500 for 12 months, £330 for Midi Buses
[36 to 60 seats]), but extremely unlikely unless it's a very small
operation.

HTH,

Barry

--
Barry Salter, barry at southie dot me dot uk
Read uk.* newsgroups? Read uk.net.news.announce!

DISCLAIMER: The above comments do not necessarily represent the
views of my employers.

Matt Wheeler February 10th 04 06:18 PM

New Tax Discs

wrote:

[...]

Not sure how this answers, but I've seen a few Arriva the Shires buses
with their Tax Discs stamped for the Arndale Centre post office in
Luton.
Which makes me wonder if Arriva the Shires (at least) really do send
someone down to the post office once a month.

Clive D. W. Feather February 12th 04 09:50 AM

New Tax Discs

In article , Martin Rich
writes
Does anyone know what information the bar-code on the new style Tax
Discs stores and who has access to reading the code.

If you get a tax disc at a post office, the counter attendant scans
the bar code before giving you the disc.

This indicates to me that the bar code simply contains the number of the
disc. I'm away from my cars for a couple of days, so I can't easily
check this.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Martin Rich February 13th 04 07:34 AM

New Tax Discs

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:50:30 +0000, "Clive D. W. Feather"
wrote:

In article , Martin Rich
writes
Does anyone know what information the bar-code on the new style Tax
Discs stores and who has access to reading the code.

If you get a tax disc at a post office, the counter attendant scans
the bar code before giving you the disc.

This indicates to me that the bar code simply contains the number of the
disc. I'm away from my cars for a couple of days, so I can't easily
check this.

Unlike most other bar codes, the code on the tax disc doesn't have the
numbers printed next to the bars. I'd also suspect it's the disc
number, but don't know how to read bar codes visually so can't verify
that

Martin

David Walters February 18th 04 06:32 PM

New Tax Discs

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 17:43:10 GMT, Nigel wrote:
Does anyone know what information the bar-code on the new style Tax
Discs stores and who has access to reading the code.

I got a new tax disc today and I've just scanned the bar code.

It appears to be a type 128 code and has a 14 digit number encoded.
The last 10 digits match the number across the top of the disc. In
my case the first 4 digits are 0905 for a disc that runs out at the
end of Feb next year. 0205 would have seemed more obvious.

David

Greg Hennessy February 18th 04 09:19 PM

New Tax Discs

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:32:45 +0000, David Walters
wrote:

It appears to be a type 128 code and has a 14 digit number encoded.
The last 10 digits match the number across the top of the disc. In
my case the first 4 digits are 0905 for a disc that runs out at the
end of Feb next year. 0205 would have seemed more obvious.

You have to remember that these are the idiots who wasted good money
inventing the new number plate system which pandered to the motor industry.

greg

--
You do a lot less thundering in the pulpit against the Harlot
after she marches right down the aisle and kicks you in the nuts.

Dave Liney February 18th 04 09:37 PM

New Tax Discs

"Greg Hennessy" wrote in message

You have to remember that these are the idiots who wasted good money
inventing the new number plate system which pandered to the motor

industry.

In what way does it pander to the motor industry? Changing the 'year
identifier' twice a year was brought in with the old single letter
identifier scheme. As I understand it the car industry would much rather not
have a change at set points in the year but rather have a continuous series
and so reduce the peaks and troughs in car sales after and before the
changeover time.

Of course if you're not fussy about when your car was born according to the
number plate you can get a bargain.

Dave

John Rowland February 18th 04 09:43 PM

New Tax Discs

"David Walters" wrote in message

In my case the first 4 digits are 0905 for a
disc that runs out at the end of Feb next year.
0205 would have seemed more obvious.

Perhaps they are using week numbers.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Clive D. W. Feather February 18th 04 10:10 PM

New Tax Discs

In article , John Rowland
writes
In my case the first 4 digits are 0905 for a
disc that runs out at the end of Feb next year.
0205 would have seemed more obvious.

Perhaps they are using week numbers.

Unlikely, since they won't know the week of sale when they print the
code.

