London Banter

-   -   DLR hole (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/14265-dlr-hole.html)

[email protected] March 30th 15 10:25 AM

DLR hole

I can't help thinking the lack of gates on the DLR is a gaping hole in
the Oyster system especially during rush hour when the trains are far too
packed for onboard ticket inspections to be feasible. Isn't it about time
TfL addressed this problem since there must be a huge amount of local fair
dodging going on?

--
Spud

Someone Somewhere March 30th 15 11:07 AM

DLR hole

On 30/03/2015 11:25, d wrote:
I can't help thinking the lack of gates on the DLR is a gaping hole in
the Oyster system especially during rush hour when the trains are far too
packed for onboard ticket inspections to be feasible. Isn't it about time
TfL addressed this problem since there must be a huge amount of local fair
dodging going on?

--
Spud

Surely you would then have to man every single station at a significant
extra cost? I believe the (reasonably sensible) policy is that if there
are gates they have to be manned such that no-one gets stuck either side
of them.

What I do wonder is the number of times I've been gripped between
Shadwell and Bank around lunchtime - surely that's one of the few parts
of the DLR that isn't actually subject to fare evasion as you're then
entering an area where almost all stations are gated (Waterloo excepted).

[email protected] March 30th 15 11:19 AM

DLR hole

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 12:07:49 +0100
Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 30/03/2015 11:25, d wrote:
I can't help thinking the lack of gates on the DLR is a gaping hole in
the Oyster system especially during rush hour when the trains are far too
packed for onboard ticket inspections to be feasible. Isn't it about time
TfL addressed this problem since there must be a huge amount of local fair
dodging going on?

--
Spud

Surely you would then have to man every single station at a significant
extra cost? I believe the (reasonably sensible) policy is that if there
are gates they have to be manned such that no-one gets stuck either side
of them.

Probably. But TfL ditched the bendy buses with the fatuous reason that fare
evasion was costing them a fortune (though I suspect somewhat less than the
turkey that replaced them) so surely the DLR must be doing the same? Unless
it was all BS.

What I do wonder is the number of times I've been gripped between
Shadwell and Bank around lunchtime - surely that's one of the few parts
of the DLR that isn't actually subject to fare evasion as you're then
entering an area where almost all stations are gated (Waterloo excepted).

Not all tube stations have gates. Finsbury park for example. And others have
gate free links to mainline services you could "escape" on. So the tube isn't
as impenetrable as some would have you believe. Which means someone commuting
from one of these stations to somewhere on the DLR could in theory have a free
trip.

--
Spud

Someone Somewhere March 30th 15 11:22 AM

DLR hole

On 30/03/2015 12:19, d wrote:
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 12:07:49 +0100
Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 30/03/2015 11:25,
d wrote:
[...]

True - but they seem to be riding between Bank and Shadwell - I'd have
thought between Limehouse and Shadwell would be better as people could
easily alight at Shadwell and walk into the City.

Mizter T March 30th 15 03:21 PM

DLR hole

On 30/03/2015 11:25, d wrote:
I can't help thinking the lack of gates on the DLR is a gaping hole in
the Oyster system especially during rush hour when the trains are far too
packed for onboard ticket inspections to be feasible. Isn't it about time
TfL addressed this problem since there must be a huge amount of local fair
dodging going on?

There are RPI teams on the DLR who do station checks as well as on train
checks.

[email protected] March 30th 15 08:41 PM

DLR hole

Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 30/03/2015 11:25, d wrote:
[...]

Isn't Finsbury Park gated now? I think I had to go through two sets of gates between Victoria Line and GTR last week.
--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] March 31st 15 08:28 AM

DLR hole

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 13:41:03 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:
On Monday, 30 March 2015 12:19:53 UTC+1, wrote:
Isn't Finsbury Park gated now? I think I had to go through two sets of gates
between Victoria Line and GTR last week.

Its gated on the mainline platforms but its still ungated from the tube to
the exit. Or it was last time I went through there last year.

--
Spud

[email protected] April 1st 15 01:15 AM

DLR hole

wrote:
On Monday, 30 March 2015 12:19:53 UTC+1, wrote:
Isn't Finsbury Park gated now? I think I had to go through two sets of
gates between Victoria Line and GTR last week.

Its gated on the mainline platforms but its still ungated from the tube to
the exit. Or it was last time I went through there last year.

Hence my comment that it might have changed by last week!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] April 1st 15 09:04 AM

DLR hole

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 20:15:24 -0500
wrote:
In article ,

wrote:
On Monday, 30 March 2015 12:19:53 UTC+1, wrote:
Isn't Finsbury Park gated now? I think I had to go through two sets of
gates between Victoria Line and GTR last week.

Its gated on the mainline platforms but its still ungated from the tube to
the exit. Or it was last time I went through there last year.

Hence my comment that it might have changed by last week!

Fair point! I'll have to go and have a look sometime.

--
Spud

[email protected] April 1st 15 10:34 AM

DLR hole

In article , d
() wrote:

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 20:15:24 -0500
wrote:

wrote:
Isn't Finsbury Park gated now? I think I had to go through two sets of
gates between Victoria Line and GTR last week.

Its gated on the mainline platforms but its still ungated from the tube
to the exit. Or it was last time I went through there last year.

Hence my comment that it might have changed by last week!

Fair point! I'll have to go and have a look sometime.

I might be going again before May 7th so I'll take pictures maybe.

--
Colin Rosenstiel