London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old February 11th 04, 12:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 32
Default Gatwick Express/Gold Card/Gatwick ticket machines

Late on Saturday night, I had to get back from Gatwick Airport to
London. I bought my ticket from the machine in the station concourse
by credit card: it gave me the option of various travelcard discounts
(but not LT Gold Card, the one I have), so I chose Network Card as the
nearest equivalent and carried on.

The ticket issued showed Network Card and Gatwick Express.

On the train, the inspector took the ticket and said "You can't use
Network Card on this service, sir", showing me the Network Card bit on
the ticket but covering up the Gatwick Express bit with his thumb. I
pointed out that if he moved his thumb, it clearly said I could. (He
didn't seem to care that I was showing him the Gold Card at the time,
so I guess that bit was all right).

"The machine shouldn't have issued that" he said, very grumpily and
scribbling all over the thing with his biro. "Can I keep this to show
my manager?"

So, what's going on there? If he hadn't tried to cover up the Gatwick
Express bit with his thumb, I'dve believed that he was surprised by
the thing, but clearly he's seen this plenty of times before and is
used to bluffing it out.

Veddy odd.

R


  #2   Report Post  
Old February 11th 04, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 329
Default Gatwick Express/Gold Card/Gatwick ticket machines

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:18:23 GMT, Rupert Goodwins
wrote:

Late on Saturday night, I had to get back from Gatwick Airport to
London. I bought my ticket from the machine in the station concourse
by credit card: it gave me the option of various travelcard discounts
(but not LT Gold Card, the one I have), so I chose Network Card as the
nearest equivalent and carried on.

The ticket issued showed Network Card and Gatwick Express.


rest snipped

So, what's going on there? If he hadn't tried to cover up the Gatwick
Express bit with his thumb, I'dve believed that he was surprised by
the thing, but clearly he's seen this plenty of times before and is
used to bluffing it out.

From railcard.co.uk (and also mentioned in the Network Railcard
leaflet):

Your Network Railcard cannot be used for travel in First Class, on
Railair Links, on Gatwick Express, Anglia Railways mainline trains
starting and terminating in London Liverpool Street station, Eurostar,
Heathrow Express, special excursions or charters, to buy season tickets
or period Travelcards or in conjunction with some Train Company special
offers

And from the TfL Fares and Tickets leaflet:

The train companies* participating in the annual Travelcard (Gold
Card)/Network Railcard scheme a c2c Rail, Chiltern Railways, First
Great Eastern, Great North Eastern Railway, First Great Western Trains,
Island Line, Midland Mainline, Silverlink Trains, South Central, South
Eastern Trains, South West Trains, Thameslink, Thames Trains, Virgin
Trains, Wales and Borders Trains, Wessex Trains, West Anglia Great
Northern Railway.

So in this case, the Ticket Inspector was correct and the machine has
been programmed incorrectly I'm afraid. Not that it really matters,
however, as South Central have a half hourly service calling at East
Croydon and Clapham Junction, which is timetabled to take 35 minutes
against 30 minutes, and at a lower fare than Gatwick Express.

HTH,

Barry

--
Barry Salter, barry at southie dot me dot uk
Read uk.* newsgroups? Read uk.net.news.announce!

DISCLAIMER: The above comments do not necessarily represent the
views of my employers.
  #3   Report Post  
Old February 11th 04, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,983
Default Gatwick Express/Gold Card/Gatwick ticket machines

In message , Rupert Goodwins
writes
On the train, the inspector took the ticket and said "You can't use
Network Card on this service, sir",


FWIW, my Network Card leaflet shows Gatwick Express as excluded. (Along
with HEx, Anglia fasts and CT Stansted to Ely (although this latter is
probably now allowed due to a recent rule-change).

My own gripe with Gatwick is that it's apparently impossible to buy a
"Any permitted" single to London [1]. Although if you buy a through
ticket to (say) Cambridge then the Gatwick to London section *is* "any
permitted". Go figure, as they say.

[1] And so you have to guess whose train will be next in. Or is this a
cunning plot to get people to use Gatwick Express and buy a ticket on
the train. Remind, me, who operates Gatwick??
--
Roland Perry
  #4   Report Post  
Old February 11th 04, 07:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 166
Default Gatwick Express/Gold Card/Gatwick ticket machines

Roland Perry wrote:

My own gripe with Gatwick is that it's apparently impossible to buy a
"Any permitted" single to London [1]. Although if you buy a through
ticket to (say) Cambridge then the Gatwick to London section *is* "any
permitted". Go figure, as they say.

[1] And so you have to guess whose train will be next in. Or is this a
cunning plot to get people to use Gatwick Express and buy a ticket on
the train. Remind, me, who operates Gatwick??


http://www.livedepartureboards.co.uk...ary.aspx?T=GTW

Network Rail. :-)

GEX itself is owned by BAA, is it not?
--
James Farrar |
London, SE23 |
  #5   Report Post  
Old February 11th 04, 08:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,983
Default Gatwick Express/Gold Card/Gatwick ticket machines

In message , James Farrar
writes
Remind, me, who operates Gatwick??


http://www.livedepartureboards.co.uk...ary.aspx?T=GTW

Network Rail. :-)


Well, the logos at the ticket office say Gatwick Express.

GEX itself is owned by BAA, is it not?


National Express was the original franchisee for the period 1996-2011.
Has it changed hands - I don't think so.

http://www.nationalexpressgroup.com/...hise030496.htm
--
Roland Perry


  #6   Report Post  
Old February 11th 04, 08:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 166
Default Gatwick Express/Gold Card/Gatwick ticket machines

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , James Farrar
writes

Remind, me, who operates Gatwick??



http://www.livedepartureboards.co.uk...ary.aspx?T=GTW

Network Rail. :-)



Well, the logos at the ticket office say Gatwick Express.