Clive D. W. Feather February 18th 04 10:11 PM

New Tax Discs

In article , David Walters
writes
Does anyone know what information the bar-code on the new style Tax
Discs stores and who has access to reading the code.

I got a new tax disc today and I've just scanned the bar code.

It appears to be a type 128 code and has a 14 digit number encoded.
The last 10 digits match the number across the top of the disc. In
my case the first 4 digits are 0905 for a disc that runs out at the
end of Feb next year. 0205 would have seemed more obvious.

The first digit of the disc number *is* the expiry month.

I'll look at my tax disc when I remember and see what the code says.

Greg Hennessy February 18th 04 10:22 PM

New Tax Discs

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:37:54 -0000, "Dave Liney" wrote:

You have to remember that these are the idiots who wasted good money
inventing the new number plate system which pandered to the motor

industry.

In what way does it pander to the motor industry? Changing the 'year
identifier' twice a year was brought in with the old single letter
identifier scheme.

Which is exactly what happened with the yearly letter change and then the 6
monthly nonsense which resulted from the august sales glut.

It was originally meant to turnover on the 1st of Jan.

As I understand it the car industry would much rather not
have a change at set points in the year but rather have a continuous series
and so reduce the peaks and troughs in car sales after and before the
changeover time.

Pardon my french, but F*ck the car industry. Other countries manage just
fine without changing a year identifier every 6 months.

IIRC in switzerland the plate is handed out for life.

In 7-8 characters, they could have easily encoded registration information
using Base36 and not have of the 4/7ths redundancy on each and every plate.

Of course if you're not fussy about when your car was born according to the
number plate you can get a bargain.

Quite. Taking a 10-15% loss on something driven new out the showroom door
is the height of stupidity.

greg

Richard J. February 19th 04 12:40 AM

New Tax Discs

"Greg Hennessy" wrote in message

In 7-8 characters, they could have easily encoded registration

information
using Base36 and not have of the 4/7ths redundancy on each and every

plate.

What's your problem with the redundancy? Isn't some of it needed anyway
to enable the old numbering systems to coexist with the new one?
--
Richard J.

Clive D. W. Feather February 19th 04 06:02 AM

New Tax Discs

In article , David Walters
writes
It appears to be a type 128 code and has a 14 digit number encoded.
The last 10 digits match the number across the top of the disc. In
my case the first 4 digits are 0905 for a disc that runs out at the
end of Feb next year. 0205 would have seemed more obvious.

Having thought further about it, 05 is probably the year of expiry
(which isn't encoded in the disc number), but 09 probably means "this is
a car tax disc" as opposed to, say, "this is a pension book".

Greg Hennessy February 19th 04 09:27 AM

New Tax Discs

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 01:40:41 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

"Greg Hennessy" wrote in message
.. .

In 7-8 characters, they could have easily encoded registration

information
using Base36 and not have of the 4/7ths redundancy on each and every

plate.

What's your problem with the redundancy?

Its a horse designed by a committee.

Isn't some of it needed anyway
to enable the old numbering systems to coexist with the new one?

Taking up nearly 60% of each and every plate issued is bad design IMHO.

Some is needed if one is going to encode the year and location of
registration.

Personally I consider the issue of yearly plates to be silly.

Giving each license holder his own plate for life would have solved the
problem once and for all.

greg

Richard J. February 19th 04 09:42 AM

New Tax Discs

wrote:

"Greg Hennessy" wrote in message

In 7-8 characters, they could have easily encoded registration
information using Base36 and not have of the 4/7ths redundancy on
each and every plate.

What's your problem with the redundancy?

Its a horse designed by a committee.

That's not an answer to my question.

Isn't some of it needed anyway
to enable the old numbering systems to coexist with the new one?

Taking up nearly 60% of each and every plate issued is bad design
IMHO.

You're implying that it needs only 3 characters to identify the vehicle.
That's a maximum of 46,656 using all letters and digits. I think we
have rather more vehicles than that on the roads.

Some is needed if one is going to encode the year and location of
registration.

Personally I consider the issue of yearly plates to be silly.

Giving each license holder his own plate for life would have solved
the problem once and for all.

What is this "problem" that you are so concerned about?
--
Richard J.

