London Banter

-   -   Why People Won't Use Public Transport in London (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1412-why-people-wont-use-public.html)

CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North February 10th 04 02:36 PM

Why People Won't Use Public Transport in London

For a long story not worth going into I am currently trying to prove
for a client the benefits of using a private car/taxi over public
transport. I am intrested in anyone who lives in London (or any other
major city/Town in the UK or rest of the world) who has access to good
public transport such as buses, trams, trains, underground, other LTR
but still drives to their place of work. Any views, opionions outright
rants agasint public transport inculding the obvious overcrowding,
dirty trains, expense would be appericated.
Unfortunely spamming and a general distrust agasint anyone asking for
personal details on the internet stops me for being e-mailed directly.
So just post here. Although if you really are anti-public transport I
would like to hear from you and will give you an accessible e-mail
address.

Ben Nunn February 10th 04 04:44 PM

Why People Won't Use Public Transport in London

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was CJG Now Thankfully Living In The
North ), in message
who said:
For a long story not worth going into I am currently trying to prove
for a client the benefits of using a private car/taxi over public
transport. I am intrested in anyone who lives in London (or any other
major city/Town in the UK or rest of the world) who has access to good
public transport such as buses, trams, trains, underground, other LTR
but still drives to their place of work. Any views, opionions outright
rants agasint public transport inculding the obvious overcrowding,
dirty trains, expense would be appericated.
Unfortunely spamming and a general distrust agasint anyone asking for
personal details on the internet stops me for being e-mailed directly.
So just post here. Although if you really are anti-public transport I
would like to hear from you and will give you an accessible e-mail
address.

I use public transport, but the practicalities thereof are still
fundamentally flawed.

If you're five minutes late setting out in your car, you're five minutes
late, but if you're five minutes late catching a train, you can miss
connections, which in turn might mean you miss other connections, and your
journey schedule can be ****ed completely.

Public transport only goes from A to B, which is great if you start your
journey very close to a station and your destination is also very close to a
station on the same route. In reality, most of us want to go from one very
specific place to another, which is only possible with private transport, as
we're going from and to different places to each other.

There is no solution - no amount of improvements to services or
infrastructure will address the problem that public transport networks do
not cater adequately for individual composite journeys, and until technology
moves on to the next level - e.g. teleportation, personal flight etc. - the
car is very much here to stay.

BTN

Matt Ashby February 10th 04 10:02 PM

Why People Won't Use Public Transport in London

For a long story not worth going into I am currently trying to
prove for a client the benefits of using a private car/taxi over
public transport. I am intrested in anyone who lives in London
(or any other major city/Town in the UK or rest of the world)
who has access to good public transport such as buses,
trams, trains, underground, other LTR but still drives to their
place of work.

3 million people use the Tube every day (plus 155,000 on
the DLR). 5.4 million people a day use the buses. If you find
anyone who uses a car despite having access to public
transport, you've found a) someone in the minority and b)
someone who likes sitting in traffic jams behind delivery
trucks and transit vans.

WHY would you want to convince someone that being in a
car is better than being on public transport, when it's slower,
causes more problems for other people and does more
damage to the environment?

Matt Ashby

www.fornogoodreason.org.uk

Proctor46 February 10th 04 10:34 PM

Why People Won't Use Public Transport in London

WHY would you want to convince someone that being in a
car is better than being on public transport, when it's slower,
causes more problems for other people and does more
damage to the environment?

Matt Ashby I...er...think

it might be ...er.......... about making money.....shall we tell the poster to
buy (get on)his bike?

Andrew P Smith February 10th 04 10:45 PM

Why People Won't Use Public Transport in London

In article , Matt Ashby
writes

3 million people use the Tube every day (plus 155,000 on
the DLR). 5.4 million people a day use the buses. If you find
anyone who uses a car despite having access to public
transport, you've found a) someone in the minority and b)
someone who likes sitting in traffic jams behind delivery
trucks and transit vans.

WHY would you want to convince someone that being in a
car is better than being on public transport, when it's slower,
causes more problems for other people and does more
damage to the environment?

