Old December 6th 14, 05:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Overground - hopeless

On 06.12.14 10:37, Robin wrote:
I've given up using the overground from highbury - its just a totally
inadequate service.

As it's my local line I find that a wee bit hyperbolic It is
undeniably overloaded much of the time but I rarely fail to get on and
I'm a FOG.

And did anyone predict the growth in traffic at the time of decisions on
the NLL and ELL? I certainly don't seem to recall anyone forecasting eg
14 per cent growth in London's population in the noughties, let alone
the nature and location of that growth. And while it is just my
impression, that growth accounts for a sizeable fraction of passengers
at Highbury and Islington.

I wonder why they have not yet introduced five-car operation,
considering the passenger volumes, even though they have not finished
making such adjustments at all stations. Could they not lock out the
doors in the fifth car at stations were five-car operation is not yet
available, requiring passengers to move forward?

My guess is that doing this would kill dwell times, and that it is all
the doors are on the 378s are in one zone.

Old December 6th 14, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On Fri, 05 Dec 2014 23:33:21 +0000

I don't care - this used to be a tube line

The stretch from Highbury & Islington to Hoxton and then Broad Street was,
ISTR, *main line*.

The ELL was one of the few parts of the London Underground that was
originally designed and built as a main line. When run as part of LU
Shoreditch only got a service during peak hours and on Sunday mornings. I
believe they ran the whole thing with just 6 x 4-car sets, so I would have
thought it was a fraction of the service level and passenger capacity the
route now has.

--
DAS

Old December 6th 14, 06:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014-12-06 17:54:06 +0000, d said:

On Sat, 6 Dec 2014 10:37:11 -0000
"Robin" wrote:
I've given up using the overground from highbury - its just a totally
inadequate service.

As it's my local line I find that a wee bit hyperbolic It is
undeniably overloaded much of the time but I rarely fail to get on and
I'm a FOG.

I haven't yet failed to get on. But I've never yet got a seat and there was
always a delay and its always crush loading at highbury. The journey is
potentially more pleasent than using the tube but I just can't put up with the
**** poor service anymore.

It's hardly a poor service from Dalston, which is my local station,
especially if you're going south. And I use the Highbury service quite
often to get to the Victoria line - and really the frequency is very
good for an overground train. As for overcrowding, try getting on the
Victoria at Highbury going south in the morning rushhour.

And did anyone predict the growth in traffic at the time of decisions on
the NLL and ELL? I certainly don't seem to recall anyone forecasting eg

It should have been pretty obvious I would have thought - a major interchange
like highbury with a new service that provides a short cut to the City and
canary wharf.

Of course projections were made. Do you think we'd be better off
without the line?

14 per cent growth in London's population in the noughties, let alone
the nature and location of that growth. And while it is just my
impression, that growth accounts for a sizeable fraction of passengers
at Highbury and Islington.

Quite possibly. Frankly I'm sick of hearing foreign languages all the damn time
everywhere in this city but thats another discussion.

Why don't you move to Clacton or somewhere you can have a UKIP MP as
their areas have some of the lowest numbers of nasty foreigners. You'll
be much happier.

E.

Old December 6th 14, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:14:35 on Sat, 6 Dec 2014,
" remarked:
I wonder why they have not yet introduced five-car operation,
considering the passenger volumes, even though they have not finished
making such adjustments at all stations. Could they not lock out the
doors in the fifth car at stations were five-car operation is not yet
available, requiring passengers to move forward?

The new trains on whatever the Hammersmith and City is called this week
do that at stations which aren't long enough (and neither have a
realistic expectation of being extended).
Old December 6th 14, 07:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014-12-06 18:02:01 +0000, Robin said:

I don't care - this used to be a tube line and we were promised a tube
style service. Using main line type stock on the ELL was an idiotic
decision.

I well recall the promise of a tube-style service of 12 tph for the ELL
and ISTM that's what we have. I don't recall a promise of tube-style
service for the ELL extension but, as is apparent, I am not an
enthusiast, merely a long-time user. Can you please help me with who
made the promise when?

He's being an idiot. Much of the service is on overground (with a small
o) lines and shared with other services.

E.

Old December 6th 14, 08:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

" wrote:
On 06.12.14 10:37, Robin wrote:
[...]

They have. The first five-car 378 was recently put into service, and
they'll all b extended in due course.
Old December 6th 14, 08:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2014-12-06 21:01:05 +0000, Recliner said:

They have. The first five-car 378 was recently put into service, and
they'll all b extended in due course.

Here's some pics from someone I know locally.

https://anonw.wordpress.com/2014/12/...lass-378-train

E.

Old December 6th 14, 11:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06.12.14 19:39, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 18:14:35 on Sat, 6 Dec 2014,
" remarked:
I wonder why they have not yet introduced five-car operation,
considering the passenger volumes, even though they have not finished
making such adjustments at all stations. Could they not lock out the
doors in the fifth car at stations were five-car operation is not yet
available, requiring passengers to move forward?

The new trains on whatever the Hammersmith and City is called this week
do that at stations which aren't long enough (and neither have a
realistic expectation of being extended).

All S-series trains cut out their end doors at certain stations.
Old December 6th 14, 11:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06.12.14 21:01, Recliner wrote:
" wrote:
On 06.12.14 10:37, Robin wrote:
[...]

That's on ELL, which they built and rebuilt for five-car operation, is
it it not? What about NLL?
Old December 7th 14, 12:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

" wrote:
On 06.12.14 10:37, Robin wrote:
[...]

Why the big deal about 5-car trains on the ELL? They had 5-car CP stock
trains over 40 years ago.

--
Colin Rosenstiel