Greg Hennessy February 19th 04 11:30 AM

New Tax Discs

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:42:35 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

What's your problem with the redundancy?

Its a horse designed by a committee.

That's not an answer to my question.

It is, I was clearly referring to ~60% redudancy in the current system.
Which I qualified in the sentence below.

Isn't some of it needed anyway
to enable the old numbering systems to coexist with the new one?

Taking up nearly 60% of each and every plate issued is bad design
IMHO.

You're implying that it needs only 3 characters to identify the vehicle.

Where did I imply that. A vehicle is *uniquely* identified from the 26^3
combination of the 3 character remainder, not the 4 characters wasted on a
static year / registration office. Thats only ~17.5k odd combinations which
one must assume a busy registration office would easily consume in a
matter of days/weeks. Especially with bulk registrations from fleet buyers.

Common sense would dictate that a combination of

2 digit Year
[A-Z0-9] registration location
4 Character Base36 unique ID,

would generate nearly 1.7 million unique registrations in comparison

Personally I consider the issue of yearly plates to be silly.

Giving each license holder his own plate for life would have solved
the problem once and for all.

What is this "problem" that you are so concerned about?

Unnecessarily wasting taxpayers money.

The number of vehicles and licensed drivers on the roads is relatively
fixed when compared to the open ended number to keep track in the current
system.

greg

Adrian February 19th 04 12:13 PM

New Tax Discs

Greg Hennessy ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

You're implying that it needs only 3 characters to identify the
vehicle.

Where did I imply that. A vehicle is *uniquely* identified from the
26^3 combination of the 3 character remainder, not the 4 characters
wasted on a static year / registration office. Thats only ~17.5k odd
combinations which one must assume a busy registration office would
easily consume in a matter of days/weeks. Especially with bulk
registrations from fleet buyers.

Erm, not quite.

A vehicle is *uniquely* identified by the full seven characters.

For example - AB51DEF, AB02DEF and AB53DEF might all exist.
AB51DEF, GH51DEF, KL51DEF might all exist.

While it's possible that the 17,500 AB51 registrations may well only last
a week, the office that issues AB has a number of series available to it
for the six month period dictated by 51.

The smallest allocation of codes to an office are Inverness and Truro,
with two apiece, and Bangor and Aberdeen with three apiece.

There's one code allocated to new cars registered to addresses on the
Isle of Wight.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regm...ent_system.htm
has a disclaimer, too - "Please Note: In the event of one office
receiving an exceptionally high demand that depletes its stock of
registration marks, marks may be transferred between DVLA local offices."

Since there's 19x23 regional identifiers, there's a total of 7.7million
unique registrations available in each six month period.

According to the SMMT, there was a "record" 2.6million new cars
registered in the whole of 2003. OK, that's cars, not
trucks/busses/bikes/whatever, but even so, it's a long way off the 15.4
million available plates....

Richard J. February 19th 04 09:22 PM

New Tax Discs

wrote:
Taking up nearly 60% of each and every plate issued is bad design
IMHO.

You're implying that it needs only 3 characters to identify the
vehicle.

Where did I imply that. A vehicle is *uniquely* identified from the
26^3 combination of the 3 character remainder, not the 4 characters
wasted on a static year / registration office. Thats only ~17.5k odd
combinations which one must assume a busy registration office would
easily consume in a matter of days/weeks. Especially with bulk
registrations from fleet buyers.

Common sense would dictate that a combination of

2 digit Year
[A-Z0-9] registration location
4 Character Base36 unique ID,

would generate nearly 1.7 million unique registrations in comparison

But that's still 7 characters, and it doesn't cope with the 40 DVLA
offices identified in the current system, which the DVLA presumably
finds convenient. So why is it better?

Personally I consider the issue of yearly plates to be silly.

Giving each license holder his own plate for life would have solved
the problem once and for all.

What is this "problem" that you are so concerned about?

Unnecessarily wasting taxpayers money.

The number of vehicles and licensed drivers on the roads is relatively
fixed when compared to the open ended number to keep track in the
current system.

