London Banter

-   -   Transport sights for a London day trip (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14092-transport-sights-london-day-trip.html)

Recliner[_3_] November 11th 14 10:18 AM

Transport sights for a London day trip

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 10:12:27 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 09:54:47 on Tue, 11
Nov 2014, d remarked:
But is it used anywhere as busy as Farringdon? SDO is fine for lightly

used stations, but not suitable for a station where a large percentage

of the train will be alighting (particularly once Crossrail opens).

Well there are certainly even more people alightning now they've all got to

schlep over to the circle line to continue their journeys to the City.

Previously having changed at Kings Cross Thameslink I suppose? Although
when I did the odd trip on that route I changed at Farringdon anyway (in
both directions), because of the narrow and congested platforms at KX-T.

I think Boltar was referring to people who had come on through
Thameslink trains from Luton, etc, and wanted to go to Moorgate. They
now have to change, where they once didn't need to.

Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] November 12th 14 12:54 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

In message ,
wrote:
Why did they close the station? Would it not have been better to
terminate and turn some trains there, while letting others continue on
to Stratford?

Not when one of the busiest parts of the line is through docklands.

They did keep it open at first until what Roland observes became apparent.

Huh? Last day of Jubilee service at Charing Cross was 1999-11-19. First
day of through service between the JLE and the Green Park to Stanmore
section was 1999-11-20. On no date were passenger trains scheduled to
run along both routes.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org

[email protected] November 12th 14 04:14 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

In article , (Clive D.
W. Feather) wrote:

In message ,
wrote:
Why did they close the station? Would it not have been better to
terminate and turn some trains there, while letting others continue on
to Stratford?

Not when one of the busiest parts of the line is through docklands.

They did keep it open at first until what Roland observes became

apparent.

Huh? Last day of Jubilee service at Charing Cross was 1999-11-19.
First day of through service between the JLE and the Green Park to
Stanmore section was 1999-11-20. On no date were passenger trains
scheduled to run along both routes.

Yes, sorry. They announced they would keep it in public service but then
changed their minds, just reversing empty trains terminated at Green Park.
Have they stopped doing even that?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Richard November 12th 14 10:21 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 11:14:09 -0600,
wrote:

[Jubilee at Charing X]
[...] They announced they would keep it in public service but then
changed their minds, just reversing empty trains terminated at Green Park.
Have they stopped doing even that?

There must be the odd "rusty rail" working into the platforms to keep
it available for filming (at least). I've never seen a train
terminate at Green Park s/b, perhaps at the end of service? There are
so many tph now on the main line that a trip to Charing Cross must be
by far the exception.

Someone will have the WTT.

Richard.

Basil Jet[_4_] November 12th 14 11:24 PM

On 2014\11\12 23:21, Richard wrote:
On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 11:14:09 -0600,
wrote:

[Jubilee at Charing X]
[...] They announced they would keep it in public service but then
changed their minds, just reversing empty trains terminated at Green Park.
Have they stopped doing even that?

There must be the odd "rusty rail" working into the platforms to keep
it available for filming (at least). I've never seen a train
terminate at Green Park s/b, perhaps at the end of service? There are
so many tph now on the main line that a trip to Charing Cross must be
by far the exception.

Someone will have the WTT.

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cm...8-may-2014.pdf

I can see no Charing Cross trains in either direction, any day.

[email protected] November 12th 14 11:34 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

In article ,
(Richard) wrote:

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 11:14:09 -0600,

wrote:

[Jubilee at Charing X]
[...] They announced they would keep it in public service but then
changed their minds, just reversing empty trains terminated at Green
Park. Have they stopped doing even that?

There must be the odd "rusty rail" working into the platforms to keep
it available for filming (at least). I've never seen a train
terminate at Green Park s/b, perhaps at the end of service? There are
so many tph now on the main line that a trip to Charing Cross must be
by far the exception.

Someone will have the WTT.

I just grabbed WTT 13. Charing Cross is in there, with distances and
intermediate running times but there are no timetabled moved to or from
Charing Cross in it.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Recliner[_3_] November 13th 14 12:56 AM

Transport sights for a London day trip

wrote:
In article ,
(Richard) wrote:

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 11:14:09 -0600,

wrote:

[Jubilee at Charing X]
[...] They announced they would keep it in public service but then
changed their minds, just reversing empty trains terminated at Green
Park. Have they stopped doing even that?

There must be the odd "rusty rail" working into the platforms to keep
it available for filming (at least). I've never seen a train
terminate at Green Park s/b, perhaps at the end of service? There are
so many tph now on the main line that a trip to Charing Cross must be
by far the exception.

Someone will have the WTT.

I just grabbed WTT 13. Charing Cross is in there, with distances and
intermediate running times but there are no timetabled moved to or from
Charing Cross in it.

What about on weekends when the JLE is shut for maintenance at, say,
Waterloo?

Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] November 13th 14 09:09 AM

wrote:
Huh? Last day of Jubilee service at Charing Cross was 1999-11-19.
First day of through service between the JLE and the Green Park to
Stanmore section was 1999-11-20. On no date were passenger trains
scheduled to run along both routes.

Yes, sorry. They announced they would keep it in public service but then
changed their minds, just reversing empty trains terminated at Green Park.
Have they stopped doing even that?

It's still used for that purpose, but trains only terminate at Green
Park eastbound if there's an issue, not in normal service.

[email protected] November 13th 14 10:28 AM

Transport sights for a London day trip

So many posts, so I won't add to the transport possiblities apart from the driverless DLR link to City Airport and through the canyons of Canary Wharf would be on my list of items to see.

On the nosh front has any suggested the Parcel Yard at Kings Cross. Fullers beefs and food although a tad expensive but really good. It's just above the platforms and they have a departure board inside the pub.