Old March 16th 15, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Remains of Southwark Park station unearthed

Maybe the railway that named it should have followed GW practice and
named it something along the lines of "Southwark Park Road"?

Wasn't it rather a long way from Southwark Park Road - with Rotherhithe
New Road a major road much closer?

PS
There are historical maps at
http://maps.southwark.gov.uk/connect...ical_Selection
for anyone having problems with the link. The 1915-20 survey shows the
station and other maps the before and after.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old March 16th 15, 10:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 14:21:12 -0000, "Robin" wrote:

Maybe the railway that named it should have followed GW practice and
named it something along the lines of "Southwark Park Road"?

Wasn't it rather a long way from Southwark Park Road - with Rotherhithe
New Road a major road much closer?

PS
There are historical maps at
http://maps.southwark.gov.uk/connect...ical_Selection
for anyone having problems with the link. The 1915-20 survey shows the
station and other maps the before and after.

"Something along the lines of" doesn't mean "literally". In any case
is the road from Bodmin Road (now Parkway) Station to Bodmin called
"Bodmin Road"? The map I've looked at suggests not. I was under
the impression that the "road" suffix in GW parlance implied the
nearest point for a road connection to the tow/village named which is
what I was suggesting might have been appropriate in this case if
Southwark Park alone was considered insufficient.

I did fall into the same trap as Graeme Wall it would seem in assuming
the Oval was The Oval.
Old March 17th 15, 10:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Something along the lines of" doesn't mean "literally". In any case
is the road from Bodmin Road (now Parkway) Station to Bodmin called
"Bodmin Road"? The map I've looked at suggests not. I was under
the impression that the "road" suffix in GW parlance implied the
nearest point for a road connection to the tow/village named which is
what I was suggesting might have been appropriate in this case if
Southwark Park alone was considered insufficient.

I am sorry I misunderstood your rationale for the "Southwark Park Road"
name. I've read about that explanation in connection with Bodmin Road,
although that was miles from Bodmin in the middle of nowhere at a time
when I think it was by no means unusual for such a road (any main road!)
to the nearest "Big Town" to be known as "Big Town Road". Ditto Brixham
Road. I didn't realise it was an approach taken also in towns/cities
where stations were on a named road (let alone where the station wasn't
on the road with that name!) I've no idea what Londoners used to
stations like Spa Road, Old Kent Road, Queen's Road Peckham, and Denmark
Hill would've made of it.

I did fall into the same trap as Graeme Wall it would seem in assuming
the Oval was The Oval.

Perfectly understandable if one's never had cause to go to that area
(and for many years there were good reasons not to do so).

Old March 17th 15, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 17/03/2015 11:12, Robin wrote:
[...]

Still is if Millwall are playing at home.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old March 17th 15, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 11:12:50 on Tue, 17 Mar
2015, Robin remarked:
I did fall into the same trap as Graeme Wall it would seem in assuming
the Oval was The Oval.

Perfectly understandable if one's never had cause to go to that area
(and for many years there were good reasons not to do so).

I walked round The Oval - on the outside because it was shut - last
week. First time I've been there for ages.

That's because I was half an hour early for a meeting, on account of
using a 2tph train most of the way, and not wanting to risk being late.

Old March 18th 15, 01:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 11:19:50 +0000, Graeme Wall
wrote:

[...]

Millwall FC is fairly peaceful nowadays and with many families in the
crowd; any trouble tends to come from away fans looking for a bit of
bother with the yobs who either aren't there any more or are now
grandads taking the youngsters in with them. There is a category C+
game coming up against Charlton on Good Friday but much of that also
attaches to expected crowd numbers, there being plenty of spare seats
last night against Brighton but usually not a lot of spare room with
more local vistors.