I assume you mean owners rather than drivers, otherwise your scheme
doesn't work for commercial vehicles at all. But I'm still not clear
how you would save money. When a car was first assigned to an owner, it
would need to be registered against that owner's personal number
(assuming a tidy situation where he had just got rid of his previous car
and could therefore reuse the number). It would then have to be
re-registered when sold to another owner. Where is the saving?
--
Richard J.

Dave Liney February 20th 04 12:20 AM

New Tax Discs

"Greg Hennessy" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:37:54 -0000, "Dave Liney" wrote:

You have to remember that these are the idiots who wasted good money
inventing the new number plate system which pandered to the motor

industry.

In what way does it pander to the motor industry? Changing the 'year
identifier' twice a year was brought in with the old single letter
identifier scheme.

Which is exactly what happened with the yearly letter change and then the

6
monthly nonsense which resulted from the august sales glut.

You seem to have missed the point that the twice yearly changeover has
nothing to do with the new system but was already in place before it was
introduced. There was no change in the time of identifier change with the
introduction of the new system.

As I understand it the car industry would much rather not
have a change at set points in the year but rather have a continuous

series
and so reduce the peaks and troughs in car sales after and before the
changeover time.

Pardon my french, but F*ck the car industry. Other countries manage just
fine without changing a year identifier every 6 months.

If you actually read what I had posted you would have realised that I said
that the car industry does not want the changeover at 12 months or 6 months,
they would rather have a continuous series. Which apparently you are
suggesting but feel the need to disagree with me.

Dave.

Greg Hennessy February 20th 04 10:39 AM

New Tax Discs

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:22:08 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Common sense would dictate that a combination of

2 digit Year
[A-Z0-9] registration location
4 Character Base36 unique ID,

would generate nearly 1.7 million unique registrations in comparison

But that's still 7 characters, and it doesn't cope with the 40 DVLA
offices identified in the current system, which the DVLA presumably
finds convenient. So why is it better?

that's 36 unique registration locations versus 40. What's so special about
maintaining 40 DVLA offices ?

What is this "problem" that you are so concerned about?

Unnecessarily wasting taxpayers money.

The number of vehicles and licensed drivers on the roads is relatively
fixed when compared to the open ended number to keep track in the
current system.

I assume you mean owners rather than drivers, otherwise your scheme
doesn't work for commercial vehicles at all.

No I mean drivers. A commercial vehicle driver turns up and attaches his
plate to the vehicle he's driving that day.

But I'm still not clear
how you would save money. When a car was first assigned to an owner, it
would need to be registered against that owner's personal number

Well apart from depriving garages of the 500 quid plate fees they charge
for putting a new car on the road. How hard is it for a new owner to turn
up with a set of plates and id for the garage to key into the relevant
database.

(assuming a tidy situation where he had just got rid of his previous car
and could therefore reuse the number).

That's the whole point, under the swiss system, one can move the plate
between every vehicle one owns. The function of the plate is to identify
the driver, and the driver can only drive one car at a time.

It would then have to be
re-registered when sold to another owner. Where is the saving?

Why would it have to be 're-registered'. The new owner turns up with his
plates and drives away.

greg

Greg Hennessy February 20th 04 10:39 AM

New Tax Discs

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 01:20:32 -0000, "Dave Liney" wrote:

Which is exactly what happened with the yearly letter change and then the

6
monthly nonsense which resulted from the august sales glut.

You seem to have missed the point that the twice yearly changeover has
nothing to do with the new system but was already in place before it was
introduced.

Which was an attempt to smooth over august sales peak caused by the suffix
changed being moved there from January.

Are you suggesting that said movement of the yearly identifying mark and
the resulting distortion on sales had nothing to do with the motor industry
?

There was no change in the time of identifier change with the
introduction of the new system.

Proof if any was needed of the current dogs breakfast. If one is going to
introduce a completely new system and encode a yearly identifying mark,
changing it every 6 months is just silly.

Pardon my french, but F*ck the car industry. Other countries manage just
fine without changing a year identifier every 6 months.

If you actually read what I had posted you would have realised that I said
that the car industry does not want the changeover at 12 months or 6 months,

That would be the car industry who persuaded the govt to move the suffix
change from Jan to Aug in the Mid 60s, and then whinged even more to get a
twice yearly change due to the distorting effects that change had on the
market.

