London Banter

-   -   Transport sights for a London day trip (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14092-transport-sights-london-day-trip.html)

[email protected] November 1st 14 09:24 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

I'm planning a day trip around London for some Cambridge students who may
not know it well. I'm trying to work out an itinerary for early December,
either Friday 5th or Saturday 6th. I've got an initial list of places or
feature to visit or pass through:

DLR
Overground, inc East London, Crystal Palace
Tramlink
Woolwich ferry
New Routemaster
Old Routemaster, H15 or H9

There's a specific reason for including Crystal Palace. Anyone see anything
or anywhere worthwhile I'm overlooking?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Basil Jet[_4_] November 1st 14 10:25 PM

On 2014\11\01 22:24, wrote:
I'm planning a day trip around London for some Cambridge students who may
not know it well. I'm trying to work out an itinerary for early December,
either Friday 5th or Saturday 6th. I've got an initial list of places or
feature to visit or pass through:

DLR
Overground, inc East London, Crystal Palace
Tramlink
Woolwich ferry
New Routemaster
Old Routemaster, H15 or H9

There's a specific reason for including Crystal Palace. Anyone see anything
or anywhere worthwhile I'm overlooking?

Are they transport enthusiasts?

Arthur Figgis November 1st 14 11:05 PM

On 01/11/2014 22:24, wrote:
I'm planning a day trip around London for some Cambridge students who may
not know it well. I'm trying to work out an itinerary for early December,
either Friday 5th or Saturday 6th. I've got an initial list of places or
feature to visit or pass through:

DLR
Overground, inc East London, Crystal Palace
Tramlink
Woolwich ferry
New Routemaster
Old Routemaster, H15 or H9

There's a specific reason for including Crystal Palace. Anyone see anything
or anywhere worthwhile I'm overlooking?

The Underground seems the glaring omission, unless that is deliberate or
taken as read.

Is this intended to be technical highlights, heritage, spotterish,
one-of-each-system or something else?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

[email protected] November 1st 14 11:48 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 17:24:57 -0500,

wrote:

I'm planning a day trip around London for some Cambridge students who may
not know it well. I'm trying to work out an itinerary for early December,
either Friday 5th or Saturday 6th. I've got an initial list of places or
feature to visit or pass through:

DLR
Overground, inc East London, Crystal Palace
Tramlink
Woolwich ferry
New Routemaster
Old Routemaster, H15 or H9

There's a specific reason for including Crystal Palace. Anyone see
anything or anywhere worthwhile I'm overlooking?

Not sure if your objective is "see the sights" or "see the transport
sights". I've included a mix of suggestions.

Definitely the latter. What I'm not entirely up on is what there is of
novelty or incipient heritage interest.

Might be worth stopping off to view Crossrail works - Canary Wharf or
Pudding Mill Lane for the new stations and / or portal construction
works. The latter allows them to also see the Olympic Park /
Stadium.

Thanks for mentioning that. I did think of Canary Wharf Crossrail station
site earlier but then we thought we might try to arrange a proper visit to
Crossrail works separately. However, passing either or both on the DLR route
should be easy enough.

You might want to show them the Shard, London Bridge station rebuild
and scoff your faces at Borough Market ;-)

Somewhere to eat lunchtime would be a good plan, I agree.

Double check engineering works for 6th Dec - you never know.

The original plan was for the 6th but the risk of engineering works made me
think of the alternative of the 5th, partly for that reason and also because
students will tend to be free on the 5th and going home for Christmas on the
6th.

Don't use the GOBLIN on the Friday in the PM rush hour. Your students
may not survive. ;-)

I did that once. Fun, isn't it! Luckily I got on earlier than many.

Consider avoiding anything near main shopping streets on the Saturday.
Shopping pressure and crowding starts to build in December.

I found Overground today pretty full southbound at Shepherd's Bush too.
Looked like early Christmas shopping at Westfield.

Then we made the mistake of arriving at Highbury and Islington just after
the end of the game. :-)

There is no Heritage 9 bus any more. Went a few months ago.

Thanks. I knew it was going but didn't realise it had already gone.

I assume you're One Day Travelcarding rather than Oyster or
Contactless Cards (the latter doesn't work on the 15H). I suspect that
will be the simpler option.

