Old February 16th 04, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Musical Experiment?

"Aidan Stanger" wrote in message

North Woolwich: "Don't Pay The Ferryman"

nonpc "Don't Pay The Fairyman" at Queen's Park? /nonpc

;-)

Ian

Old February 16th 04, 07:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
om...

What music would be played at stations like Richmond

"Surrey Seems To Be The Hardest Word" - Elton John/Blue

and Ealing Broadway?

"Sexual 'Ealing" by Marvin Gaye.

Ian

Old February 16th 04, 07:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message

Edgware bus station has piped 'Baroque' music.

Presumably there's not point in fixing it if it's not baroque?

;-)

Ian

Old February 16th 04, 07:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , CJG Now
Thankfully Living In The North writes

I think Brussels or somewhere plays classical music in the train
stations. Suppose to sooothe the passengers.

I also think the over-reactionay monkeys who manage London Underground
also came up with the idea it reduces graffti and vandalism as a bit
of Beethoven will put off even the hardened teenage thug.

There's more to it than that. There have been a number of studies which
suggest that some types of classical music (*) engage often undeveloped
parts of the mind much more than others. Some people (and I make no
judgements whatsoever) simply love this while others are scared stiff.

(*) This is a complex area, but current research suggests that it is the
essentially patterned-based styles of most 18th-century music that do
the trick - hence the endless Vivaldi, Bach and Mozart.

These styles differ from house, garage, club-remix or whatever because
they are not mind-numbingly repetitive - when ideas comes round again
they are almost always presented in subtly different ways. So, even
though the listener may not (and should not be expected to) quantify
what these are, the difference in musical patterning is what engages the
brain - and in so doing, stops one focusing on the lateness of the train
or bus.

Later "classical" styles such as bleeding chunks of Wagner tend not have
this effect - either you know and love it and want to hear the next 18
hours, or you dismiss it since you have no intention of sitting in a
station for a very long day merely in order to hear your best-loved
music. This is known as the "Classic FM" effect.

Saying that. The toilets opposite Baker Street station are probably
the cleanest and best enviroment non-metal box toilets I have ever
been in. And they play classical music there. And you don't need a 20p
to get in.

Classical music can be good, but it is an umbrella term. A pop song may
be good - but something emanating from the Elizabethan age or the period
of Victorian Music Hall songs can sound as remote from modern pop music
as a Bing Crosby hit from the 1950s. Engaging the brain in a meaningful
way, however sub-consciously, is the main issue for me.

--
Paul Terry
Old February 16th 04, 10:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Cast_Iron" wrote in message

There was an episode some years ago where a club
adjacent to an underground station played a particular
type of music on a Saturday night that attracted a
particular type of person. Some of these people
thought it amusing to play games such as throwing
the ticket collectors box down the escalator, with
the ticket collector still inside.

I'm fascinated to know what type of music it was, and what era. I'm guessing
Jazz Funk, early 80s - that seemed to have the greatest feeble lamebrain
proportion of any type of music ever.

(OT: I was once personally described as a "feeble lamebrain" in the NME! My
proudest moment! )

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 16th 04, 10:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
"Cast_Iron" wrote in message

There was an episode some years ago where a club
adjacent to an underground station played a particular
type of music on a Saturday night that attracted a
particular type of person. Some of these people
thought it amusing to play games such as throwing
the ticket collectors box down the escalator, with
the ticket collector still inside.

I'm fascinated to know what type of music it was, and what era. I'm
guessing Jazz Funk, early 80s - that seemed to have the greatest
feeble lamebrain proportion of any type of music ever.

Haven't the faintest idea what variety of music it that "caused" the aggro,
but it was replaced IIRC with decent 50/60s music. Your time period is right
although I can't remember exactly which year.

Old February 17th 04, 07:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian F. wrote:

"Aidan Stanger" wrote in message

North Woolwich: "Don't Pay The Ferryman"

nonpc "Don't Pay The Fairyman" at Queen's Park? /nonpc

;-)

No, the song for Queen's Park is "Innuendo"
Old February 17th 04, 10:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North wrote:
I think Brussels or somewhere plays classical music in the train
stations. Suppose to sooothe the passengers.

Not only Brussels, in fact, but almost every major station in Belgium
has classical music playing; both on mainline rail, as well as on the metro.

There was an experiment a few years ago in Ghent, where they played
music in the trams, but that wasn't a big success, and the idea was
abandonded.

SticheL (Belgium)

Old February 18th 04, 04:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Sam Holloway wrote:

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:39:58 -0000, "pinter"
wrote:
"Kat" wrote in message
In message , RayB
writes
Classical music was being played through the newly installed
speakers in the ticket hall and on the ramp at Dagenham Heathway
this morning and tonight we had Piano Music to listen to. Is this
happening at other stations?

Maybe someone can suggest some appropriate music for various stations.

City Thameslink: 'Twenty four minutes from Tulse Hill', Carter USM

tom

--
Suspicion Breeds Confidence