Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 21st 15, 02:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default London Tubes: Unexpected locations of underground trains

Charles Ellson wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 02:41:35 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2015\06\20 22:03, Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:31:34 on Sat, 20 Jun 2015,
" remarked:
I wonder if they employ trippers on that stretch or if they fit the
test trains with AWS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29110845

I've seen the tube trains under test at Old Dalby (last time I drove up
to the East Midlands a month ago). Unfortunately there wasn't anywhere
convenient for me to stop to take a photo.

The other odd thing about the line is the OHL a long way from any
electrified service lines. https://goo.gl/maps/Q70Uo

I think it's the only section of track, anywhere, with both fourth rail and
overhead electrification. I think that it's currently being used for both S
stock and IEP testing. Old Dalby is also where the currently surplus S7
stick waiting to enter service is being stored.

One unusual location for ex-LU stock the BBC missed is Long Marston:
http://www.railtechnologymagazine.co...e-this-anymore

IIRC Drayton Park has both fourth rail and overhead,
although obviously not for much distance.

The fourth rail might not be doing a lot unless it has been left
connected but dropped onto the sleepers as done between Harrow and
Watford.

It's certainly not a functional fourth rail, and nor would 313s connect to
a centre rail anyway.