As we will be coming from Cambridge that would be the plan. Simplifies all
sorts of things though Saturdays are quite a bit cheaper.

If you are very, very lucky Arriva might have managed to get their two
new all electric single deckers into service at Croydon garage.
They've just been delivered and are due to run on the 312 service.
Alternatively there are the BYD all electric buses that run on the 507
or 521 (you will only see those on Friday - they can't come out at
weekends as Waterloo garage is shut then).

Another reason for looking at Friday was the thought that all sorts of
services might not run at weekends. That said, the main reason for including
a Boris bus was that they are so unique in all sorts of features so people
not living in London would find them of especial interest.

They're certainly going to see the sights (!) of London if you're
dragging them on the Woolwich Ferry (took me 30 years to have a ride
on it!) as well as on New Routemasters and to Croydon.

The Woolwich Ferry idea (we could use the foot tunnel) was also that it
might not last much longer! In the early 1970s I took convoluted routes to
Liberal Party Assemblies which included ferries and other services which no
longer run. Travelled to Tilbury Riverside and the ferry to Gravesend
(gone), to New Holland Pier and on the Humber Ferry (gone) and on the Mersey
Ferry and then on one of the few trains from Lime Street to Southport which
no longer run. We may have taken the Woolwich Ferry on the way to Brighton
in 1974 but none of us can remember any more. :-)

While not wishing to design your itinerary in detail it might be nice
to include some greenery or scenic contrasts along the way. A bus ride
across Blackheath and through the village might be nice.

One of the reasons for looking at DLR and Overground was the chance to
sightsee as well as grice. A problem will be limited daylight by early
December so some features worth visiting in the dark are also a
consideration.

I probably don't need to state the obvious but the Friday will mean an
encounter with the school run / bus overload event sometime in the
afternoon. I wouldn't want to be dragging students round on buses
while battling with the vast numbers of school kids using buses from
about 1430 onwards.

Yes, that is a point though it is also when the light will be failing. Also
a reason to concentrate on rail. If we are using Tramlink the "wall of
death" from Wimbledon to Sutton might be worth travelling on.

Have fun.

That's the plan. I suppose ending up at a west end pub for a meal might be
part of it too.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] November 1st 14 11:48 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

In article , (Basil Jet)
wrote:

On 2014\11\01 22:24,
wrote:
I'm planning a day trip around London for some Cambridge students who
may not know it well. I'm trying to work out an itinerary for early
December, either Friday 5th or Saturday 6th. I've got an initial list of
places or feature to visit or pass through:

DLR
Overground, inc East London, Crystal Palace
Tramlink
Woolwich ferry
New Routemaster
Old Routemaster, H15 or H9

There's a specific reason for including Crystal Palace. Anyone see
anything or anywhere worthwhile I'm overlooking?

Are they transport enthusiasts?

I think it would be fair to say that!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] November 1st 14 11:58 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

In article ,
lid (Arthur Figgis) wrote:

On 01/11/2014 22:24,
wrote:
I'm planning a day trip around London for some Cambridge students who
may not know it well. I'm trying to work out an itinerary for early
December, either Friday 5th or Saturday 6th. I've got an initial list of
places or feature to visit or pass through:

DLR
Overground, inc East London, Crystal Palace
Tramlink
Woolwich ferry
New Routemaster
Old Routemaster, H15 or H9

There's a specific reason for including Crystal Palace. Anyone see
anything
or anywhere worthwhile I'm overlooking?

The Underground seems the glaring omission, unless that is deliberate
or taken as read.

There are clear features to see, especially S Stock which is new (though
pretty similar to the Overground 378s in a number of respects). My problem
is working out places to go to take in some highlights. The JLE after dark
would be good for platform edge doors I suppose. There is The Drain but it's
not the working museum it once was these days. As we're arriving at King's
Cross we'll almost certainly use the Victoria Line on our way somewhere.

Is this intended to be technical highlights, heritage, spotterish,
one-of-each-system or something else?

A bit of everything more of interest to enthusiasts with a bit of
sightseeing thrown in as a fringe benefit I suppose. That said, we might
just have a free evening on the town after dark.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry November 2nd 14 08:21 AM

Transport sights for a London day trip

In message , at
00:05:10 on Sun, 2 Nov 2014, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
The Underground seems the glaring omission, unless that is deliberate
or taken as read.