In which case, they're out of date.
http://www.networkrailstations.co.uk/index.cfm lists Gatwick Airport
station as an NR Major Station. ISTR they took it over relatively recently.

GEX itself is owned by BAA, is it not?



National Express was the original franchisee for the period 1996-2011.
Has it changed hands - I don't think so.


If so, I stand corrected. I may be confusing it with HEX?

--
James Farrar |
London, SE23 |
  #7   Report Post  
Old February 11th 04, 08:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 92
Default Gatwick Express/Gold Card/Gatwick ticket machines


"James Farrar" wrote in message
...
Roland Perry wrote:

In message , James Farrar
writes

Remind, me, who operates Gatwick??


http://www.livedepartureboards.co.uk...ary.aspx?T=GTW

Network Rail. :-)



Well, the logos at the ticket office say Gatwick Express.


In which case, they're out of date.
http://www.networkrailstations.co.uk/index.cfm lists Gatwick Airport
station as an NR Major Station. ISTR they took it over relatively

recently.

GEX itself is owned by BAA, is it not?



National Express was the original franchisee for the period 1996-2011.
Has it changed hands - I don't think so.


If so, I stand corrected. I may be confusing it with HEX?

--
James Farrar |
London, SE23 |


Indeed - GEX is run by National Express.

HEX is *owned* by BAA PLC (it is NOT a franchise).

Stansted Express (which I shall not similarly abbreviate!) is run by WAGN.

However, they are all linked in a marketing alliance called the 'Airport
Express Alliance'

  #8   Report Post  
Old February 11th 04, 08:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,983
Default Gatwick Express/Gold Card/Gatwick ticket machines

In message , James Farrar
writes
http://www.networkrailstations.co.uk/index.cfm lists Gatwick Airport
station as an NR Major Station. ISTR they took it over relatively
recently.


Could be. I was last there at the end of November.
--
Roland Perry
  #9   Report Post  
Old February 11th 04, 10:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 32
Default Gatwick Express/Gold Card/Gatwick ticket machines

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:53:13 +0000, Barry Salter
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:18:23 GMT, Rupert Goodwins
wrote:

Late on Saturday night, I had to get back from Gatwick Airport to
London. I bought my ticket from the machine in the station concourse
by credit card: it gave me the option of various travelcard discounts
(but not LT Gold Card, the one I have), so I chose Network Card as the
nearest equivalent and carried on.

The ticket issued showed Network Card and Gatwick Express.


rest snipped

So, what's going on there? If he hadn't tried to cover up the Gatwick
Express bit with his thumb, I'dve believed that he was surprised by
the thing, but clearly he's seen this plenty of times before and is
used to bluffing it out.

From railcard.co.uk (and also mentioned in the Network Railcard
leaflet):

Your Network Railcard cannot be used for travel in First Class, on
Railair Links, on Gatwick Express, Anglia Railways mainline trains
starting and terminating in London Liverpool Street station, Eurostar,
Heathrow Express, special excursions or charters, to buy season tickets
or period Travelcards or in conjunction with some Train Company special
offers


(snip)


So in this case, the Ticket Inspector was correct...


(snip)

HTH,


Thanks. I didn't get a leaflet with my card (it's an Oyster) and
railcard.co.uk doesn't mention LT Gold Cards. Is it the same as a
Network Railcard?

I must say, I find the Gatwick Express/South Central mix confusing.
Especially late on a Saturday night, and *especially* after a long
party in Lewes to celebrate a journalist's 50th birthday.

Barry


Rupert


  #10   Report Post  
Old February 12th 04, 01:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 329
Default Gatwick Express/Gold Card/Gatwick ticket machines

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 23:38:21 GMT, Rupert Goodwins
wrote:

Thanks. I didn't get a leaflet with my card (it's an Oyster) and
railcard.co.uk doesn't mention LT Gold Cards. Is it the same as a
Network Railcard?


Sort of, but with a few extra benefits (no Minimum Fare, Child Flat Fare
of 1.00, and First Class upgrades available for 3.00 Adult, 1.50
Child, as opposed to 10 Minimum, 81% Discount (based on the
undiscounted Adult Fare) for Children and no First Class upgrades on
'normal' Network Railcards).

I must say, I find the Gatwick Express/South Central mix confusing.
Especially late on a Saturday night, and *especially* after a long
party in Lewes to celebrate a journalist's 50th birthday.


It does seem rather silly to have a dedicated TOC for a service that
only calls at two stations, but that decision goes back to the days of
BR when GatEx was part of the InterCity Sector.

HTH,

Barry

--
Barry Salter, barry at southie dot me dot uk
Read uk.* newsgroups? Read uk.net.news.announce!

DISCLAIMER: The above comments do not necessarily represent the
views of my employers.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happened to the LU ticket office ticket machines? [email protected] London Transport 6 January 22nd 17 04:05 PM
Gold Card season ticket and LT (was Annual vs monthly season tickets) Mizter T London Transport 18 October 21st 07 01:36 PM
Gold card extension/ticket advice Paul Speller London Transport 19 November 13th 06 08:41 AM
difference between Gold Record Card and Record Card David Howdon London Transport 4 March 29th 06 10:35 PM
Stansted Express Train - Express ride to a missed flight Mike Delorme London Transport 8 February 28th 04 05:42 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017