Old February 1st 15, 10:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Future Tube Map

On 2015\01\24 13:22, Peter Smyth wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

I found this amateur map showing the tube map with most of the "new"
overground lines.

http://www.projectmapping.co.uk/Revi...A%20routes.gif

It's obviously not finished, but the cluster of orange lines around
Hackney is a disaster and will be hard to avoid even on a finished
version.

Also, the device on the official tube map at Clapham Junction is very
clumsy compared to Ealing Broadway, and Canonbury / Highbury &
Islington is very clumsy compared to East Ham / Barking.

I think it's about time the Overground was given line names and
different colours on the map. How about ...

I believe that is exactly what is planned from May. The names will be
rather more prosaic than your suggestions though (North London Line,
East London Line, Watford Line, Barking Line, Lea Valley Line).

Do you have any inside information on whether any stations will be
renamed? It just occurred to me that Bethnal Green NR station could do
with being renamed, since having two stations with the same name is a
bad idea, and I believe the London Fire Brigade agrees with me on that.

Renaming it Whitechapel North would encourage people to use it as a
route to the Royal London Hospital... anyone from, say, Clapton wanting
the Royal London Hospital could do worse than get a train to Bethnal
Green NR and walk.

Curiously the TfL journey planner won't allow you to walk from Bethnal
Green NR to Whitechapel... if you say no buses, no underground, no
overground, then it tells you to get NR to Liverpool Street, get a coach
to Stansted and then get another coach back to Whitechapel!

Old February 1st 15, 10:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

http://www.projectmapping.co.uk/Revi...w%20GA%20route
s.gif

It's obviously not finished, but the cluster of orange lines around
Hackney is a disaster and will be hard to avoid even on a finished
version.

Also, the device on the official tube map at Clapham Junction is ery
[...]

Why not Bethnal Green South? It's still in Bethnal Green, though in LBTH St
Peter's Ward rather than Bethnal Green Ward which the LUL station is (just)
in.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old February 2nd 15, 01:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2015\02\01 23:57, wrote:

Why not Bethnal Green South? It's still in Bethnal Green, though in LBTH St
Peter's Ward rather than Bethnal Green Ward which the LUL station is (just)
in.

Oh yeah.
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/election-maps/gb/

Most of the people coming south on the Hackney Downs line who want
"Bethnal Green" would be better off alighting at Cambridge Heath rather
than BG-NR. Most people coming from Liverpool Street who want "Bethnal
Green" would get the tube instead. So a name based on Bethnal Green has
limited functionality, compared to a name based on Whitechapel. The
other option is "Spitalfields" or "East Spitalfields", but I don't know
the area well enough to know if that name might be downright misleading.

What's wrong with Whitechapel North?
Old February 2nd 15, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Basil Jet)
wrote:

On 2015\02\01 23:57,
wrote:

Why not Bethnal Green South? It's still in Bethnal Green, though in
LBTH St Peter's Ward rather than Bethnal Green Ward which the LUL
station is (just) in.

Oh yeah.
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/election-maps/gb/

Most of the people coming south on the Hackney Downs line who want
"Bethnal Green" would be better off alighting at Cambridge Heath
rather than BG-NR. Most people coming from Liverpool Street who want
"Bethnal Green" would get the tube instead. So a name based on
Bethnal Green has limited functionality, compared to a name based on
Whitechapel. The other option is "Spitalfields" or "East
Spitalfields", but I don't know the area well enough to know if that
name might be downright misleading.

What's wrong with Whitechapel North?

I take your points but rather a lot of railway assets round there have
Bethnal Green in their names, that's all.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old February 2nd 15, 12:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

What's wrong with Whitechapel North?

With new names it's best to avoid ones that imply a station group is in
existance and then have to deal with the chaos of passengers expecting their
tickets to be accepted and through interchanges on a single ticket.

--
My blog: http://adf.ly/4hi4c