If there's time it would be worth taking in Bank (for the original "Mind
the Gap" announcement, which could lead on to the DLR, Dangleway, and
then a JLE station with PEDs).

Roland Perry November 2nd 14 08:21 AM

Transport sights for a London day trip

In message , at 17:24:57
on Sat, 1 Nov 2014, remarked:
I'm planning a day trip around London for some Cambridge students who may
not know it well. I'm trying to work out an itinerary for early December,
either Friday 5th or Saturday 6th. I've got an initial list of places or
feature to visit or pass through:

DLR
Overground, inc East London, Crystal Palace
Tramlink
Woolwich ferry
New Routemaster
Old Routemaster, H15 or H9

There's a specific reason for including Crystal Palace. Anyone see anything
or anywhere worthwhile I'm overlooking?

As you seem to be in that neck of the woods already, how about trip on
the dangleway?

Robin[_4_] November 2nd 14 09:09 AM

Transport sights for a London day trip

Are they transport enthusiasts?

I think it would be fair to say that!

If heritage counts does "Overground, inc East London" admit Brunel's
tunnel if only en route to Crystal Palace (assuming there's no time for
the Brunel Museum)?
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

[email protected] November 2nd 14 12:33 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 19:48:16 -0500,

wrote:

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

Have fun.

That's the plan. I suppose ending up at a west end pub for a meal might
be part of it too.

On past experience I can recommend the Jugged Hare, a Fullers pub,
down Vauxhall Bridge Road from Victoria, by Rochester Row. Beer and
food both decent and they will reserve an area for you if you arrange
in advance.

Plenty of Boris Buses at Victoria plus you can show the students the
extent of the site works for the expansion of Victoria LU. You also
have a direct tube to KX to connect for Cambridge.

Thanks for those further suggestions. I'll try and report back on progress!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

tim..... November 2nd 14 12:55 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

wrote in message
In article , (Basil
Jet)
wrote:

On 2014\11\01 22:24,
wrote:
I'm planning a day trip around London for some Cambridge students who
may not know it well. I'm trying to work out an itinerary for early
December, either Friday 5th or Saturday 6th. I've got an initial list
of
places or feature to visit or pass through:

DLR
Overground, inc East London, Crystal Palace
Tramlink
Woolwich ferry
New Routemaster
Old Routemaster, H15 or H9

There's a specific reason for including Crystal Palace. Anyone see
anything or anywhere worthwhile I'm overlooking?

Are they transport enthusiasts?

I think it would be fair to say that!

And yet they are not able to work out an itinerary for themselves :-)

tim

--
Colin Rosenstiel

tim..... November 2nd 14 12:56 PM

wrote in message
I'm planning a day trip around London for some Cambridge students who may
not know it well. I'm trying to work out an itinerary for early December,
either Friday 5th or Saturday 6th. I've got an initial list of places or
feature to visit or pass through:

DLR
Overground, inc East London, Crystal Palace
Tramlink
Woolwich ferry
New Routemaster
Old Routemaster, H15 or H9

There's a specific reason for including Crystal Palace. Anyone see
anything
or anywhere worthwhile I'm overlooking?

you could add in a walk through one of the Thames "foot" tunnels

tim

[email protected] November 2nd 14 01:28 PM

In article , (Robin) wrote:

Are they transport enthusiasts?

I think it would be fair to say that!

If heritage counts does "Overground, inc East London" admit Brunel's
tunnel if only en route to Crystal Palace (assuming there's no time
for the Brunel Museum)?

Yes, the East London line was in my mind. There could be issues with the
number of river crossings needed and timing constraints.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] November 2nd 14 01:28 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
17:24:57 on Sat, 1 Nov 2014,
remarked:
I'm planning a day trip around London for some Cambridge students who may
not know it well. I'm trying to work out an itinerary for early December,
either Friday 5th or Saturday 6th. I've got an initial list of places or
feature to visit or pass through:

DLR
Overground, inc East London, Crystal Palace
Tramlink
Woolwich ferry
New Routemaster
Old Routemaster, H15 or H9

There's a specific reason for including Crystal Palace. Anyone see
anything or anywhere worthwhile I'm overlooking?

As you seem to be in that neck of the woods already, how about trip
on the dangleway?

