Old February 15th 04, 08:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Musical Experiment?

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote in
:

The Oyster Helpline did Pachelbel's Canon for me...

How about the Pearl Fishers duet :-)

Old February 15th 04, 10:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Milford Junction was portrayed as a "suburban" station, without being
specific about location. If anything Milford Junction was in the North
West of England, judging by some of the Characters accents - and the
signs on the station that showed which platform to go to for some
places local to Carnforth.

I don't know why, but everybody seems to think that Brief Encounter
was set in the war - it wasn't - it was set pre war. It was MADE
during the war.

Have a look at:-

http://welcome.to/briefencounter

P.

Are you thinking of "Brief Encounter?". That was the fictitious "Milford
Junction", filmed at Carnforth in Lancashire.

Thanks; I always thought it was supposed to be a London station, and
that the woman lived in Surrey.

PaulO

Old February 16th 04, 08:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , "Andrew
Black (delete obvious bit)" writes
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote in
:

The Oyster Helpline did Pachelbel's Canon for me...

How about the Pearl Fishers duet :-)

ROFLOL!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for
Old February 16th 04, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

How about Junkie Doll by Mark Knopfler for Turnpike Lane and Turnham Green?

Turnpike Lane, Turnpike Lane
You spiked my arm
But you missed the vein
Now it's all gone
But the scars remain
Junkie doll, I was stuck on you
My junkie doll

Turnham Green, Turnham Green
You took me high
As I've ever been
Now it's all gone
And now I'm clean
Junkie doll, I was stuck on you
My junkie doll

And a little bit of this'd get you up
And a little bit of that'd get you down
A little bit of this'd get you up
And a little bit of that'd get you down
And a little bit of this'd get you up
A little bit of that'd get you down
A little bit of this'd get you up
A little bit of that'd get you down

Turnpike Lane, Turnpike Lane
You took my heart
Pan American
Now rain or shine
It's all the same
Junkie doll, I was stuck on you
My junkie doll

And a little bit of this'd get you up
A little bit of that'd get you down
A little bit of this'd get you up
A little bit of that'd get you down
And a little bit of this'd get you up
A little bit of that'd get you down
A little bit of this'd get you up
A little bit of that'd get you down

"RayB" wrote in message
Classical music was being played through the newly installed speakers in

the
ticket hall and on the ramp at Dagenham Heathway this morning and tonight

we
had Piano Music to listen to.

Is this happening at other stations?

RayB

---

Old February 16th 04, 12:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Kat" wrote in message
In message , woutster
writes

the classical music is meant to be a deterent to the kids who hang about
the stations - its been doen at several bus stations as well

What an appalling idea. (Using music as a deterrent)

Several high street stores have been using it for years as a way of
deterring me spending longer than absolutely necessary on their premises. I
asked them to turn the racket down in my local Borders bookshop the other
day and they just looked at me blankly and mumbled something like 'the
teenagers like it'.

PaulO

Old February 16th 04, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Sam Holloway" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:00:28 +0000 (UTC), "RayB"
wrote:

Classical music was being played through the newly
installed speakers in the ticket hall and on the ramp
at Dagenham Heathway this morning and tonight we
had Piano Music to listen to.

Is this happening at other stations?

Cambridge went through a phase of this - I haven't heard any piped
classics for a couple of years now, though, so I guess it's stopped.

In Cambridge, the biggest hooligans enjoy classical music!

I don't know whay you say that; hooligans in Cambridge appear to be much
like hooligans anywhere else.

PaulO

Old February 16th 04, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Classical music was being played through the newly installed speakers in

the
ticket hall and on the ramp at Dagenham Heathway this morning and tonight

we
had Piano Music to listen to.

Is this happening at other stations?

Cambridge went through a phase of this - I haven't heard any piped
classics for a couple of years now, though, so I guess it's stopped.

I think the idea behind the piped music at Cambridge station was to soothe
the weary traveller - though it irritated me hugely, and I was pleased that
WAGN abandoned it after a few weeks. Being a busy and well-staffed station
(and with security guards to meet the last train from London), I don't
think they have a 'youths hanging about' problem there.

I remember Waterloo used to play stirring marches in the morning peak (to
wake up the sleepy commuters) and more soothing pieces in the evening (to
calm them down after a stressful day in the bank).

PaulO

Old February 16th 04, 04:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kat wrote:
In message ,
woutster writes

the classical music is meant to be a deterent to the kids who hang
about the stations - its been doen at several bus stations as well

What an appalling idea. (Using music as a deterrent)
Although Spring played constantly while I was held in a queue for a
help-line did put me off Vivaldi for a while....

Music has long been used in the pub trade to determine the type of client
the place will attract.

There was an episode some years ago where a club adjacent to an underground
station played a particular type of music on a Saturday night that attracted
a particular type of person. Some of these people thought it amusing to play
games such as throwing the ticket collectors box down the escalator, with
the ticket collector still inside. There had been other incidents but this
was the most serious and the proverbial straw.

Thereafter traincrew stopped calling at the station after 9pm (IIRC) on a
Saturday. Eventually the management of the club made an approach, said they
would change the type of music and could the traincrew return to normal
working and see how it went? Traincrew were only too happy since they were
getting grief from LT management and the situation was doing no-one any
good, apart from the ticket collectors.

Music duly changed, different people attended, everyone happy.

Old February 16th 04, 04:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I think Brussels or somewhere plays classical music in the train
stations. Suppose to sooothe the passengers.

I also think the over-reactionay monkeys who manage London Underground
also came up with the idea it reduces graffti and vandalism as a bit
of Beethoven will put off even the hardened teenage thug.
Saying that. The toilets opposite Baker Street station are probably
the cleanest and best enviroment non-metal box toilets I have ever
been in. And they play classical music there. And you don't need a 20p
to get in.
Old February 16th 04, 04:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Oter wrote:

I remember Waterloo used to play stirring marches in the morning peak
(to wake up the sleepy commuters) and more soothing pieces in the
evening (to calm them down after a stressful day in the bank).

A thoroughly good idea.