So Matt

Can you please explain how I can travel on public transport with 150kg
of demo kit in 6 flight cases along with associated literature, cable
sets etc.

When I can use the tube I do, but with all that lot it's just not
possible.
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this

CJC February 10th 04 10:51 PM

who said:
For a long story not worth going into I am currently trying to prove
for a client the benefits of using a private car/taxi over public
transport. I am intrested in anyone who lives in London (or any other
major city/Town in the UK or rest of the world) who has access to good
public transport such as buses, trams, trains, underground, other LTR
but still drives to their place of work. Any views, opionions outright
rants agasint public transport inculding the obvious overcrowding,
dirty trains, expense would be appericated.
Unfortunely spamming and a general distrust agasint anyone asking for
personal details on the internet stops me for being e-mailed directly.
So just post here. Although if you really are anti-public transport I
would like to hear from you and will give you an accessible e-mail
address.

Is it by any chance a car company this is for? :D:D

The fact that you dictate your means of private transport is a large
bonus in this case, you choose what car and what way you go to an
extent. The facility of the car is a very strong arguement over public
transport, you can be on the way straight from your house and
vice-versa. Also cars carry a lot more than is humanly possible on
public transport making shopping easier. In certain conurbations the
road system has been designed for the car and it is easier than using
public transport to get around these places, Birmingham springs to
mind. In rural areas a car is a must, no public transport or very
little.

Cast_Iron February 11th 04 12:07 AM

Why People Won't Use Public Transport in London

Andrew P Smith wrote:
In article , Matt
Ashby writes

3 million people use the Tube every day (plus 155,000 on
the DLR). 5.4 million people a day use the buses. If you find
anyone who uses a car despite having access to public
transport, you've found a) someone in the minority and b)
someone who likes sitting in traffic jams behind delivery
trucks and transit vans.

WHY would you want to convince someone that being in a
car is better than being on public transport, when it's slower,
causes more problems for other people and does more
damage to the environment?

So Matt

Can you please explain how I can travel on public transport with 150kg
of demo kit in 6 flight cases along with associated literature, cable
sets etc.

When I can use the tube I do, but with all that lot it's just not
possible.

Did anyone suggest you should carry that lot on the underground?

John Rowland February 11th 04 02:28 AM

"Ben Nunn" wrote in message

If you're five minutes late setting out in your car,
you're five minutes late, but if you're five minutes
late catching a train, you can miss connections,
which in turn might mean you miss other connections,
and your journey schedule can be ****ed completely.

Depending on the time of day, this can happen in a car as well. I have heard
many car drivers say that if they leave their house five minutes later,
their journey takes half an hour longer.

I have the reverse problem... I have to get somewhere at approx 10:30 every
Friday, and no matter what time I leave the house (by car) I get there at
about the same time. This is because a bus lane alongside the main traffic
jam deactivates at 10 am, so no matter where I am in the traffic jam at 9:59
I can be at the front of it at 10:01, because all the other drivers just
remain in the traffic jam. (Admittedly my radio-controlled watch gives me an
advantage over most of them.)

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Andrew P Smith February 11th 04 07:01 AM

Why People Won't Use Public Transport in London

In article , Cast_Iron
writes
Andrew P Smith wrote:
In article , Matt
Ashby writes

[...]

The suggestion was anti car, I can't do my job without my car (or a
small van etc).

Cast_Iron February 11th 04 09:04 AM

Why People Won't Use Public Transport in London

Andrew P Smith wrote:
In article , Cast_Iron
writes

Did anyone suggest you should carry that lot on the underground?

The suggestion was anti car, I can't do my job without my car (or a
small van etc).

My reading of it was to question why someone would want to sit in an endless
traffic jam if they don't need to. Carrying large quantities of equipment
obviously limits one's choices. That is not anti-car, merely pro public
transport and if more people not carrying large quantiites of equipment were
to use public transport it would leave the roads clearer for people such as
you who do have a demonstrable need..