London Banter

-   -   HEX Ripoff .... (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14131-hex-ripoff.html)

CJB November 28th 14 11:41 AM

HEX Ripoff ....

More expensive per mile than Concorde was ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...ht-MALAGA.html

Roland Perry November 28th 14 01:42 PM

HEX Ripoff ....

In message , at
04:41:31 on Fri, 28 Nov 2014, CJB remarked:
More expensive per mile than Concorde was ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...ess-tops-list-
tickets-cost-return-flight-MALAGA.html

I think you'll find a taxi is even more expensive.

eastender[_4_] November 28th 14 05:15 PM

HEX Ripoff ....

On 2014-11-28 12:41:31 +0000, CJB said:

More expensive per mile than Concorde was ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...ht-MALAGA.html

It's not even much faster if you're going to/from say Dalston where I
am - the Piccadilly is only about 15 mins longer and the changes are
easier.

E.

tim..... November 28th 14 06:13 PM

HEX Ripoff ....

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at
04:41:31 on Fri, 28 Nov 2014, CJB remarked:
More expensive per mile than Concorde was ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...ess-tops-list-
tickets-cost-return-flight-MALAGA.html

I think you'll find a taxi is even more expensive.

and I think they meant the "EU" as Oslo is even more expensive

tim

eastender[_4_] November 28th 14 06:32 PM

HEX Ripoff ....

On 2014-11-28 19:13:55 +0000, tim..... said:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at
04:41:31 on Fri, 28 Nov 2014, CJB remarked:
More expensive per mile than Concorde was ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...ess-tops-list-

tickets-cost-return-flight-MALAGA.html

I think you'll find a taxi is even more expensive.

and I think they meant the "EU" as Oslo is even more expensive

Arlanda (Stockholm) is about £22 one way, a pound more than HEX. I've
forked out for this a few times.

E.

Robin9 November 29th 14 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roland Perry (Post 145904)
In message , at
04:41:31 on Fri, 28 Nov 2014, CJB
remarked:
More expensive per mile than Concorde was ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...ess-tops-list-
tickets-cost-return-flight-MALAGA.html

I think you'll find a taxi is even more expensive.

If you're travelling alone. If you share the taxi - and the cost- with other
people, the cost per person is quite reasonable for the door-to-door
convenience.

I'm always surprised when I see entire families travelling to and from airports
by public transport.

Roland Perry November 29th 14 08:34 AM

HEX Ripoff ....

In message , at 18:15:22 on Fri,
28 Nov 2014, eastender remarked:
More expensive per mile than Concorde was ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...1805/London-fo
ur-five-expensive-airport-transfers-Europe-Heathrow-Express-tops-list-t
ickets-cost-return-flight-MALAGA.html

It's not even much faster if you're going to/from say Dalston where I
am - the Piccadilly is only about 15 mins longer and the changes are
easier.

Such a shame, then, that everyone is forced to use HEx, and no
passengers are allowed to use other ways of getting to the airport.

Recliner[_3_] November 29th 14 08:49 AM

HEX Ripoff ....

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 18:15:22 on Fri,
28 Nov 2014, eastender remarked:
More expensive per mile than Concorde was ...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...1805/London-fo
ur-five-expensive-airport-transfers-Europe-Heathrow-Express-tops-list-t
ickets-cost-return-flight-MALAGA.html

It's not even much faster if you're going to/from say Dalston where I
am - the Piccadilly is only about 15 mins longer and the changes are easier.

Such a shame, then, that everyone is forced to use HEx, and no passengers
are allowed to use other ways of getting to the airport.

I wonder if someone has figures for HEx, HC and Picc loading from Heathrow.
HEx has 4tph, HC has 2tph and the PIcc has at least 12tph in the peaks.

Roland Perry November 29th 14 09:32 AM

HEX Ripoff ....

In message , at 09:46:45 on Sat, 29
Nov 2014, Robin9 remarked:

Roland Perry;145904 Wrote:
In message , at
04:41:31 on Fri, 28 Nov 2014, CJB
remarked:-
More expensive per mile than Concorde was ...

http://tinyurl.com/kt2kplh
tickets-cost-return-flight-MALAGA.html-

I think you'll find a taxi is even more expensive.

If you're travelling alone. If you share the taxi - and the cost- with
other people, the cost per person is quite reasonable for the
door-to-door convenience.

A taxi can also be cheaper than a week's parking at many airports.

I'm always surprised when I see entire families travelling to and from
airports by public transport.

Force of habit, perhaps.

Neil Williams November 29th 14 10:09 AM

HEX Ripoff ....

On 2014-11-29 08:46:45 +0000, Robin9 said:

I'm always surprised when I see entire families travelling to and from
airports
by public transport.

There are other reasons - for instance, in some areas taxi drivers are
very unreliable, drive dangerously or both. If you make the comparison
with a premium airport car service instead, sometimes the balance may
well tip in favour of public transport, particularly coach or if Family
Railcards are applicable.

Neil
--
Neil Williams