A good idea but I think that would bring the number of East London crossings
of the river to 4!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] November 2nd 14 01:28 PM

wrote:

I'm planning a day trip around London for some Cambridge students who may
not know it well. I'm trying to work out an itinerary for early December,
either Friday 5th or Saturday 6th. I've got an initial list of places or
feature to visit or pass through:

DLR
Overground, inc East London, Crystal Palace
Tramlink
Woolwich ferry
New Routemaster
Old Routemaster, H15 or H9

There's a specific reason for including Crystal Palace. Anyone see
anything or anywhere worthwhile I'm overlooking?

The cable car branded as the Emirates air line?
If they are true transport Geeks then using the Millenium incline lift
on the approach to St Paul's may appeal as Londons shortest bit of
Railway if you happen to be close to it.

Oh? That's a new one to me and I've been around St Paul's more than once in
recent months.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Basil Jet[_4_] November 2nd 14 01:35 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

My favourite piece of London's transport is the hand-operated pedestrian
chain ferry to Trowlock Island in Trowlock Way, Teddington. It's about
the size of a single bed. It rocks like a double bed ;-)

Various Charles Holden stations, particularly Southgate at night.

The old passimeter in Arnos Grove.

The "See How They Run" dials in the foyer of 55 Broadway for the six
historic lines.

The silver tubes which stop big trains going into small tunnels at
Barons Court, Finchley Road.

Did they put humps for wheelchair access on certain platforms?

Those lovely escalators at Southwark station.

The Eurostar station at St Pancras and the former one at Waterloo.

The pantograph changeovers at Drayton Park and Mitre Bridge.

The views over the Thames on the District /NLL near Kew Gardens (IIRC
the Thames view is obscured on the Putney Bridge line)

The Bakerloo passes through a shed in both directions between Queens
Park and Kensal Green.

Behind the Marks and Spencers in Southgate you can see the Picc tunnel
entrances, and see how the entrance tunnel is much larger than the exit
one (the entrance is tapered to lessen the sonic boom from trains
entering the tunnel at speed.

The fake houses in Leinster Gardens.

The abandoned open-air platforms at Highgate Station.

The metal hooks for tying up boats set into the pavement of Surrey Canal
Road, revealing that the road is a former canal and the pavements are
unreconstructed tow-paths.

The bridge over Waterloo Road which used to carry the connection from
the South East Lines across the Waterloo concourse.

Deep level shelters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_deep-level_shelters

Escalator cavern at Westminster Station

The Underground entrances set into the corner of the Bank Of England,
and the air grilles hidden in the Greathead Statue in Cornhill. The
Greathead shield which forms part of the passageway to the W&C.
http://www.greathead.org/greathead2-o/JHG3.htm

Thames Tunnel and the Brunel Museum

Old station tiling at Arsenal station saying "Gillespie Road"

Stations with lifts, e.g. Russell Square or Covent Garden.

The old train indicators at Earls Court District Line

The big platforms at Euston and Angel

The tiny platforms at Clapham tube stations

Clank November 2nd 14 01:37 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

wrote:
In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 19:48:16 -0500,

wrote:

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

Have fun.

That's the plan. I suppose ending up at a west end pub for a meal might
be part of it too.

On past experience I can recommend the Jugged Hare, a Fullers pub,
down Vauxhall Bridge Road from Victoria, by Rochester Row. Beer and
food both decent and they will reserve an area for you if you arrange
in advance.

Plenty of Boris Buses at Victoria plus you can show the students the
extent of the site works for the expansion of Victoria LU. You also
have a direct tube to KX to connect for Cambridge.

Thanks for those further suggestions. I'll try and report back on progress!

The Jugged Hare used to be my local, so glad to hear it still has a good
reputation!

I was going to suggest Greenwich as a place with several decent pubs to get
a bite to eat in - and it would allow you to take in the Thames Clipper
river services as well (if transport not involving steel wheels is on the
agenda!) And a convenient interchange with the DLR, of course.

Clank November 2nd 14 01:39 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

Clank wrote:
wrote:
In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 19:48:16 -0500,

wrote:

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

[...]

(Of course, on re-reading I notice you have the Woolwich Ferry already on
your list, as well as buses, so ignore the steel wheels comment!)