Unless you are suggesting the govts of the day had some other reasons for
taking such arbitrary action ?

they would rather have a continuous series.

The registration system doesn't exist for the benefit of the car industry.

greg

Boltar February 20th 04 01:32 PM

New Tax Discs

Greg Hennessy wrote in message . ..
Personally I consider the issue of yearly plates to be silly.

Personally I quite like it. Its a quick rough indication of a cars
age when you're buying 2nd hand. Ok the plates could be faked but thats a
whole other issue.

Giving each license holder his own plate for life would have solved the
problem once and for all.

No thanks. I don't want a plate that will identify me personally. I carry
enough id as it is and don't need yet more big brother survellance on top
of it.

B2003

Dr Ivan D. Reid February 20th 04 03:07 PM

New Tax Discs

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:39:34 +0000, Greg Hennessy
wrote in :

That's the whole point, under the swiss system, one can move the plate
between every vehicle one owns. The function of the plate is to identify
the driver, and the driver can only drive one car at a time.

Not in my experience; I was told that a plate may only be swapped
between two different vehicles of the same insurance class. The plate
doesn't identify the driver, it more identifies the insurance -- if you
lay your bike up for the winter, you return the plate to the insurer for
safe-keeping (and a lower insurance premium) during the time it's
off-road. When I left Switzerland I had t return the plate to Zurich
Insurance, not the Aargau equivalent of DVLA.

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Room 40-1-B12, CERN

Aidan Stanger February 21st 04 08:51 AM

New Tax Discs

Dave Liney wrote:

If you actually read what I had posted you would have realised that I said
that the car industry does not want the changeover at 12 months or 6 months,
they would rather have a continuous series.

I don't believe you. Surely the motor industry loves the fact that so
many people buy a new car just because the year identifier on the number
plates has changed?

Here in Australia we do have a continuous series and there are no year
identifiers, and the average age of the cars looks lot higher (although
for obvious reasons it's hard to be sure). However, there are still
sales peaks caused by the introduction of new models (and the
discounting to get rid of the old ones) and in June (at the end of the
financial year).

Dave Liney February 21st 04 06:05 PM

New Tax Discs

"Greg Hennessy" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 01:20:32 -0000, "Dave Liney" wrote:

You seem to have missed the point that the twice yearly changeover has
nothing to do with the new system but was already in place before it was
introduced.

Which was an attempt to smooth over august sales peak caused by the suffix
changed being moved there from January.
Are you suggesting that said movement of the yearly identifying mark and
the resulting distortion on sales had nothing to do with the motor

industry?

The move of the suffix to August did not cause the sales peak. There had
been one when the changeover was in January and the changeover month was
moved to a time when the demand for new cars could more easily be met. The
distortion of sales was caused by the government's introduction of the
yearly indentifier; nothing to do with the motor industry.

There was no change in the time of identifier change with the
introduction of the new system.

Proof if any was needed of the current dogs breakfast. If one is going to
introduce a completely new system and encode a yearly identifying mark,
changing it every 6 months is just silly.

What is encoded is a six monthly id mark. Changing that every six months
makes sense to me.

If you actually read what I had posted you would have realised that I

said
that the car industry does not want the changeover at 12 months or 6

months,

That would be the car industry who persuaded the govt to move the suffix
change from Jan to Aug in the Mid 60s, and then whinged even more to get a
twice yearly change due to the distorting effects that change had on the
market.

They asked the government to move the changeover month, which happened in
1967. However this was in response to the government bring in the year
identifier in in 1963, which was not of the motor industry's doing. They
were trying to make the best of a bad situation.

Do you really think that people didn't want to show they had a new car by
getting one right after the changeover in January, but when it changed in
August they suddenly did?

they would rather have a continuous series.

The registration system doesn't exist for the benefit of the car industry.

What do you want? Half the time you are saying there should be a continuous
series and then you say it would be terrible to do it because the motor
industry would prefer it.

