London Banter

-   -   The short sloping "railway" by the Millennium Bridge (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14121-short-sloping-railway-millennium-bridge.html)

Basil Jet[_4_] November 17th 14 02:48 PM

The short sloping "railway" by the Millennium Bridge

.... was out of order yesterday on my first attempt to use it after
finding out about it in this forum. Are sloping lifts less reliable than
vertical ones? I can't see why a vertical lift wasn't used in the
location in question, perhaps they were just showing off, but that isn;t
much use unless the thing works.

If the technology was reliable, it could perhaps be incorporated into
the central stairway of some elevator shafts.

David Walters November 17th 14 04:01 PM

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 15:48:11 +0000, Basil Jet wrote:

... was out of order yesterday on my first attempt to use it after
finding out about it in this forum. Are sloping lifts less reliable than
vertical ones? I can't see why a vertical lift wasn't used in the
location in question, perhaps they were just showing off, but that isn;t
much use unless the thing works.

If the technology was reliable, it could perhaps be incorporated into
the central stairway of some elevator shafts.

An incline lift is being installed at Greenford Station.
http://www.transportforall.org.uk/ne...-incline-lift-

Michael R N Dolbear November 17th 14 04:16 PM

The short sloping "railway" by the Millennium Bridge

"David Walters" wrote

An incline lift is being installed at Greenford Station.

http://www.transportforall.org.uk/ne...-incline-lift-

http://www.transportforall.org.uk/ne...-incline-lift-

the final '-' is needed - I got "

Sorry

There is no content for this section yet.

on my first click so went via Google

==
Research by Ealing Council shows that installing incline lifts are a cost
effective solution for making inaccessible stations step-free. TfL initially
estimated a cost of £10m to install a traditional vertical lift at Greenford
station. The incline lift makes a huge saving as it only costs £2.2m with a
proposed £200,000 contribution from Ealing Council.
==

--
Mike D

Mizter T November 19th 14 11:11 PM

On 17/11/2014 15:48, Basil Jet wrote:

... was out of order yesterday on my first attempt to use it after
finding out about it in this forum. Are sloping lifts less reliable than
vertical ones? I can't see why a vertical lift wasn't used in the
location in question, perhaps they were just showing off, but that isn;t
much use unless the thing works.

If the technology was reliable, it could perhaps be incorporated into
the central stairway of some elevator shafts.

The Millennium Bridge Inclinator certainly seems to have had more than
it's fair share of troubles (unless of course having lots of troubles is
the fair share that an inclined lift gets). It was out of action for
ages until perhaps a couple of years ago (bit hazy on the timeline).

Basil Jet[_4_] November 20th 14 12:46 AM

The short sloping "railway" by the Millennium Bridge

On 2014\11\20 01:28, wrote:
On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 00:11:16 +0000, Mizter T
wrote:

The Millennium Bridge Inclinator certainly seems to have had more than
it's fair share of troubles (unless of course having lots of troubles is
the fair share that an inclined lift gets). It was out of action for
ages until perhaps a couple of years ago (bit hazy on the timeline).

Didn't it get a complete rebuild because it would have been
embarrassing for it not to be working for the Olympics or more
vitally the Paralympics. Without those events it may have been left
broken.

Perhaps it would have been cheaper to employ a couple of rickshaw
wallahs for the duration of the Paralympics. Do we know if anyone
actually used the lift during the Paralympics?