[email protected] November 2nd 14 03:09 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

In article ,
(tim.....) wrote:

wrote in message
In article ,
(Basil
Jet) wrote:

On 2014\11\01 22:24,
wrote:
I'm planning a day trip around London for some Cambridge students who
may not know it well. I'm trying to work out an itinerary for early
December, either Friday 5th or Saturday 6th. I've got an initial list
of places or feature to visit or pass through:

DLR
Overground, inc East London, Crystal Palace
Tramlink
Woolwich ferry
New Routemaster
Old Routemaster, H15 or H9

There's a specific reason for including Crystal Palace. Anyone see
anything or anywhere worthwhile I'm overlooking?

Are they transport enthusiasts?

I think it would be fair to say that!

And yet they are not able to work out an itinerary for themselves :-)

The itinerary is the easier bit. It's ideas of what to include that we are
still trying to complete.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] November 2nd 14 03:09 PM

(tim.....) wrote:

wrote in message
I'm planning a day trip around London for some Cambridge students who
may not know it well. I'm trying to work out an itinerary for early
December, either Friday 5th or Saturday 6th. I've got an initial list of
places or feature to visit or pass through:

DLR
Overground, inc East London, Crystal Palace
Tramlink
Woolwich ferry
New Routemaster
Old Routemaster, H15 or H9

There's a specific reason for including Crystal Palace. Anyone see
anything
or anywhere worthwhile I'm overlooking?

you could add in a walk through one of the Thames "foot" tunnels

That was a possible alternative to the Woolwich Ferry although one could hop
off the DLR at Cutty Sark and re-embark at Island Gardens.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

David C[_2_] November 2nd 14 04:28 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 19:48:16 -0500,
wrote:

Much snipping........
The Woolwich Ferry idea (we could use the foot tunnel) was also that it
might not last much longer! In the early 1970s I took convoluted routes to
Liberal Party Assemblies which included ferries and other services which no
longer run. Travelled to Tilbury Riverside and the ferry to Gravesend
(gone), to New Holland Pier and on the Humber Ferry (gone) and on the Mersey
Ferry and then on one of the few trains from Lime Street to Southport which
no longer run. We may have taken the Woolwich Ferry on the way to Brighton
in 1974 but none of us can remember any more. :-)

IMVHO the Woolwich Ferry will be running for some time to come, & it's
quite convenient for foot passengers as well as cars.

As for the Tilbury Gravesend Ferry, it still runs every half hour from
Monday to Saturday.
Tilbury Riverside Staition is indeed long gone, (now the site of an
intermodal container terminal), but there is a connecting bus to the
Ferry Landing Stage from Tilbury town Station, route number 99
operated by Ensign Bus, & free to rail ticket holders.

HTH, DC

---

Robin[_4_] November 2nd 14 07:31 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

Yes, the East London line was in my mind.

Sorry, I should have acknowledged I was no doubt stating the bleeding
obvious.

Mizter T November 2nd 14 08:16 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

On 02/11/2014 13:56, tim..... wrote:
[...]
you could add in a walk through one of the Thames "foot" tunnels

tim

Why the quotation marks?

Michael R N Dolbear November 2nd 14 08:26 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

"Mizter T" wrote

On 02/11/2014 13:56, tim..... wrote:
[...]
you could add in a walk through one of the Thames "foot" tunnels

Why the quotation marks?

Cyclists ?

--
Mike D

Phil[_7_] November 2nd 14 08:41 PM

On 02/11/14 14:35, Basil Jet wrote:
Behind the Marks and Spencers in Southgate you can see the Picc tunnel
entrances, and see how the entrance tunnel is much larger than the exit
one (the entrance is tapered to lessen the sonic boom from trains
entering the tunnel at speed.

Wow! The Piccadilly Line must have got a lot faster since I was last there.
--
Phil
Liverpool, UK

Mizter T November 2nd 14 08:41 PM

On 02/11/2014 17:28, David C wrote:

On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 19:48:16 -0500,
wrote:

Much snipping........
The Woolwich Ferry idea (we could use the foot tunnel) was also that it
might not last much longer! In the early 1970s I took convoluted routes to
Liberal Party Assemblies which included ferries and other services which no
longer run. Travelled to Tilbury Riverside and the ferry to Gravesend
(gone), to New Holland Pier and on the Humber Ferry (gone) and on the Mersey
Ferry and then on one of the few trains from Lime Street to Southport which
no longer run. We may have taken the Woolwich Ferry on the way to Brighton
in 1974 but none of us can remember any more. :-)

IMVHO the Woolwich Ferry will be running for some time to come, & it's
quite convenient for foot passengers as well as cars.