Dave

Dave Liney February 21st 04 06:15 PM

New Tax Discs

"Aidan Stanger" wrote in message
Dave Liney wrote:

If you actually read what I had posted you would have realised that I

said
that the car industry does not want the changeover at 12 months or 6

months,
they would rather have a continuous series.

I don't believe you. Surely the motor industry loves the fact that so
many people buy a new car just because the year identifier on the number
plates has changed?

Most industries would prefer, for the same number of sales annually, to have
them level across the year rather than have a significant dip and peak once
or twice a year.

I don't think the changeover makes people buy cars. It makes them buy a new
car, if they are going to buy one at all, just after the changeover rather
than in the month before but that is a different thing altogether.

Dave.

Greg Hennessy February 21st 04 09:30 PM

New Tax Discs

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:05:36 -0000, "Dave Liney" wrote:

The move of the suffix to August did not cause the sales peak.

Of course it did.

There had
been one when the changeover was in January and the changeover month was
moved to a time when the demand for new cars could more easily be met.

That contradicts what I've heard elsewhere. It was moved to August
precisely to stimulate demand. Few people were in the humour to spend money
on new cars just after Xmas.

The
distortion of sales was caused by the government's introduction of the
yearly indentifier; nothing to do with the motor industry.

There was never a sales peak in January, thats nonsense.

greg

Martin Rich February 21st 04 10:56 PM

New Tax Discs

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:30:33 +0000, Greg Hennessy
wrote:

Unnecessarily wasting taxpayers money.

The number of vehicles and licensed drivers on the roads is relatively
fixed when compared to the open ended number to keep track in the current
system.

Form a taxpayers' and risk management. point of view I'd be very
uneasy about dismantling a system that in principle has been around
for 100 years plus (with some work on the number format every few
decades to ensure the continuing supply of new numbers) to introduce
something radically new.

In the US vehicle licensing is the responsibility of individual
states. Some have systems where numbers stay with the vehicle; others
have something like the Swiss system where the numbers stay with the
driver. I wonder whether anybody's done a study on whether one of
these systems is cheaper to administer than the other.

Martin

Richard J. February 22nd 04 12:49 AM

New Tax Discs

wrote:

The move of the suffix to August did not cause the sales peak.

Of course it did.

There had been one when the changeover was in January and the
changeover month was moved to a time when the demand for new
cars could more easily be met.

That contradicts what I've heard elsewhere. It was moved to August
precisely to stimulate demand. Few people were in the humour to spend
money on new cars just after Xmas.

I don't know where you heard that, but my recollection from that time is
that there was indeed a peak in the New Year, originally in order to
have the cachet of a car dating from the new year, and reinforced from
1963 onwards by the year letter. Car manufacturers tended to tool up
for new models during the August holidays. Thus, the "1966" models were
put into production in September 1965, exhibited at the October 1965
Motor Show, and then lay around unsold because people wanted a 1966
registration. It was for that reason that the year letter change was
moved to 1st August. It was indeed done to stimulate demand, but to do
so in August in order to lessen the huge peak in January.

The distortion of sales was caused by the government's introduction

of
the yearly indentifier; nothing to do with the motor industry.

There was never a sales peak in January, thats nonsense.

I disagree (see above). Your evidence?
--
Richard J.

Aidan Stanger February 22nd 04 01:16 PM

New Tax Discs

Dave Liney wrote:
"Aidan Stanger" wrote...
Dave Liney wrote:

If you actually read what I had posted you would have realised that I
said that the car industry does not want the changeover at 12 months
or 6 months, they would rather have a continuous series.

I don't believe you. Surely the motor industry loves the fact that so
many people buy a new car just because the year identifier on the number
plates has changed?

Most industries would prefer, for the same number of sales annually, to have
them level across the year rather than have a significant dip and peak once
or twice a year.

But most would give that up for more sales annually.

With a fluctuating demand, they have the opportunity to manipulate their
pricing policy to take advantage of it.

I don't think the changeover makes people buy cars. It makes them buy a new
car, if they are going to buy one at all, just after the changeover rather
than in the month before but that is a different thing altogether.

The changeover certainly made people buy cars when it was annual. Did
the change to every 6 months make people realise how silly that was?

