Old February 5th 15, 09:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Underline?

This should be interesting.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/20...ndon-underline

I know that Seattle converted at least one tunnel, which was originally
to be for a light rail line, into a dedicated bus lane.

I've not seen, however, anything like this.

Old February 5th 15, 11:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , () wrote:

This should be interesting.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/20...-abandoned-tub
e-tunnels-london-underline

I know that Seattle converted at least one tunnel, which was
originally to be for a light rail line, into a dedicated bus lane.

I've not seen, however, anything like this.

Stark staring, surely? Only Holborn-Aldwych is truly abandoned for a start.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old February 6th 15, 12:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 22:37:19 +0000, "
wrote:

This should be interesting.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/20...ndon-underline

I know that Seattle converted at least one tunnel, which was originally
to be for a light rail line, into a dedicated bus lane.

Well no, it was sort of the reverse of that: it was built originally
as a bus tunnel, but with tracks installed for future light-rail
usage. But when the 'lectric trains came into view, things weren't
going to work so it had to be modified

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Seattle_Transit_Tunnel
Old February 6th 15, 01:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article you write:
I know that Seattle converted at least one tunnel, which was originally
to be for a light rail line, into a dedicated bus lane.

Nope. They put in rails when the tunnel was built in anticipation of
rail service, but only ran buses for about a decade. Then when they
were ready to build the long delayed light rail line, they found that
the rails in the tunnel were no good and spent a lot of money to tear
them out and put the current rails in. If you take the light rail
from SEA airport into Seattle, it ends up in the tunnel. If you get
off at the Westlake station, you can go upstairs and take the Monorail
("it's the transportation of the future and always will be!") to the
Space Needle.

Old February 6th 15, 06:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:45:25
on Thu, 5 Feb 2015, remarked:

Only Holborn-Aldwych is truly abandoned for a start.

And Borough to King William St. via London Bridge

Old February 6th 15, 08:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 18:45:25 -0600
wrote:
In article ,
() wrote:

This should be interesting.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/20...-abandoned-tub
e-tunnels-london-underline

I know that Seattle converted at least one tunnel, which was
originally to be for a light rail line, into a dedicated bus lane.

I've not seen, however, anything like this.

Stark staring, surely? Only Holborn-Aldwych is truly abandoned for a start.

Just another "design firm" (AKA a bunch of 2nd rate architects) wanting to
get noticed and touting for contracts.

By the time someone has manhandled their bike down to the old platform at
holborn they could have almost cycled to aldwych at street level. As for
the idiotic kinetic paving idea - someone should really send some of these
designers back to school to learn about conservation of energy.

--
Spud

Old February 6th 15, 08:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 05/02/15 22:37, wrote:
This should be interesting.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/20...ndon-underline

Only the Guardian ...

"Stretches of vacant tunnel remain at Goodge Street and Stockwell, for
example, remnants of a bizarre second world war plan to connect deep
bomb shelters into an express connection running parallel with the
Northern Line."

Ian

Old February 6th 15, 08:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 06 Feb 2015 09:23:17 +0000, The Real Doctor wrote:

On 05/02/15 22:37, wrote:
This should be interesting.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/20...ndon-underline

Only the Guardian ...

"Stretches of vacant tunnel remain at Goodge Street and Stockwell, for
example, remnants of a bizarre second world war plan to connect deep
bomb shelters into an express connection running parallel with the
Northern Line."

Ian

Are the disused Mail Rail tunnels suitable for this, or are they too small?
Old February 6th 15, 08:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 06/02/2015 09:23, The Real Doctor wrote:
On 05/02/15 22:37, wrote:
This should be interesting.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/20...ndon-underline

Only the Guardian ...

"Stretches of vacant tunnel remain at Goodge Street and Stockwell, for
example, remnants of a bizarre second world war plan to connect deep
bomb shelters into an express connection running parallel with the
Northern Line."

Nothing like getting the facts totally mangled.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old February 6th 15, 08:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 06 Feb 2015 09:46:48 +0000
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 06/02/2015 09:23, The Real Doctor wrote:
On 05/02/15 22:37, wrote:
This should be interesting.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/20...d-tube-tunnels
london-underline

Only the Guardian ...

"Stretches of vacant tunnel remain at Goodge Street and Stockwell, for
example, remnants of a bizarre second world war plan to connect deep
bomb shelters into an express connection running parallel with the
Northern Line."

Nothing like getting the facts totally mangled.

Well it is The Guardian. If you want facts rather than guesswork and uneducated
opinion then its the wrong paper.

--
Spud