*If* there's ever a bridge built in those parts (i.e. a Beckton -
Thamesmead bridge - what was the "Thames Gateway Bridge" project), then
the ferry would cease.

That's a big if though - the present focus for a new crossing is back on
the Greenwich Peninsula to Silvertown tunnel.

As for the Tilbury Gravesend Ferry, it still runs every half hour from
Monday to Saturday.
Tilbury Riverside Staition is indeed long gone, (now the site of an
intermodal container terminal), but there is a connecting bus to the
Ferry Landing Stage from Tilbury town Station, route number 99
operated by Ensign Bus, & free to rail ticket holders.

Indeed - dunno where Colin gets the idea that the Tilbury to Gravesend
ferry is no more!

Information from Thurrock council:
https://www.thurrock.gov.uk/ferry-services/tilbury-to-gravesend-ferry-service

Unfortunately the recently redesigned Kent County Council website seems
to suffer from amnesia with regards to the ferry, despite the fact that
the ferry is part funded by Kent CC! (It used to feature on the old Kent
CC website I'm sure.)

I *think* there might be some obscure Kent to Essex (and v.v.) rail
tickets routed via the ferry, albeit without the price of the crossing
included...?

Mizter T November 2nd 14 08:45 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

On 02/11/2014 21:26, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote
On 02/11/2014 13:56, tim..... wrote:
[...]
you could add in a walk through one of the Thames "foot" tunnels

Why the quotation marks?

Cyclists ?

The Greenwich tunnel is certainly a popular route with Canary Wharf
cycle commuters - actually getting on the bike isn't a done thing, but
'scooting' it a bit isn't entirely unknown.

Recliner[_3_] November 2nd 14 08:46 PM

wrote:
I'm planning a day trip around London for some Cambridge students who may
not know it well. I'm trying to work out an itinerary for early December,
either Friday 5th or Saturday 6th. I've got an initial list of places or
feature to visit or pass through:

DLR
Overground, inc East London, Crystal Palace
Tramlink
Woolwich ferry
New Routemaster
Old Routemaster, H15 or H9

There's a specific reason for including Crystal Palace. Anyone see anything
or anywhere worthwhile I'm overlooking?

Maybe looking a bit to the future, visit the Battersea Power station site,
soon to include the Northern Line extension? Or at least take a ride out of
Victoria, keeping an eye on it. The walk from Vauxhall is quite
interesting, watching the properties that will pay for the extension
shooting up.

The Thameslink route from St P (take a look at the new tunnels to the GN
from the platform) to Blackfriars (new southern entrance) or London Bridge
is interesting.

[email protected] November 2nd 14 09:06 PM

(David C) wrote:

IMVHO the Woolwich Ferry will be running for some time to come, & it's
quite convenient for foot passengers as well as cars.

I thought the latest new Thames Crossing plan would do for it.

As for the Tilbury Gravesend Ferry, it still runs every half hour from
Monday to Saturday.
Tilbury Riverside Staition is indeed long gone, (now the site of an
intermodal container terminal), but there is a connecting bus to the
Ferry Landing Stage from Tilbury town Station, route number 99
operated by Ensign Bus, & free to rail ticket holders.

HTH, DC

Exactly. It was Tilbury Riverside that went. I went there in 1960 too. Was
that before the end of steam I wonder?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] November 2nd 14 09:06 PM

In article , (Robin) wrote:

Yes, the East London line was in my mind.

Sorry, I should have acknowledged I was no doubt stating the bleeding
obvious.

I came here looking for new ideas so I can't really complain if I get
repeats of old ones with them!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Basil Jet[_4_] November 2nd 14 09:17 PM

http://www.1stforprint.co.uk/ebaylis...be_preview.jpg

Mizter T November 2nd 14 09:45 PM

On 02/11/2014 21:46, Recliner wrote:

wrote:
I'm planning a day trip around London for some Cambridge students [...]

Maybe looking a bit to the future, visit the Battersea Power station site,
soon to include the Northern Line extension? Or at least take a ride out of
Victoria, keeping an eye on it. The walk from Vauxhall is quite
interesting, watching the properties that will pay for the extension
shooting up.