Colin Rosenstiel February 23rd 04 12:21 AM

New Tax Discs

In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

"Greg Hennessy" wrote in message

In 7-8 characters, they could have easily encoded registration
information using Base36 and not have of the 4/7ths redundancy on each
and every plate.

What's your problem with the redundancy? Isn't some of it needed anyway
to enable the old numbering systems to coexist with the new one?

Redundancy is also inherent in the regional identification coding.

What amuses me is the new concept of "uncherished" numbers introduced by
the new system.

Have you noticed how high a proportion of the plates that have "X" or "Z"
(or both) in the three-letter group, presumably because the DVLA can't
sell most of them?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Clive D. W. Feather February 23rd 04 05:01 AM

New Tax Discs

In article ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
Have you noticed how high a proportion of the plates that have "X" or "Z"
(or both) in the three-letter group, presumably because the DVLA can't
sell most of them?

There are 13824 three-letter groups available. 3176 (23%) contain an X
or a Z. That roughly matches my perception of their frequency; have you
done a census?

Colin Rosenstiel February 25th 04 01:03 AM

New Tax Discs

In article ,
(Clive D. W. Feather) wrote:

In article
, Colin
Rosenstiel
Have you noticed how high a proportion of the plates that have "X" or
"Z" (or both) in the three-letter group, presumably because the DVLA
can't sell most of them?

There are 13824 three-letter groups available. 3176 (23%) contain an X
or a Z. That roughly matches my perception of their frequency; have you
done a census?

I thought it was more than that, hence my question.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Clive D. W. Feather February 26th 04 09:20 AM

New Tax Discs

In article ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
There are 13824 three-letter groups available. 3176 (23%) contain an X
or a Z. That roughly matches my perception of their frequency; have you
done a census?

I thought it was more than that, hence my question.

The problem is that once you start looking, you tend to notice them
more. That's why I asked about a census.

FX: pause

I just did a very crude one while waiting at a bus stop at King's Cross.
21 cars passed with series 3 index plates; 5 had X or Z.

Richard J. February 26th 04 10:57 AM

New Tax Discs

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article
, Colin
Rosenstiel writes
There are 13824 three-letter groups available. 3176 (23%) contain
an X or a Z. That roughly matches my perception of their frequency;
have you done a census?

I thought it was more than that, hence my question.

The problem is that once you start looking, you tend to notice them
more. That's why I asked about a census.

FX: pause

I just did a very crude one while waiting at a bus stop at King's
Cross. 21 cars passed with series 3 index plates; 5 had X or Z.

IIRC they try to avoid combinations that are words, or sound/look
similar to a word, because they want to avoid rude ones and can sell the
rest. You will therefore have a higher proportion of consonants,
especially those like X and Z which are less likely to be part of a
recognisable acronym.
--
Richard J.

Terry Harper February 26th 04 09:07 PM

New Tax Discs

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message
In article ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
Have you noticed how high a proportion of the plates that have "X" or "Z"
(or both) in the three-letter group, presumably because the DVLA can't
sell most of them?

There are 13824 three-letter groups available. 3176 (23%) contain an X
or a Z. That roughly matches my perception of their frequency; have you
done a census?

This puzzled me at first, until I realised that there is a 1 in 24 chance of
getting a "Z" in each of one of the columns, which means a 1 in 8 chance of
getting a "Z" in one of the three columns.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
http://www.omnibussoc.org

Colin Rosenstiel February 27th 04 08:54 AM

New Tax Discs

In article ,
(Clive D. W. Feather) wrote:

In article
, Colin
Rosenstiel
There are 13824 three-letter groups available. 3176 (23%) contain an
X or a Z. That roughly matches my perception of their frequency; have
you done a census?

I thought it was more than that, hence my question.

The problem is that once you start looking, you tend to notice them
more. That's why I asked about a census.

FX: pause

I just did a very crude one while waiting at a bus stop at King's
Cross. 21 cars passed with series 3 index plates; 5 had X or Z.

I did a rather larger census while cycling from Putney to Westminster this
morning. I saw 154 cars with series 3 index plates; 50 had X or Z (32.5%).

--
Colin Rosenstiel