Also thinking of the future, Victoria Coach Station might not be around
forever. Not sure how it compares historically, but it's pretty busy
these days.

And thinking of Battersea, there's the heliport (though that's
significantly further west).

David C[_2_] November 2nd 14 10:11 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

On Sun, 02 Nov 2014 16:06:26 -0600,
wrote:

In article ,

(David C) wrote:

IMVHO the Woolwich Ferry will be running for some time to come, & it's
quite convenient for foot passengers as well as cars.

I thought the latest new Thames Crossing plan would do for it.

As for the Tilbury Gravesend Ferry, it still runs every half hour from
Monday to Saturday.
Tilbury Riverside Staition is indeed long gone, (now the site of an
intermodal container terminal), but there is a connecting bus to the
Ferry Landing Stage from Tilbury town Station, route number 99
operated by Ensign Bus, & free to rail ticket holders.

HTH, DC

Exactly. It was Tilbury Riverside that went. I went there in 1960 too. Was
that before the end of steam I wonder?

LTS steam finished in 1962, with some mixed steam / electric
operations (using the steam timetables) in 1961.

There was also some diesel loco haulage on the LTS, using Brush type
2's from Straford & the old loco-hauled coaches.

Riverside hasn't been closed for that long, I have an unofficial
cab-ride VHS video from Upminster to Riverside & back in a 310 unit,
but I can't rember when it was taken!

DC

---

[email protected] November 2nd 14 11:00 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

In article

rg, (Recliner) wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Is there anything much to see there? I used to cycle along Battersea Park
Road between Wandsworth and Vauxhall and it was mostly hoardings on derelict
sites.

The Thameslink route from St P (take a look at the new tunnels to the GN
from the platform) to Blackfriars (new southern entrance) or London Bridge
is interesting.

Definitely not much to see there. I've done it.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Recliner[_3_] November 2nd 14 11:14 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

wrote:
In article

, (Recliner) wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Gleaming new buildings sprouting up everywhere, including the new US
embassy. It's interesting to do before and after trips: "before" now,
"after" in five years. I did the same with the Olympics site in Stratford,
and it's been fascinating watching the changes.

[email protected] November 2nd 14 11:38 PM

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

On 02/11/2014 17:28, David C wrote:

On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 19:48:16 -0500,

wrote:

Much snipping........
[...]

Ah! I've not been keeping up with proposals for new Thames crossings.

As for the Tilbury Gravesend Ferry, it still runs every half hour from
Monday to Saturday.
Tilbury Riverside Staition is indeed long gone, (now the site of an
intermodal container terminal), but there is a connecting bus to the
Ferry Landing Stage from Tilbury town Station, route number 99
operated by Ensign Bus, & free to rail ticket holders.

Indeed - dunno where Colin gets the idea that the Tilbury to
Gravesend ferry is no more!

Sorry. I jumped to a conclusion. My 1960s visits to Tilbury Riverside were
for Royal Mail Lines ships to South America which ceased long ago and the
advent of the freight terminal in place of the station made me assume the
ferry had gone too.

Information from Thurrock council:
https://www.thurrock.gov.uk/ferry-se...ravesend-ferry
-service

Unfortunately the recently redesigned Kent County Council website
seems to suffer from amnesia with regards to the ferry, despite the
fact that the ferry is part funded by Kent CC! (It used to feature on
the old Kent CC website I'm sure.)

I *think* there might be some obscure Kent to Essex (and v.v.) rail
tickets routed via the ferry, albeit without the price of the
crossing included...?

I have a feeling we had through tickets in 1972 via Ipswich, Romford and
Upminster which included the ferry but it's too long ago to be sure.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] November 2nd 14 11:38 PM

wrote:

My favourite piece of London's transport is the hand-operated
pedestrian chain ferry to Trowlock Island in Trowlock Way,
Teddington. It's about the size of a single bed. It rocks like a
double bed ;-)

Hmm. Maybe.

Various Charles Holden stations, particularly Southgate at night.

The old passimeter in Arnos Grove.

Maybe. The trouble with the far end of the Piccadilly line may be the travel
time to get there.

The "See How They Run" dials in the foyer of 55 Broadway for the six
historic lines.

Are they still there? I didn't see them when I worked in Westminster and
frequently used the station. I remember the old ones which also covered
trolleybuses.

The silver tubes which stop big trains going into small tunnels at
Barons Court, Finchley Road.

Could be hard to see from a moving train.

Did they put humps for wheelchair access on certain platforms?

Those lovely escalators at Southwark station.

I don't remember how they differ from others on the JLE. Canary Wharf is
pretty impressive.

The Eurostar station at St Pancras and the former one at Waterloo.

Difficult to see much when not travelling which I suspect quite a few on the
trip might have done.

The pantograph changeovers at Drayton Park and Mitre Bridge.

Also Farringdon. I couldn't see much at Mitre Bridge and that was when they
had to stop.

The views over the Thames on the District /NLL near Kew Gardens (IIRC
the Thames view is obscured on the Putney Bridge line)

All true. Went on the West London on Saturday.

The Bakerloo passes through a shed in both directions between Queens
Park and Kensal Green.

True. Quite a lot of railway installations to see round there too, e.g. from
the West London.

Behind the Marks and Spencers in Southgate you can see the Picc
tunnel entrances, and see how the entrance tunnel is much larger than
the exit one (the entrance is tapered to lessen the sonic boom from
trains entering the tunnel at speed.

The fake houses in Leinster Gardens.

The abandoned open-air platforms at Highgate Station.

Good ones.

The metal hooks for tying up boats set into the pavement of Surrey
Canal Road, revealing that the road is a former canal and the
pavements are unreconstructed tow-paths.

O! Never seen that on many East London visits.

The bridge over Waterloo Road which used to carry the connection from
the South East Lines across the Waterloo concourse.

I know that. There's not a great deal to see apart from the view from the
road. A good pub next to it though.

Deep level shelters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_deep-level_shelters

I didn't think there was much to see of them without a proper visit?

Escalator cavern at Westminster Station

Worth trying to interchange at, I agree.

The Underground entrances set into the corner of the Bank Of England,
and the air grilles hidden in the Greathead Statue in Cornhill. The
Greathead shield which forms part of the passageway to the W&C.
http://www.greathead.org/greathead2-o/JHG3.htm

Thames Tunnel and the Brunel Museum

Old station tiling at Arsenal station saying "Gillespie Road"

And similar at a number of stations.

Stations with lifts, e.g. Russell Square or Covent Garden.

The old train indicators at Earls Court District Line

They are unique now, aren't they? South Ken had similar I'm sure.

The big platforms at Euston and Angel

The tiny platforms at Clapham tube stations

More to look at. Thanks for all. I could add a number more from my travels.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] November 2nd 14 11:38 PM

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

Also thinking of the future, Victoria Coach Station might not be
around forever. Not sure how it compares historically, but it's
pretty busy these days.

Hmm. I'll put it on the list.

And thinking of Battersea, there's the heliport (though that's
significantly further west).

That's fairly hidden away nowadays, isn't it? Gone are the signs on York Rd
IIRC.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Recliner[_3_] November 2nd 14 11:50 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

wrote:
In article , (Basil Jet)
wrote:

The pantograph changeovers at Drayton Park and Mitre Bridge.

Also Farringdon. I couldn't see much at Mitre Bridge and that was when they
had to stop.

You might wait a very long time to see a pan going up or down at
Farringdon. The changeover now happens at City Thameslink. But Farringdon
remains an interesting station in transition (remember, in 1863 it was the
City terminus of the world's first underground railway, and will soon be
one of the world's busiest underground and interchange stations).

[email protected] November 2nd 14 11:56 PM

Transport sights for a London day trip

In article

rg, (Recliner) wrote:

wrote:
In article ,

(Basil Jet) wrote:

The pantograph changeovers at Drayton Park and Mitre Bridge.

Also Farringdon. I couldn't see much at Mitre Bridge and that was
when they had to stop.

You might wait a very long time to see a pan going up or down at
Farringdon. The changeover now happens at City Thameslink.

When did that change? I thought I'd seen pan raising there since the
platform extensions. Last time I remember was the last day of the A stock,
September 2013?

But Farringdon remains an interesting station in transition (remember,
in 1863 it was the City terminus of the world's first underground
railway, and will soon be one of the world's busiest underground and
interchange stations).

It doesn't have much to chow of that history these days IME.

--
Colin Rosenstiel